HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:12 PM
video et taceo

So you want more Africans and fewer Indians? Is this what we are talking about?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:19 PM

Well, for one that 67% number you posted is 20 years old. It stands to reason a much higher proportion are Canadian born now.

Second, we're getting into a bottom of the barrel semantics argument here, but many would agree that someone who has been here 20 years is not a recent arrival.

Regardless of whether you agree or not, the 1.37 million Indians who are currently in Canada don't reflect current immigration policy since the vast majority have been here for decades. I don't know what else I can say to convince you. Current immigration rates reflect current immigration policy, not overall numbers which are more reflective of past policy and birth rates. This is basic demographics, so I suspect you're just illiterate on the topic.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I don't care either way. I just think the poster is an idiot.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Furthermore, Canada's immigration policies are based on transparent criteria and do not favour or exclude people from specific countries based on nationality.

You either meet the criteria or you don't. And the people who apply are the people who apply.

They come from... wherever.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:23 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Yeah I was asking him, should have quoted.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
And you keep answering so what does that make you? When you resort to insults it says a lot about you.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:29 PM

Quote:
No. I am saying the system should be fair. Thats all.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Furthermore, Canada's immigration policies are based on transparent criteria and do not favour or exclude people from specific countries based on nationality.

You either meet the criteria or you don't. And the people who apply are the people who apply.

They come from... wherever.
I know plenty of people denied that met the criteria.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I know plenty of people denied that met the criteria.
Way more people apply (and even meet the criteria) than there are available spots to immigrate to Canada in a given year.

So you may meet the basic criteria but if there are too many people who have higher scores than you you may not get in.

Again, this is not difficult to understand.

I am not one of those people who thinks Canada is perfect, but seriously, we're not letting in people from India or China into Canada with scores of, say, 88 (I have no idea what the rating scale is) but refusing people from Nigeria and Brazil with scores of 95, simply based on nationality. ,

That's just a bogus notion.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Glad it’s not just me - I’ve been wondering all day what we’re talking about.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Way more people apply (and even meet the criteria) than there are available spots to immigrate to Canada in a given year.

So you may meet the basic criteria but if there are too many people who have higher scores than you you may not get in.

Again, this is not difficult to understand.

I am not one of those people who thinks Canada is perfect, but seriously, we're not letting in people from India or China into Canada with scores of, say, 88 (I have no idea what the rating scale is) but refusing people from Nigeria and Brazil with scores of 95, simply based on nationality. ,

That's just a bogus notion.
Bogus to you because you probably haven't gone through the immigration system and you are part of the majority.

People just as equally qualified as anyone else are getting denied. There is clear bias going on here. You clearly think the immigration system is fair and perfect.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 10:38 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

This thread is completely moronic as are most of the posts. Justify your "discussion" all you want, it's straight up racist...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
This thread is completely moronic as are most of the posts. Justify your "discussion" all you want, it's straight up racist...
Saying our immigration should stop favoring certain groups and be more equal is racist? Ok

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:06 PM

It’s been posted numerous times that the groups you think are unfairly discriminated against are immigrating to this country in greater numbers and at disproportinately greater rates than the ones you think are getting unfair preference.

I know it’s hard to to accept reality when it goes against your own anecdotal experience, but those are the facts.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
It’s been posted numerous times that the groups you think are unfairly discriminated against are immigrating to this country in greater numbers and at disproportinately greater rates than the ones you think are getting unfair preference.
There is no rule saying "ooh these countries have more people therefore we must let more of them in". Everyone else is at an automatic disadvantage. Immigration never worked like that in Canadian history It doesnt work like that in other countries either. It only works to fit your narrative. To suggest other minorities are here disproprotionately is quite racist. Along with the stereotype they do no value education and thats why we dont let more in as some one implied earlier.

if we were letting so many in where are they? The biggest visible minority groups are not from Africa or Latin America or the middle east. That is simply false. South Asiansare the biggest minority followed by Chinese all others dont even come close.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 12:49 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:

For Express Entry they pick a certain number of people and they go down the list starting from the person who scored the highest. They publish the lowest score of the person admitted at each draw.

You don't get points for your country of origin or ethnicity.

It's about as meritocratic as it gets for immigration, although it does discriminate by age (one good reason for this being that people tend to incur a lot of their health care expenses during the end of their life).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
For Express Entry they pick a certain number of people and they go down the list starting from the person who scored the highest. They publish the lowest score of the person admitted at each draw.

You don't get points for your country of origin or ethnicity.
And you know this how?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 1:19 AM

Quote:
There is no rule saying "ooh these countries have more people therefore we must let more of them in". Everyone else is at an automatic disadvantage. Immigration never worked like that in Canadian history It doesnt work like that in other countries either. It only works to fit your narrative. To suggest other minorities are here disproprotionately is quite racist. Along with the stereotype they do no value education and thats why we dont let more in as some one implied earlier.

if we were letting so many in where are they? The biggest visible minority groups are not from Africa or Latin America or the middle east. That is simply false. South Asiansare the biggest minority followed by Chinese all others dont even come close.
Do you know the difference between the incidence and prevalence?

I’m going to try and explain this one last time, assuming you’re just poorly read and actually honestly engaging. You seem to feel quite strongly about this topic, and there’s nothing worse than someone who feels strongly about something that they’re clueless about. Lord help us if you ever get a chance to vote without being set straight.

The incidence of something reflects the amount of new occurrences. In epidemiology, it would refer to the number of new cases of an illness. In our example, it refers to the amount of new immigrants in a year. For a child it might refer to how much allowance his parents give him monthly.
The incidence of something reflects the current pattern of behaviour for whatever we’re looking at: whether that be the virulence of a disease, our immigration policies, or your parents generosity.

The prevalence of something refers to how widespread something is. This is the number of people with an illness at any given time, the number of people from a certain background, or how much money you saved up in your piggy bank. This is not necessarily dependant on the incidence of the state were looking at. For example, when we eradicated polio in North America there were still a fair amount of people living with the disease despite no new illnesses. In our example, this refers to the number of Indian people you keep referring to as proof that our immigration system favours them. The prevalence of Indian and Chinese people is quite high but that isn’t because of our current immigration policies. Many Indians and Chinese have been here for decades, many have had children here, and many even grandchildren. These things are independent of our current immigration policy.

The reason we have more people from these countries is simply because they are larger countries, they have been immigrating for longer, and they have had the opportunity to reproduce. In contrast, African and Latin American immigration is much more recent. Latin America is a political and economic basket case right now, so it’s not surprising that we’re getting twice as many immigrants from this part of the world than either India or China.

As has been previously explained to you, the Canadian immigration system is based on merit and demand. While some countries may be over represented due to historical links driving greater interest or language advantages, no one is discriminated based on their nationality. Your friends just didn’t cut it.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 1:28 AM

Enough with the condescending and rude tone.

You can tell yourself there is no discrimination but there is. Just like everything else. i suggest you take a look at Canadian immigration history before you try to lecture some one.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 1:31 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
And you know this how?
If you type "express entry" into your favourite search engine thee will be lots of information about it. There are details on the government of Canada website (canada.ca).

The point system implies that if we tweaked the results to accept more people from certain source countries we would definitely be discriminating, because we'd necessarily be selecting lower-scored people according to metrics we already decided were important. For example, picking a person with only a bachelor's degree from Africa instead of a person from China with a graduate degree.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada