HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 6:47 PM

Came across this article today. Looks like things are progressing, albeit slowly.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/sa...ers/ar-BBDjLcU

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 10:58 PM

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 11:44 PM
JACKinBeantown

Turning a turd into a punchbowl.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Still interested to see what happens to the current HQ. I wouldn't mind at all to see that thing come down. That's prime real estate that could be something grand.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Never heard that before.

Maybe “sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl” makes more sense.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:34 AM

What a freaking joke! Horrible. More brown and two glass windows added. Pfft. I was actually happy SA was getting another glass building, I guess I could just wait until it's finished. Who knows, the Frost Tower could still end up brown.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:36 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
What a freaking joke! Horrible. More brown and two glass windows added. Pfft. I was actually happy SA was getting another glass building, I guess I could just wait until it's finished. Who knows, the Frost Tower could still end up brown.
I’m confused by your anger. The design is the same as shown in the other renderings on the previous pages. The glassy side is on the other side (Riverwalk side) of the recent rendingwrs on this page.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:55 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I’m confused by your anger. The design is the same as shown in the other renderings on the previous pages. The glassy side is on the other side (Riverwalk side) of the recent rendingwrs on this page.
I can see their frustration... I love the river side, this side is okay. But i'll reserve my judgment until it's finished.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 4:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy View Post
Never heard that before.

Maybe “sticks out like a turd in a punch bowl” makes more sense.
I was going for something a little offbeat.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 6:22 PM

New renderings.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:52 PM
JACKinBeantown

Looks like something you'd see at the intersection of 10 & 410. It's OK... I'll give it a 6.

Thanks for posting the renderings, Sir King William, the king who is also a knight.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Looks like something you'd see at the intersection of 10 & 410. It's OK... I'll give it a 6.

Thanks for posting the renderings, Sir King William, the king who is also a knight.
Not even you can complain about what those buildings are now and what they will become (the renderings), right?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 9:26 PM

Quote:

From what I've seen you post throughout this forum, I feel like nothing really satisfies you...

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 9:58 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
From what I've seen you post throughout this forum, I feel like nothing really satisfies you...
Frost Tower:
Quote:
I am blown away. That's not what I was expecting at all. It will get San Antonio national attention. It reminds me of of Gehry's IAC Building in New York, but taller.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_u0AkM6P-0q...2.40.35+PM.png

Canopy by Hilton:
Quote:
Definitely an improvement over what is there, and it incorporates the old whitish stone building with the three dark windows into the base.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=78214...28.48,,0,-1.65

The Floodgate:
Quote:
I like it. It's a great design for a 10-story building. If it were tall enough to make an impression on the skyline (20 stories or so) I wouldn't like it as much. But I think it's a nice fit for the location and especially at that size.

Lower Broadway Office Tower:
Quote:
Excellent!

You stand corrected.

On another note, you shouldn't end a sentence with an ellipsis.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Frost Tower:

Canopy by Hilton:

The Floodgate:

Lower Broadway Office Tower:

You stand corrected.

On another note, you shouldn't end a sentence with an ellipsis.

I stand corrected, but I've seen your comments about the pearl project on Newell st... seems like you have a lot to say about that project as well as this CPS building that aren't too positive. Also, I can add an ellipsis whenever I want to...anyways, I don't want to get off topic so i'll end it here.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
I stand corrected, but I've seen your comments about the pearl project on Newell st... seems like you have a lot to say about that project as well as this CPS building that aren't too positive. Also, I can add an ellipsis whenever I want to...anyways, I don't want to get off topic so i'll end it here.
This is a forum for sharing news and opinions about buildings, mostly. It's nobody's job to satisfy you with their opinions. If you like everything you see here, I'm happy for you! You must be a real positive, uncritical person.

Myself, I'm not sure this building remodel is an improvement over the beige brick boxes of its past. It's just a change in style that may look as dated and dowdy forty years from now as what was already there. Remember the Hedrick Building (although these buildings in no way compare with the quality of the Hedrick Building).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Not even you can complain about what those buildings are now and what they will become (the renderings), right?
Maybe Jack can't, but I can. 150 million to refurbish these, when the Frost Tower is 142 Million?

Yeah, I can complain. They could have built a brand new HQ for as much or less.

And like Spoiler noted, we may be looking at these in forty years, maybe less, wondering what they were thinking.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
This is a forum for sharing news and opinions about buildings, mostly. It's nobody's job to satisfy you with their opinions. If you like everything you see here, I'm happy for you! You must be a real positive, uncritical person.

Myself, I'm not sure this building remodel is an improvement over the beige brick boxes of its past. It's just a change in style that may look as dated and dowdy forty years from now as what was already there. Remember the Hedrick Building (although these buildings in no way compare with the quality of the Hedrick Building).
Ok, i'm sorry. I'm not here to persuade others or to tell them how to think or feel. I retract my earlier comment. Back to the matter at hand, I honestly like this design. A good majority of the exterior covered with glass with a hint of iron clad siding or whatever you call the brown siding they will be using, that's something that is being done on today's newer buildings. Sure, it could be outdated 40 years from now just like any other previous building downtown (like the at&t bldg for example). Only time will tell.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:12 AM

I like the buildings. It is like some people on the forum forgot what CPS was going to do.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 1:14 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Ok, i'm sorry. I'm not here to persuade others or to tell them how to think or feel. I retract my earlier comment. Back to the matter at hand, I honestly like this design. A good majority of the exterior covered with glass with a hint of iron clad siding or whatever you call the brown siding they will be using, that's something that is being done on today's newer buildings. Sure, it could be outdated 40 years from now just like any other previous building downtown (like the at&t bldg for example). Only time will tell.
Respect

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio