Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 4:57 PM
Salut tout le monde!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Sandy, again, I love your pictures.

Looks like you ventured far from the loop.
Was there a point of interest in that area ? (beside the magnificent view of Sears from afar ...)
Thanks Fabb for theses compliments, there is Chinatown, it was my last day so I've only had the time to make a small morning visit, IMO it doesn't really worth to waste time there, I stayed only about 1/2 hour, seems like there's only 1 interesting street, maybe I missed something

I've just posted some photos of Chinatown, among others, to show you this district: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...03#post3697403

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 4:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
I agree, in France, most of people don't know this tower exists, they don't even visit Chicago, big mistake!

For me the Sears is The symbol of Chicago, I love it, here's a few pics I took:

do they know anything about any building in the us or other countries?
or do they still think the eiffle tower is still the tallest like how people in new york still think the ESB is still the tallest.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 6:40 PM
Salut tout le monde!

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
do they know anything about any building in the us or other countries?
or do they still think the eiffle tower is still the tallest like how people in new york still think the ESB is still the tallest.
No, they know that Eiffel Tower is a "small" contruction but a big one for Paris, IMO most of people think that the US have the tallest buildings because everything is the US is big (a US cliché in France, most of the time true compared to France, even if Paris has just decided to develop high contructions in La Défence, anyway it will be smaller than US buildings)

The average French just begins to visit the US since the dollar decreased (and because of affordable plane tickets these last 10 years), before that, it was reserved to high salaries or people who love so much this country that they have made savings during several years to be able to go there.
So the 1st place they want to see, is NYC or the west with National parks because for the French THIS is the US but I think it could change if the dollar keeps its low rate, they will probably want to see other cities as second trip then they'll know that the Sears tower is in Chicago.

And they see on TV that there's higher buildings and great projects elsewhere in the world, but they just don't remember that info a few weeks later! the 8 PM news is an institution in France, everybody watch it, there's many reports at the end of this program, on foreign events / projects... today there's a subject on the FBI, for the 100 years, honestly, did you know that?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2008, 10:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
...IMO it doesn't really worth to waste time there, I stayed only about 1/2 hour, seems like there's only 1 interesting street, maybe I missed something
i think you did
our chinatown is pretty vast. there is a 'new' section and the 'old' section. the 'new' section is my favorite because of the setting (an intimate harry weese designed outdoor mall) and because it's riddle with my favorite hong kong style restaurants.

*chris brunn

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 6:11 AM
Salut tout le monde!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
i think you did
our chinatown is pretty vast. there is a 'new' section and the 'old' section. the 'new' section is my favorite because of the setting (an intimate harry weese designed outdoor mall) and because it's riddle with my favorite hong kong style restaurants.

*chris brunn

Ok, thanks for the info, next time I will stay longer and visit the new section.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
If only the Tower had an architectual spire on it instead of broadcast antennas, this would have most likely remained the tallest completed skyscraper in the world. Either way however; Sears Tower is one of the world's most iconic skyscrapers period!
i like the antenas.
if the sears tower had one spire on it then it would not look so good.
but to me there is no differnce between a spire and an antena there both forms of matter right. it to me is still the tallest... but not for long.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 2:42 PM
///M

Quote:
The average French just begins to visit the US since the dollar decreased (and because of affordable plane tickets these last 10 years), before that, it was reserved to high salaries or people who love so much this country that they have made savings during several years to be able to go there. So the 1st place they want to see, is NYC or the west with National parks because for the French THIS is the US but I think it could change if the dollar keeps its low rate, they will probably want to see other cities as second trip then they'll know that the Sears tower is in Chicago.
Cool to see that you and others are taking advantage and venturing out in the States more, Chicago is a great place, as you know... makes for a nice vacation. Now if the Dollar can recover some I'll finally be able to make my trip over to France for LeMans!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 4:14 AM
BANNED

Here is a pic that i just had to post because its so amazing!! With the iconic sears tower.

This pic is from:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im..._the_lake.jpeg

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 5:45 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

The skyline looks so small there, but that is an amazing photo. Only the tallest of the talls break through the clouds.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:01 PM
BANNED

^^^
Imagine that photo with the chicago spire!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:09 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post

Here is a pic that i just had to post because its so amazing!! With the iconic sears tower.

This pic is from:http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im..._the_lake.jpeg
awesome picture nearly looks like Dubai with the dune like clouds

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 7:54 PM

08/01/08

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 7:51 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 8:56 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
That would mean that the only icons that are known to the average person is just the ESB and the Eiffel Tower.
Probably correct. ESB is the only iconic skyscraper in the world.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 9:38 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I used to be in love with the Sears Tower because of it's size but then I started looking into other skyscrapers and now it's just pretty tall with a design that compliments the skyline, just not the best design out there. Hopefully next Summer I'll get to visit Chicago and I'll go up on this mammoth.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2008, 12:46 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 6:41 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=Aleks0o01;3716172]
Quote:
just pretty tall with a design that compliments the skyline,
Pretty tall?
it was the tallest building in the world for over 20 years.
and it is still one of the tallest in the world.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 12:46 AM

I like the way its asymmetrical setbacks give it a distinctly different shape when seen from different angles. I like its appearance less, however, since the addition of the smaller antennae.

I'm glad I got to visit the Sears Tower when it was still the undisputed tallest building in the world. I couldn't believe it when the Petronas Towers were completed and I saw a diagram comparing them to the Sears Tower. While some legitimately taller buildings have been (and continue to be) built, I will never give up the belief that the Sears Tower was cheated out of its World's Tallest title 6 years too soon.

Perhaps the most mind-blowing aspect of Sears is the way it dwarfs its neighbors 311 Wacker and AT&T, which would themselves dominate the skylines of most cities.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 8:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upward View Post
I like the way its asymmetrical setbacks give it a distinctly different shape when seen from different angles.
the structural system of the building is actually symmetric, however asymmetric it looks from around town:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture