HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 4:00 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SAN ANTONIO │ CPS Headquarters Redevelopment Thread | U/C

The story is behind a paywall, but here's the quote pertaining to the skyline.

Quote:
In a more formal RFP, Beneby said CPS would likely accept proposals from developers to build a new CPS headquarters downtown and maybe lease it to the utility — in addition to potential property swaps.

As always, the hurdles for a new building would be the high cost of downtown construction and lining up adequate parking.

Nevertheless, Beneby said he wants to consider “the best opportunity for the skyline of San Antonio.”
http://www.expressnews.com/business/...le-4528587.php

Old Posted May 20, 2013, 11:55 PM
James

*dead*

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 12:22 AM
Paradise

This needs to happen.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 12:51 AM

I can see this happening.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 2:51 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

I'm hearing the city, including CPS, want it to be in the 600-700 ft range. There are whispers this could go near the Weston with Graham building residential next to or very near it.

Exciting times ahead my friends.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 2:57 AM
James

600-700ft?! That'd be amazing! I hope it's closer to 700. I hope the design is bad.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
600-700ft?! That'd be amazing! I hope it's closer to 700. I hope the design is bad.
Care to elaborate on that?

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 4:43 PM

As much as I'd love to see this actually get built, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not getting my hopes up too high

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 6:46 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formus View Post
Care to elaborate on that?

Oh gosh. Got too excited, I meant ISN'T*

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Haha, I knew I was missing something.

I see the location is rumored to be near the Weston Center; does anyone have any guesses as to where, specifically, this building will end up? I know it's too early to know anything, but it's fun to speculate.

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 3:33 AM
Meh

Quote:
I thought that was meant as a jab at the HDRC. Honest.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 7:17 PM

Quote:
600-700ft?! That'd be amazing! I hope it's closer to 700.
Is the idea for a mixed-use building with residential or hotel space in it? A 600 foot tower is a lot of space to dump in a downtown office market with a 30% vacancy rate.

I'd love to see it happen, but we have a lot of work to do to on those Geekdom startups to fill that much space.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 7:47 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
Is the idea for a mixed-use building with residential or hotel space in it? A 600 foot tower is a lot of space to dump in a downtown office market with a 30% vacancy rate.

I'd love to see it happen, but we have a lot of work to do to on those Geekdom startups to fill that much space.
That's true. I forgot about the vacancy rate. I think your idea of a hotel on the first few floors might work. Especially for the businesses that might operate on the higher floors, or vice versa.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 8:45 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

I think part of the problem with the vacancy rate, is just the sheer age of some of the existing space in downtown. I believe Weston is one of/if not the newest office tower in downtown and that was in 88 or 89? You have to wonder just how out of date some of the infrastructure in terms of data, electrical, water, sewer, conveying equipment etc. is in these buildings. When companies move into a space, they don't want to be dealing with outdated real estate that could hinder their ability to grow.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
When companies move into a space, they don't want to be dealing with outdated real estate that could hinder their ability to grow.
True enough, but if the demand were there, wouldn't the property owners pay to update the infrastructure? Or once a B always a B?

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 6:35 AM

Any idea of what this building will look like?

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 3:45 PM

just to throw this out there....

Submitted for conversation...Wouldn't it be better to have two 400'ers than one 800'? Please don't get me wrong, things are finally starting to happen here and I don't want our downtown to look like OKC with a couple kinda tall buildings and one really tall. A more extreme example would be if that 800'er gets built in Midland. Just sticking my neck out there....

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
Submitted for conversation...Wouldn't it be better to have two 400'ers than one 800'? Please don't get me wrong, things are finally starting to happen here and I don't want our downtown to look like OKC with a couple kinda tall buildings and one really tall. A more extreme example would be if that 800'er gets built in Midland. Just sticking my neck out there....
Hey texastarkus, that's a great thought. I can see where you're coming from. Another example might be Dubai, where the Burj is massively taller than anything else around it.

However, I don't think that's what we'd be looking at here. According to Emporis, the Weston Centre is 557' at the top and the Tower is 622' at the architectural height or 730' at the tip of the antenna.

The CPS Energy building would fall somewhere in that 557'-730' range so it wouldn't be alone in that height range. It could look more like the Comcast Center in Philly, which looks like a natural growth in the skyline.

I think more important than height is the fact that there would just be a lot of empty space around it on the northwest end of downtown. Hopefully Weston Urban plans some taller apartments to go with the office building.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 2:19 AM

Quote:
At this point, a 600'er would make an impact on the skyline and I would prefer (just a personal preference) to keep the Tower the tallest or at least not too much shorter than our (future) tallest. Would I prefer a 600'er or 2 300'ers? Well, it would depend on the design of the building. If it ended up "office park-like" then I would hate either one. Mixed-use maximizing the street would be the best with any height. I think I might squeak out the preference for a single tall only to take up less real estate and leave room for more residential.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 2:39 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
I say go for the tall one.

http://en.wikiarquitectura.com/image...tate_Nuves.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio