HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Any news?
The proposals for the block height and tower cranes were approved, but that’s about it. Still doing foundation work as far as I can tell

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Any news?
A good place to get the latest info is this DetroitYES thread about Hudson Tower:

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...-s-site/page56

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 10:44 PM

I looked back at the original design of the tower portion about 1/3 of the height was designated for hotel space it may be that the potential changes mentioned can be taken at face value ie whether or not the Hudsons site tower will be the tallest building in the city or state. Going by the last specs we got if 1/3 of the potential 900+ feet that was allocated for hotel space was taken out all together then we would still be talking about a ~600 ft tower which is around the height of the Ally Finical Tower the tallest office building in the state. If the design is kept as is and somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 of the original hotel space is part of the final design then we still will be talking about the tallest tower in the city & state. I guess we'll just have to wait and see with the current economic uncertainty it's not all together surprising that changes to the design are being considered. As long as we still get a 600 ft + tower with the same design I won't be too bummed about how things turn out however I'm hoping that we will still end up with a tower that's 800-900 ft although my gut is telling me that it may be more along the lines of 700-800 ft.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:19 AM

Looks like the first pieces of the tower cranes arrived today

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GWiT7S2WnM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Looks like the first pieces of the tower cranes arrived today

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7GWiT7S2WnM
That is nice to see. From what I've read the towers wont reach full height until sometime in December.

Gotta give it to Bedrock for their tight lippedness, we don't even know what percentage of the pilings have been completed.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
That is nice to see. From what I've read the towers wont reach full height until sometime in December.

Gotta give it to Bedrock for their tight lippedness, we don't even know what percentage of the pilings have been completed.
Someone on Skyscraper City reached out to Bedrock recently. Apparently as of October 11 they had 33 of the 150 caissons left to drill.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 1:22 AM

Something exciting happened today: the tower crane base was installed! See the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fkv8hCfKy8

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 6:33 PM

So here's a community benefits update from the beginning of this month.

https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...SONS%20NAC.pdf

There's an updated render when you click the link. Doesn't look like much has changed, a few tweaks here and there.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 6:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ there are some really great construction pics about halfway through that PDF.

thanks for posting!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 3:27 AM
Everywhere all at once

My only concern is that it lost a considerable amount of height. Based on the axonometric drawing shown on pages 51 and 60 of that package show it appearing only about twice as tall as One Campus Martius, which would only make it about 500-600 feet at best. Also it looks as if they dropped the plans for an observation deck.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
My only concern is that it lost a considerable amount of height.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw page 49, which shows that it's roughly the same height as the 619-foot One Detroit Center (the tallest pale blue building in this figure). It needs to be at least 728 ft to become the city's new tallest building!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
I was thinking the same thing when I saw page 49, which shows that it's roughly the same height as the 619-foot One Detroit Center (the tallest pale blue building in this figure). It needs to be at least 728 ft to become the city's new tallest building!
Some rough Photoshop ruler math has that massing image at about 670 feet. I saw 750 feet on a different forum, but I think that was too high.

I think the final height will depend on the size of the hotel they are able to land, and based on the PDF, they haven't figured that out yet.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 9:56 PM

Guys, maybe don't flip out over some wonky diagrammatic renders when there has been no official word on any height decrease.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 11:25 PM

There's literally a brand new render right in front of us...

But lets focus on this buried bird view drawing where literally nothing is in correct proportions and not even the gable roof on One Detroit center is fleshed out.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
My only concern is that it lost a considerable amount of height. Based on the axonometric drawing shown on pages 51 and 60 of that package show it appearing only about twice as tall as One Campus Martius, which would only make it about 500-600 feet at best. Also it looks as if they dropped the plans for an observation deck.
They're marketing that site to hotel operators. I doubt there's a single person at Quicken who has a clue how the tower site will eventually end up, as its based on whether there's hotel demand and the specific design requirements of the hotel.

My guess is that the lowrise office portion will be built, because Quicken is doing very well right now, and nothing will happen to the tower site till the next economic cycle.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
single person at Quicken who has a clue how the tower site will eventually end up, as its based on whether there's hotel demand and the specific design requirements of the hotel.
The irony here is you know absolutely nothing more than the public and just project fantasy you want to be true or outright deny observed reality. Quicken is not building this tower, Bedrock is.

Quote:
They're marketing that site to hotel operators.
This PDF is from a community benefits meeting. Try reading.

Quote:
My guess is that the lowrise office portion will be built, because Quicken is doing very well right now, and nothing will happen to the tower site till the next economic cycle.
You've literally said this same comment every other month for over a year now... lmfao

Last edited by The North One; Dec 22, 2019 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

my best guess is that the caissons that bedrock has put in under the tower portion could potentially accommodate a tower up to perhaps ~1,000' tall.

will it be that tall? probably not, but who really knows at this point.

we're just gonna have to continue waiting until they reveal any kind of official plan for the tower.

from a skyline perspective, my expectation chart goes something like this:

~675' tall - mildly disappointing
~750' tall - good
~825' tall - amazing!
~900' tall - mind-blowingly fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i have to second others who said that trying to extrapolate the height of the proposed tower from some crudely drawn, out of scale axonometric stacking diagrams is a wildly misguided endeavor.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 23, 2019 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 5:28 PM
Registered Ugly

I'm looking at their track record. They've never had any issue filling their spaces. Detroit is going through a hotel boom. Bedrock has unlimited financing. Dan has recently had health issues. This is a legacy project. My feeling is this will be big.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 3:16 AM

That diagram should be reliable because the purpose of the diagram is to evaluate the height of the tower in context of other buildings downtown.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 2:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasoncw View Post
That diagram should be reliable because the purpose of the diagram is to evaluate the height of the tower in context of other buildings downtown.
i have to strongly disagree.

those axonometric massing/stacking diagrams look extremely rough/approximate to my eye.

the development team has even stated that the final height of the tower won't even be determined until they get a hotel operator signed on who will then have input into their space requirements that will ultimately affect the final height of the tower.

everything regarding the tower's height so far seems to be pretty general/loose.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction