HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
That is awesome! Thanks! Kind of like seeing Big Foot.
Wonder if it’s worth putting in its own thread. It’s mentioned from time to time and someone has to dig up the old news articles...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Here's what 20 stories would have looked like in the Esplanade

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/75552763/

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/75552885/
One more thing on this.

The small brown building on the corner of Highland and 24th St was originally intended to be up to 16 stories. It too would have had a second tower as equally tall on the lot were the boring beige 8 story ultimately went up.

There used to be - and may still be - a model of all of this in the lobby of the main building. I don’t know if this would be accessible anymore.

Keep in mind this building appears to be three to four floors but actually has a few floors built underground on top of the parking garage.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 9:35 PM

What Phoenix and 2 other contenders for Samsung’s $17B chip plant offer

Found this tidbit interesting that may help our chances.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-analysis.html
Quote:
Manufacturing experts have speculated that the February winter storm that shut down operations at the Samsung Austin Semiconductor LLC factory for more than a month could weigh heavily on executives. The decision by Austin Energy to cut Samsung’s power during the storm could result in hundreds of millions of dollars in losses for the company, experts have said.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Found this tidbit interesting that may help our chances.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-analysis.html
That article mentioned how there's been "radio silence" in Austin regarding city planning and the project as of late. They said that, comparatively, Phoenix is positioned well and with a strong bid.

It does, however, mention that New York is working on a ton of financial incentives to bring Samsung, and that Senator Schumer is lobbying executives pretty much constantly to win the bid, which neither Phoenix nor Austin have in their corners.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 5:21 AM
Skyriser

Researching the Western Savings Financial Plaza, the "Corporate Lakes" development was proposed by the same developer where Arizona Mills mall is today.

- 20 acre lake
- 2 acre sports complex
- 500,000 square feet retail and entertainment
- 1,000,000 square feet housing
- 450 or 800 room hotel
- 1 20 story office tower for Western Savings headquarters
- 8 buildings of 10 - 15 stories.
- "dozens" of smaller buildings at one point
- total development about 5.6 million square feet, probably 4,000,000 of that office

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/75721808/
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/75721905/

The building where Joe's Crab Shack is today is the only thing that actually came out of it. The absolute glut of office space in the mid 1980s likely killed any chance of the project becoming reality, despite being upsized while in development.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 4:23 PM
them bones

When I lived in Phoenix, I long wanted to mine the Republic's archives to get this sort of information. I managed to acquire much from the Arizona Room at Burton Barr and from the ASU Architecture Library, but these articles are wonderful.

I used to have some articles that my dad clipped for me about Renaissance Square and some of the other surrounding developments in the late 80s, but I don't think I still have all that stuff. Possibly...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:41 PM

AZ's semiconductor industry more in focus amid national security and economic concern

Quote:
Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., one of the largest chip producers in the world, will start construction of its $12 billion factory in North Phoenix in the coming months and the Business Journal has also reported that Arizona is one of the potential landing spots for a new Samsung chip-producing fab.

Arizona Sen. Mark Kelly told the Business Journal that the state can play a key part in bringing these chipmaking jobs back to America.

“We've got an opportunity to grow the semiconductor sector in the state of Arizona,” Kelly said in a Tuesday interview. “This is critical for our national security. But it's also a great opportunity for our state as a leader in this industry already, to just double down on Arizona being a real hub for manufacturing of these critical components that go into so many things that we rely on every single day.”

Kelly said that he has talked with Gov. Doug Ducey about the industry's growth potential and Kelly said both of them are working to convince Samsung to build in Arizona.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-capacity.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 6:45 PM

Would be great if AZ could get in on battery manufacturing like they are on chip fabs. Maybe I’m just being greedy now.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:09 PM

Nice aerial views of downtown:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 7:10 PM
Skyriser

Yeah, sorry to derail the chips conversation with the history--on that final note I'm probably going to start some sort of personal website/blog about history that's somewhere in between this forum and Wikipedia. If anyone is curious I'm happy to do some brief research and get more into detail later.

That being said, that was a great article about the Samsung situation. The fragility of Texas's infrastructure has never once come to mind for anyone I'm sure and I'm glad it gives Arizona a second look.

I think the article got something wrong about property taxes--it says Arizona has 5% opportunity zone property taxes and Texas has like 4.7%, although I think they missed state property taxes in both.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Would be great if AZ could get in on battery manufacturing like they are on chip fabs. Maybe I’m just being greedy now.
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-facility.html

Ontario, Canada-based Li-Cycle Corp., a lithium-ion electric vehicle battery recycler, is building a facility in Gilbert which will effectively double the company’s recycling capacity.

Once completed, the facility will be able to process 10,000 metric tons (22.04 million pounds) of batteries and battery manufacturing scrap per year. The facility will be able to process full electric vehicle battery packs without dismantling. The new plant is expected to create between 40 and 50 new jobs.

The facility, called Spoke 3, will be the company’s third, adding to locations in Rochester, New York and Kingston, Ontario, Canada. The company has plans to create 20 “spoke” facilities globally in the next five years.

“Once completed, our newest Spoke facility will add significant recycling capacity to Li-Cycle, strategically expanding the geographic footprint of our closed-loop solution for recycling lithium-ion battery materials,” Tim Johnston, co-founder and executive chairman of Li-Cycle, said in a statement. “Our Arizona Spoke will have two 5,000 tonne processing lines, effectively doubling our total recycling capacity in North America. It will also be engineered to directly process full electric vehicle packs without any dismantling.”

A spokesman for the Arizona Commerce Authority said Li-Cycle has not submitted any applications for state incentives, but the company could be eligible for up to $387,000 from the quality jobs tax credit, which offers $9,000 of Arizona income or premium tax credits over a three-year period for each new, quality job created.

“With our rapidly expanding electric vehicle sector and focus on sustainability, Arizona is the perfect destination for Li-Cycle’s western-U.S. battery recycling hub,” Sandra Watson, president and CEO of the Arizona Commerce Authority said in a statement. “The company’s cutting-edge technology fills a growing supply chain need while providing an eco-friendly solution for battery recycling. Arizona is proud to be a partner in Li-Cycle’s success and contribute to the positive impact they will continue to have.”

Engineering and design of the facility is expected to begin this quarter, and the facility is planned to be operational in the first quarter of 2022. Hiring for the plant will begin in the fourth quarter of 2021.

Li-Cycle’s facilities convert batteries and battery manufacturing scrap into a product called “black mass” which is a powder containing metals like lithium, cobalt and nickel. The black mass is processed to create battery grade materials, like lithium carbonate, cobalt sulphate and nickel sulphate, according to the company. Li-Cycle’s battery supply customers include some of the largest automakers, including Audi, Volkswagen, Honda, General Motors and Kia.

The Valley has become a popular location for electric vehicle manufacturing. Recently, ElectraMeccanica Vehicles Corp. announced it was establishing its assembly plant in Mesa, and both Nikola Corp. and Lucid Motors are creating large-scale manufacturing operations in Pinal County.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 2:24 AM
Modulator

The homeless encampment on Madison/9th Ave is going away:

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...-lots-11546045

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 1:42 PM

Thought this Phoenix gentrification video game was funny.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...umble-11546702

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 3:10 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
Thought this Phoenix gentrification video game was funny.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...umble-11546702
It's ironic that this game pairs an anti-gentrification message with love for the Japanese Friendship Garden. A lot of the "skyrises" going up in the area are drawn by amenities like that garden, which is itself a form of gentrification (in the best possible way). You can't have nice urban amenities without people wanting to live in nice housing near those amenities.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 9:41 PM

Valley auctions for potential Samsung sites postponed

By Corina Vanek – Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Apr 21, 2021

Quote:
The Arizona State Land Department auctions that were to be held Wednesday for two sites that had been identified as potential landing spots for Samsung's $17 billion plant were postponed to May 19 after no bidders bid on the land at either auction...
The auction for the Goodyear site was rescheduled and will be held at the Arizona State Land Department office at 9 a.m. on May 19, and the auction for the Queen Creek site will be held at the 1891 Historic Courthouse in Florence that day at 2 p.m.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Valley auctions for potential Samsung sites postponed

By Corina Vanek – Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Apr 21, 2021

Soooo... that begs the next question.... Was anyone ever interested in those lots to begin with or was it only speculation about the size of the land that someone like Samsung would be interested?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
Soooo... that begs the next question.... Was anyone ever interested in those lots to begin with or was it only speculation about the size of the land that someone like Samsung would be interested?
I do not doubt that Samsung expressed an interest. However, I more likely believe they are still pitting cities against each other. I could be wrong, but I also do not believe that they've already chosen Austin despite what a poster in the Austin threads stated from his 'source' who he states confirmed it very recently. Said poster was saying the very same thing and that it was a done deal going back to January and we are now winding down April.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:01 PM

Arrive hotel is no longer an arrive. It's now called Rise.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:09 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Arrive hotel is no longer an arrive. It's now called Rise.
I noticed that. The Arrive brand is alive in other cities, but for some reason the Uptown Phoenix property has gone in its own direction less than a year after opening. I wonder what the reason is.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:45 PM

The Arrive brand was sold a couple of months ago.

https://www.costar.com/article/12936...ve-acquisition

only speculation at this point. I'm curious what happened. We've stayed at three Arrive properties and enjoy them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest