HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
Submitted for conversation...Wouldn't it be better to have two 400'ers than one 800'? Please don't get me wrong, things are finally starting to happen here and I don't want our downtown to look like OKC with a couple kinda tall buildings and one really tall. A more extreme example would be if that 800'er gets built in Midland. Just sticking my neck out there....
At this point, a 600'er would make an impact on the skyline and I would prefer (just a personal preference) to keep the Tower the tallest or at least not too much shorter than our (future) tallest. Would I prefer a 600'er or 2 300'ers? Well, it would depend on the design of the building. If it ended up "office park-like" then I would hate either one. Mixed-use maximizing the street would be the best with any height. I think I might squeak out the preference for a single tall only to take up less real estate and leave room for more residential.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 2:39 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
Submitted for conversation...Wouldn't it be better to have two 400'ers than one 800'? Please don't get me wrong, things are finally starting to happen here and I don't want our downtown to look like OKC with a couple kinda tall buildings and one really tall. A more extreme example would be if that 800'er gets built in Midland. Just sticking my neck out there....
I say go for the tall one.

http://en.wikiarquitectura.com/image...tate_Nuves.jpg

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 3:01 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I second this. lol

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 3:41 AM
Let's Eat!

I say anything that will look good as coming up from the south or goin down from the north.

And of course something in that 950 range.Jk 550 or 600 would be nice though.

But it will most likely be 400 to 450 at best.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 3:56 AM

Why don't builders try to build up northwest of downtown instead of the convention center/Hemisphere area.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 12:04 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

San Antonio | CPS Headquarters | N/A FLOORS | Proposed

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO — With its rate increase fight behind it, CPS Energy officials say they plan to formally issue their request for proposals to relocate the utility's headquarters from its current location downtown.

The move would open up prime space on the tourist-centric Riverwalk for redevelopment, potentially putting millions of dollars worth of property — which is tax-exempt because the city-owned utility owns it — on the rolls.

“We have pulled back the (request for proposals) for the new headquarters and we're going to resubmit it — we were just kind of waiting until we got past the rate discussion,” CPS CEO Doyle Beneby said in an interview.

He said that the utility wouldn't take any options off the table, he has a “bias towards seeing, vetting if there are any new construction opportunities out there.”

Utility officials said that if they were to leave their Riverwalk offices, their new headquarters would remain downtown.

It's not the first time Beneby has mentioned his desire to build a new headquarters.

He told Express-News in May that he was interested in building a tower to establish a presence for CPS on the city's skyline. However, he added: “It doesn't have to be something grand... like the Sears Tower in Chicago.”

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 12:18 AM
James

Oh gosh, the gears are turning.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 12:23 AM
Paradise

Can't wait to hear more. Hopefully it's a good design.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 3:49 AM

I cant wait to see this!
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 4:57 AM

Excited!!! Go San Antonio!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 7:22 AM

Here's to hoping for something decent. That being said this is San Antonio, so I'm prepared to be let down yet again.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 11:16 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
Why don't builders try to build up northwest of downtown instead of the convention center/Hemisphere area.
Because developers find the largest margins near the river and hotels! The achilles heal to downtown SA is the river. Nobody wants tone too far from it. The city of San Antonio will have to be creative in finding ways to coax developers away from the river/tourist areas to other parts of downtown in an attempt to spur new, large-scale development.

BTW, I guess there is no new news on this particular project since last May, huh? Mothballed? Dead? If it were in development, we would have heard something by now...it's been, what, nine months?!?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Because developers find the largest margins near the river and hotels! The achilles heal to downtown SA is the river. Nobody wants tone too far from it. The city of San Antonio will have to be creative in finding ways to coax developers away from the river/tourist areas to other parts of downtown in an attempt to spur new, large-scale development.

BTW, I guess there is no new news on this particular project since last May, huh? Mothballed? Dead? If it were in development, we would have heard something by now...it's been, what, nine months?!?
There's a dedicated thread for this development. I should have merged the two threads. I will be doing that now.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 3:36 PM
Paradise

CPS hires national real estate firm to help it with headquarters relocation
Quote:
National real-estate group Cassidy Turley will work with the CPS Energy and a seven-member community advisory group on a potential headquarters relocation for the city-owned utility, officials say.

CPS — headquartered in a pair of buildings at Navarro and Villita streets on the San Antonio River — is considering buying or leasing another downtown space, opening the current property for redevelopment. It told employees in December it was weighing the move.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...o-help-it.html

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 9:32 PM

"considering buying or leasing another downtown space"
It looks like the key words here are: buying, leasing, space.

I'm not saying this would prevent them from building, but it seems like there would be some urgency to get them to vacate if they have prospective buyer. If they don't, then it certainly sounds like relocating to an existing building is not out of the question. The article stated this process would take 12 to 18 months.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 9:52 PM
Paradise

Well in this article, they do express preference for a new building, so hopefully the group will take note.

CPS committed to staying downtown
Quote:
Miller said he's open to letting the process decide, but would prefer to see CPS in a new building.

“That's what I would hope to see come into the skyline,” he said “Whether it's a CPS building or another private corporation moving into San Antonio. We're looking to see downtown as more of a jobs center. We want to see some density of people.”

While the utility hasn't identified a specific location for possible construction, Miller said he would like to see a new building on the eastern side of downtown.

Headquartered in Washington, D.C., Cassidy Turley will act as consultant. The firm will not broker any real estate transaction or develop property associated with the possible relocation, Lewis said. The contract with Cassidy Turley has a cap of $100,000, she added.

Last year, CPS received an unsolicited proposal from local developer Ed Cross. In the proposed deal, CPS would have swapped the utility's downtown properties, which include a parking garage and surface parking lot, and a facility on the Northwest Side for two former AT&T buildings at 500 and 530 McCullough Ave.

Even though that deal came to a halt in May, Beneby said it's still an option if the developer decides to submit a proposal.

The advisory group will vet the proposals, and CPS management will select the finalist. The utility's board of trustees will then vote on the matter.
http://www.expressnews.com/business/...wn-5308657.php

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 10:01 PM

Here are some more quotes from the article Alice posted.

Quote:
CPS Energy has assembled a seven-member advisory group to develop a strategy for the possible relocation of its downtown headquarters. But in its search for a new home, the utility wants to remain in the urban core.

The advisory group will work with CPS management and commercial real-estate consultant Cassidy Turley to craft a request for proposals that the utility is looking to issue in coming months. The team is expected to meet for the first time next week to start drafting a long-term plan for its current facility, utility CEO Doyle Beneby said Tuesday.

While Beneby said he wants to consider all options, he was adamant about keeping the utility's home in the center city.

“Typically in major cities, (utility) headquarters are typically in the urban core,” Beneby said to the San Antonio Express-News Editorial Board. “So, I don't think we should be any different. But that's our preference, obviously. But certainly, I think, suburbia is off the table.

“If we can ultimately make the best economic decision, in terms of our modeling, and at the same time ... help the urban core, I kind of feel we should do that if we can.”

Beneby expects at least four scenarios coming from the advisory group. The utility could stay in its riverfront location at 145 Navarro St.; it could move into an existing building in the downtown area; CPS could build a building; or a development firm could construct a building that the city-owned utility would lease.

“It has to make economic sense,” he said. “But beyond that, I am certainly trying to let the process arrive at the best decision.”

If the utility chooses to move, it would open up a prime space along the River Walk for redevelopment, potentially putting million of dollars of property back on the tax rolls. CPS hasn't revealed how much it believes the property is worth, but two nearby hotels — the Hotel Contessa and the Westin Riverwalk — are assessed at $33 million and $65 million, respectively, according to the Bexar appraisal District.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 6:18 AM

Thanks for posting the other article.

There were some interesting comments made. Why the east side? And the comments about some other company moving to the core; why would you make a generalization like that unless they have some knowledge of that being a possibility?

The other comment was the 4 choices: don't relocate, move into an existing building, build your own, or lease a new building. It feels like they are looking for the last option.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
There were some interesting comments made. Why the east side?
That comment was made by Lou Miller, who is on the advisory committee and who is also a member of the African American Chamber of Commerce of San Antonio. Which would explain his desire for the HQ to be in east downtown.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Mar 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM. Reason: Spelling error correction

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Thanks for posting the other article.

There were some interesting comments made. Why the east side?
Doyle Beneby (CPS president) is black. With what the other poster said, and hell even throw in promise zone incentives it may go on the eastside. Hopefully not deep in but near downtown just around vidorra. There's just too much speculation with stuff like this unless someone here is directly involved with the development

Last edited by 21bl0wed; Mar 13, 2014 at 5:11 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio