HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 10:42 PM

Here's a link to a 217 page pdf of the Midtown Area Regional Center Plan.

https://midtown.sacompplan.com/pdf/M...-2019-12MB.pdf

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5021 View Post
Preliminary HDRC agenda has a 14 story hotel tower at 202 N St. Mary's.
Anyone have anymore info on this project?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Anyone have anymore info on this project?
Wait, a minute. Could this be the Hendricks Building project???

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Wait, a minute. Could this be the Hendricks Building project???
No, this is the parking lot of the St. Mary's church next to the La Mansion

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 11:31 AM
JACKinBeantown

The Riverwalk entrance to the Aztec is awesome.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4251...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5021 View Post
No, this is the parking lot of the St. Mary's church next to the La Mansion
I think I heard they're planning on demolishing their parish hall to make space for this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown
The Riverwalk entrance to the Aztec is awesome.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4251...7i13312!8i6656
That whole side of the building is about to get awesomer.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:30 PM

If you are a SABJ subscriber this is a really good read. The and a local developer are having competing visions for the northern upper Broadway area.

About 20% of the article...

Quote:
Change is coming to the upper portion of Lower Broadway between East Grayson Street and East Hildebrand Avenue. There's far less clarity from commercial real estate owners, industry professionals and city planners about what that will look like as numerous properties await plans for reuse or redevelopment.

Perhaps the stretch's most iconic commercial property, the 347,426-square-foot AT&T Building at 4119 Broadway St., has been agreed to be bought by the neighboring University of the Incarnate Word. While UIW has expressed interest in turning the building into classrooms, student housing or office space, no plans have been set.

Next door to the AT&T Building is the office of Harper/Huddleston Inc., a local real estate investment company run by father-and-son duo Glenn and Harper Huddleston. The elder Huddleston has owned property along this stretch of Broadway since 1976, with a 32-property portfolio that includes 16 on Broadway, according to Reonomy, including the Boardwalk Mall, a 16-unit apartment complex and the property that Shake Shack now calls home. Most recently, the Huddleston's bought the site of the shuttered Sonic Drive-In at 3521 Broadway, for which they have not made redevelopment plans.

Further down the road, the beloved Kiddie Park — at 3015 Broadway next to the new Shake Shack — will close after July 4 and move off Broadway to the San Antonio Zoo. Like others, it's not clear what will become of that real estate after it's vacated.

This upper half of Lower Broadway is set for change, perhaps equal to or greater in magnitude than what's occurred along the connecting 1.4-mile stretch between East Houston to East Grayson streets. The city, its planners and other stakeholders talk about a vision for the upper stretch as a thriving mixed-use corridor with high-density housing. However, besides two proposed mixed-use projects south of East Mulberry Avenue, no other such projects along this stretch have been announced. And to what extent this upper stretch will mirror its lower counterpart is a story yet to be written.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 11:58 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Really cool video of Patty Mills and his fiancé discussing their living in the urban core. Patty moved from the outside 1604 suburbs to the urban core last season.

https://streamable.com/qls7m

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Really cool video of Patty Mills and his fiancé discussing their living in the urban core. Patty moved from the outside 1604 suburbs to the urban core last season.

https://streamable.com/qls7m
Love it!!!

Living in the urban core myself, I have always felt when living in the suburbs of 1604 and 410, you miss the "feel" of the uniqueness that our beautiful city has to offer!!!

Go Patty Go!!!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Love it!!!

Living in the urban core myself, I have always felt when living in the suburbs of 1604 and 410, you miss the "feel" of the uniqueness that our beautiful city has to offer!!!

Go Patty Go!!!
As someone who lives between the loops I cannot agree. We go into the urban core all the time, but we also enjoy the conveniences of being near the amenities of Stone Oak without dealing with the traffic.

We enjoy many festivals throughout the year, but we can retreat to our very quite side of town to enjoy our back yard oasis from the pool.

In theory if we could afford a new house, pool, on a quarter acre in Lavaca we might be tempted to move, but that would cost way more than are willing to spend.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
As someone who lives between the loops I cannot agree. We go into the urban core all the time, but we also enjoy the conveniences of being near the amenities of Stone Oak without dealing with the traffic.

We enjoy many festivals throughout the year, but we can retreat to our very quite side of town to enjoy our back yard oasis from the pool.

In theory if we could afford a new house, pool, on a quarter acre in Lavaca we might be tempted to move, but that would cost way more than are willing to spend.
To be fair to both, different strokes for different folks. The urban sprawl panned about on this site as well as others, stemmed as much from personal and familial prosperity as from bad city management. And I don't mean San Antonio only, but every major Western city. Rising personal wealth, and the rise of the automobile allowed people to leave the urban cores of our cities, which were dirty, marred with crime, and seen as undesirable.

Now, we are pretty much stuck with this battle of the urbanites/suburbanites.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
To be fair to both, different strokes for different folks. The urban sprawl panned about on this site as well as others, stemmed as much from personal and familial prosperity as from bad city management. And I don't mean San Antonio only, but every major Western city. Rising personal wealth, and the rise of the automobile allowed people to leave the urban cores of our cities, which were dirty, marred with crime, and seen as undesirable.

Now, we are pretty much stuck with this battle of the urbanites/suburbanites.
I have never heard a single suburbanite disparaging someone living in the urban core. I often hear it the other way around.

That said, my house was infill in an area with houses built before I was born so I didn’t add to any sprawl lol.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I have never heard a single suburbanite disparaging someone living in the urban core. I often hear it the other way around.

That said, my house was infill in an area with houses built before I was born so I didn’t add to any sprawl lol.
I don't have a problem with suburbs. I'm all for making DT as livable and walkable as possible.

The problem is, what is sprawl here? Outside of the DT core, outside Loop 410, or outside out 1604?

I could throw a rock and hit 410 from my house, but I'm outside the Loop. Is that contributing to sprawl?

Some like the community that comes with urban living, and some like a nice parcel with a private backyard. Who am I to tell either they are wrong?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:13 AM

Quote:
It's not a battle of words, it's a batle of paradigms. Which development type is favored? Which type should be favored?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
It's not a battle of words, it's a batle of paradigms. Which development type is favored? Which type should be favored?
It's also a battle of opinions. What factors do you give more priority? Opinions will differ, statistics will lie, and we the people are caught in the middle, with our own opinions that are meaningless to all but ourselves.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 5:16 AM

Quote:
I often hear comments from friend's of friend's about why we chose to buy in Southtown, when our money could have bought us a 3k sqft home with a pool on the northside in a quiet neighborhood with great feeder public schools. These people rarely go downtown and spend their entire weekends at their house. I've become addicted to walking/biking/jogging to everywhere I need to go on the weekend or in the evening. And I tell them our children go to private school, so that doesn't matter. Different strokes. I jogged 5 miles on the Mission Reach Tuesday night and than met up with a neighbor at Blue Star and Beethoven's for a beer all sweaty. A quick walk back home after some beers finished the evening. It was wonderful!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txex06 View Post
I often hear comments from friend's of friend's about why we chose to buy in Southtown, when our money could have bought us a 3k sqft home with a pool on the northside in a quiet neighborhood with great feeder public schools. These people rarely go downtown and spend their entire weekends at their house. I've become addicted to walking/biking/jogging to everywhere I need to go on the weekend or in the evening. And I tell them our children go to private school, so that doesn't matter. Different strokes. I jogged 5 miles on the Mission Reach Tuesday night and than met up with a neighbor at Blue Star and Beethoven's for a beer all sweaty. A quick walk back home after some beers finished the evening. It was wonderful!

Very well put!!
And this why you move to the urban core, always something to do....
Whether it be moving your body around, or socializing with friends....
Better than being "locked" up and isolated in your home every weekend,,,,

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Very well put!!
And this why you move to the urban core, always something to do....
Whether it be moving your body around, or socializing with friends....
Better than being "locked" up and isolated in your home every weekend,,,,
Yeah because once you move out to the burbs there is a rule that you can't leave your house on the weekends and you are not allowed to do anything.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 7:08 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Ok, get back to discussing the urban core. The back and forth about urban and suburban has run its course.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Ok, get back to discussing the urban core. The back and forth about urban and suburban has run its course.
Anyone else notice the new BBVA lights and sign atop the Weston?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio