HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
I like the buildings. It is like some people on the forum forgot what CPS was going to do.
As I remember it, they were either staying put, moving into another building, (the option they obviously chose), or to construct a new HQ from the ground up.

Option two is better than option one, but I'd have preferred option three. I'm not going to apologize for it, and I won't stop mentioning it from time to time.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:32 AM

Oh I am glad as heck that they are occupying those buildings. I'm just indifferent to the remodel.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Oh I am glad as heck that they are occupying those buildings. I'm just indifferent to the remodel.
Which is fine. For the money they are throwing at the remodel, I'd expect better, but a new tower could have been built as well.

Those other two buildings could have been torn down for all I care. They are ugly now, and while they will be better with the remodel, certainly not anything special.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 3:32 PM
James

It didn't even strike me they could have build a completely new structure, as the Frost was actually cheaper than remodeling these.

On the other hand, I feel like this is better because that area is a little dead and could use a shot in the arm with the amount of people that are moving into the area for work.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
It didn't even strike me they could have build a completely new structure, as the Frost was actually cheaper than remodeling these.

On the other hand, I feel like this is better because that area is a little dead and could use a shot in the arm with the amount of people that are moving into the area for work.
^This. No non-public sector company would be able to justify to shareholders the huge cost CPS is taking on, which is why it's been vacant so long.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 8:31 AM

I stole this image from an unrelated Rivard Report article because it shows progress on the remodel.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:
I stole this image from an unrelated Rivard Report article because it shows progress on the remodel.

I've always loved this SA skyline view from driving 281 South into downtown.
I remember ABC used this view during one of the many NBA Finals that have been telecast here.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and the CPS headquarters project is in full bloom, I see.
I hope the buildings have spectacular lighting at night to make a strong presence in the night skyline!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 5:30 PM

Passed by the under construction CPS building on 2/7/18 and they're putting up the scaffolding on the tower farthest away from the riverwalk. Looks like they'll be doing some demo work to the exterior very soon.

Last edited by PDG91; Apr 17, 2018 at 7:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post

Passed by the under construction CPS building on 2/7/18 and they're putting up the scaffolding on the tower farthest away from the riverwalk. Looks like they'll be doing some demo work to the exterior very soon.
They're going to remove all the brick on the exterior.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 3:44 AM

From these blah and beige buildings, a beautiful Phoenix shall arise!!!!
Cant' wait to see the finished buildings, especially at night, which I hope the buildings will be showcased with good night lighting!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 5:15 AM

[IMG]CPS Energy Construction by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
[IMG]CPS Energy Construction by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]
Looking forward to this being completed. Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:45 PM

A few update pics from yesterday.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:28 PM

Crane tower going up.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:49 PM

Still disappointed that this is what CPS decided. I don't see the cost benefit of taking these buildings down to their core against building something new.

But, these buildings should look a lot better when done.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Still disappointed that this is what CPS decided. I don't see the cost benefit of taking these buildings down to their core against building something new.

But, these buildings should look a lot better when done.
I am with you on this. Makes no sense to me financially. Over 200 million and 28 months to redo a gross building. The Frost Tower cost 145 million. It would have been cheaper to just start over.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:21 AM

It was probably the best possible outcome for that property though, considering it will now be occupied for a long time to come, and it was not commercially attractive. Who knows when the building might otherwise have been leased?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:35 AM

Quote:
It was probably the best possible outcome for that property though, considering it will now be occupied for a long time to come, and it was not commercially attractive. Who knows when the building might otherwise have been leased?
I absolutely understand your thought on this, but CPS is a public entity, in that a good portion of their revenue comes from the citizenry. While I'm sure this property will be upgraded, it is incumbent on them to use the money we pay them wisely.

I don't know all of the formulations they used to come to this decision, but 250 million for this renovation vs. 145 million to build Frost Tower from the ground up seems a little out of line.

I'm sure demolition of these buildings, coupled with a new tower, would have been at least as expensive, if not more.

And, perhaps, comparing this with the cost of Frost is a bit unfair, as the deal with the city meant they didn't have to buy the land.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 1:12 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ Yeah, Frost was a vacant lot with only a parking lot to tear up. Demolishing these would require complete demolition, tearing up the foundations (A: possibly), piling and pouring new foundations (if A then B), and then the complete construction costs. I don't see how that could have been cheaper.

They're going to look better than before, but not by a whole lot. Oh well, at least it's an improvement.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 6:34 PM

The crane for CPS is going up, and its tall!!!!

Will try to snap a picture of it later today when I run downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio