HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 14, 2015, 8:15 PM

The RFP for CPS new DT Building has been released..

The Proposed Development is anticipated to include the following attributes:

• An office building totaling approximately 200,000 – 300,000 square feet

• Associated parking to accommodate 1200 to 1300 vehicles

• Proximity to public transportation (planned and existing) is considered favorable

• Land sites must allow for suitable due diligence period, and an anticipated closing of Q2/Q3 2015

• Anticipated land sites for the office building must be at least 3.0 acres and fee-simple ownership is preferred

• Anticipated land sites for the parking structure must be at least 2.0 acres and can be contiguous with the land for the office building (preferred) or separated from the office site by one public thoroughfare. Diagonal separation across two intersecting streets is discouraged.

All submissions are due by 5:00 PM CT on Monday, April 27, 2015.

The timeline is on the fast track!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysal View Post
The RFP for CPS new DT Building has been released..

The Proposed Development is anticipated to include the following attributes:

• An office building totaling approximately 200,000 – 300,000 square feet

• Associated parking to accommodate 1200 to 1300 vehicles

• Proximity to public transportation (planned and existing) is considered favorable

• Land sites must allow for suitable due diligence period, and an anticipated closing of Q2/Q3 2015

• Anticipated land sites for the office building must be at least 3.0 acres and fee-simple ownership is preferred

• Anticipated land sites for the parking structure must be at least 2.0 acres and can be contiguous with the land for the office building (preferred) or separated from the office site by one public thoroughfare. Diagonal separation across two intersecting streets is discouraged.

All submissions are due by 5:00 PM CT on Monday, April 27, 2015.

The timeline is on the fast track!
I'm hoping they will increase the sq footage of the building.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 4:07 PM

I read that CPS wants their new headquarters to be 10-15 stories tall.....Wow! What happened to the "iconic tower" they wanted to build to change the skyline of SA? Might as well stay at their current location! Just my opinion, don't want to offend anyone.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman2800 View Post
I read that CPS wants their new headquarters to be 10-15 stories tall.....Wow! What happened to the "iconic tower" they wanted to build to change the skyline of SA? Might as well stay at their current location! Just my opinion, don't want to offend anyone.
Can you provide a link to where you read this?

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Can you provide a link to where you read this?
[PDF] request for qualifications for design-build services for the cps energy http://media.bizj.us/view/img/581644...n-firm-rfp.pdf

Last edited by fordman2800; May 17, 2015 at 5:50 PM. Reason: wrong link

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 9:59 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

That's jut saying how much floor space they'll meed. A developer can submit a 50 story building design and have 10-15 stories carved out for CPS and the rest on spec. It's up to the developers.

The final design isn't anywhere near being known.

You may just want to take a breath.

Old Posted May 18, 2015, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
That's jut saying how much floor space they'll meed. A developer can submit a 50 story building design and have 10-15 stories carved out for CPS and the rest on spec. It's up to the developers.

The final design isn't anywhere near being known.

You may just want to take a breath.
Thanks for clarifying that, but I still think it'll be way smaller than the Frost tower. Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 2:30 PM
Paradise

I didn't see this posted, but here is a list of competitors for the headquarters.

Six contractors competing to build new CPS Energy headquarters
Quote:
-Hensel Phelps
-Harvey Cleary with Gensler
-Skanska & Zachary with HOK
-SpawGlass with Marmon Mok
-Sundt with Smithgroup and RVK
-Swinerton with Ziegler Cooper and GSC Architects
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...ps-energy.html

Curious about all of them, but Gensler in particular. They seem to have a knack for tall headquarter buildings.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanTrance View Post
I didn't see this posted, but here is a list of competitors for the headquarters.

Six contractors competing to build new CPS Energy headquarters

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...ps-energy.html

Curious about all of them, but Gensler in particular. They seem to have a knack for tall headquarter buildings.
That's a good list. I'm excited that this is still moving forward. I was afraid it would get shelved with Frost moving forward. A second new office building downtown is badly needed.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2015, 10:41 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
That's a good list. I'm excited that this is still moving forward. I was afraid it would get shelved with Frost moving forward. A second new office building downtown is badly needed.

If there was demand for more class-a, high-rise office space, you would see more true spec development (which is currently nonexistent). If I am not mistaken, at least half of the originally planed Frost and CPS developments will be taken up by Frost and CPS - leaving very little spec space.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 11:27 PM

Maybe we're getting somewhere:

CPS Energy has selected three out of six respondents to move on to the next stage of the public application process for the coveted contract to design and construct – or renovate – the publicly-owned utility’s new headquarters.

Each team selected is comprised of architectural, engineering, and construction firms:

Houston-based construction and engineering firm Harvey Cleary, international architecture firm Gensler, and San Antonio-based Lake Flato Architects;
Austin-based construction firm Hensel Phelps and Denver-based architectural firm Fentress;
Tucson-based construction and general contracting firm Sundt, Ann Arbor-based architectural firm SmithGroup, and San Antonio-based RVK Architects.

Teams have until Oct. 31 to formally respond to CPS Energy’s request for proposals (RFP).

http://therivardreport.com/cps-energ...h-new-hq-plan/

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 1:59 AM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Maybe we're getting somewhere:

CPS Energy has selected three out of six respondents to move on to the next stage of the public application process for the coveted contract to design and construct – or renovate – the publicly-owned utility’s new headquarters.

Each team selected is comprised of architectural, engineering, and construction firms:

Houston-based construction and engineering firm Harvey Cleary, international architecture firm Gensler, and San Antonio-based Lake Flato Architects;
Austin-based construction firm Hensel Phelps and Denver-based architectural firm Fentress;
Tucson-based construction and general contracting firm Sundt, Ann Arbor-based architectural firm SmithGroup, and San Antonio-based RVK Architects.

Teams have until Oct. 31 to formally respond to CPS Energy’s request for proposals (RFP).

http://therivardreport.com/cps-energ...h-new-hq-plan/

Gensler, Lake Flato, and Harvey-Cleary seems like an all-star lineup. Gotta be the front runner.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 10:13 PM
Paradise

With Gensler and Fentress competing, this sounds like opportunity for some great designs. With this and Pelli doing Frost, SA could be getting the boost it needs downtown.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 7:17 PM

Interview with Outgoing CEO Doyle Beneby

Rivard Report article/interview with CPS CEO Doyle Beneby reveals some interesting tidbits about CPS HQ plans and the EPIcenter. Looks like plans will be presented before EOY for a new HQ to be built. Plus, I'm exciting for the potential game changer the EPIcenter will be as a hub for education, innovation and research. Attracting talent and development to SA.

"RR: Some in the downtown and development community were surprised to see CPS Energy move ahead with its request for proposals from design/build firms for a new headquarters...Have you and your committee members decided whether to go with new construction or consider existing commercial office space?
DB: ... I fully expect for Paula and team to continue on with our plan to secure a new downtown headquarters solution for our employees, and I would imagine that decision will be made before the end of the year.
RR: Speaking of real estate, CPS Energy announced plans earlier this year to develop a Center for Innovation (EPIcenter) at the former Mission Road Power Plant, ... What exactly do you envision there? Will it be a sort of energy museum and demonstration sight for new technologies or something else?
DB: The EPIcenter plans will continue on. In fact, we have incorporated and are currently conducting a search for the center’s executive director. The EPIcenter will be an energy museum, clean technology showcase and research and development (R&D) lab, that offers office and conference space as well."

http://www.therivardreport.com/conve...-doyle-beneby/

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 6:06 PM

Any info or new rumors on this project....as far as where they want to build? Or is CPS really concentrating on selecting their new CEO first

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 10:24 PM
Member since 2001

I would assume if there was new info/rumors it would have been posted. Just keep checking back from time to time.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 10:49 PM
Paradise

Well this is getting somewhere.

CPS trustees OK buying downtown property for its headquarters
Quote:
By David Hendricks Updated 5:25 pm, Monday, June 27, 2016

CPS Energy has chosen the former headquarters of Valero Energy Corp. downtown at Avenue B and McCullough Avenue as its new headquarters.

The utility plans to leave its current site at 145 Navarro St. downtown and move into the new location in 2019. The location also formerly housed offices of AT&T, after Valero left the building.

CPS trustees voted Monday afternoon to purchase the property. Terms were not immediately revealed. The next step is the design and construction of the utility’s new headquarters.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ts-8327996.php

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 10:53 PM
Paradise

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 10:55 PM
James

welp, we can kiss a new tower goodbye... BUT! at least we they are taking over that building.

I always thought those would be sweet converted to condos with town homes fronting Ave B.

But again, i'm glad they are getting new life finally.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2016, 11:07 PM
Paradise

Here's another article from business journals

CPS Energy to buy, renovate old AT&T building for its new headquarters
Quote:
City-owned utility company CPS Energy plans to buy and renovate the old AT&T building in downtown San Antonio to be its new headquarters.

With its existing headquarters off Navarro Street and other offices already at full capacity, CPS Energy Board Chairman Ed Kelley said he was pleased to move forward with the project.

“This decision is in keeping with the guiding principles of staying in the downtown area, spurring economic development and, most importantly, managing the costs in a way that will not drive an increase in customer rates," Kelley said in a statement. "The team delivered on these principles, and I am delighted with this effort.”

CPS Energy will next move into the design and construction phase of the project. The utility is expected to release a request for proposals to find a general contractor.

The new headquarters is scheduled to be completed in 2019.
It would have been nice to have a new tower, but, like I remember saying, with Beneby gone, I doubted there would be as much push for one. At least those buildings will be put to use.

Well we still have the Frost Bank Tower to look forward to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio