HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1 Journal Squared in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jersey City (New York City) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:43 AM

I found an old rendering of Journal Squared!

http://www.thekregroup.com/brochure/kreBrochure.pdf

Look on page 14

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 11:46 PM

J city needs this!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 2:43 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

It does.

Expect more of this too. The NYC boom is strong in the City's unofficial 6th borough.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Groundbreaking: Journal Squared

First Phase:

Full Project:

Quote:
While the development industry’s attention has been chiefly focused on Manhattan and Brooklyn, the real estate boom in Jersey City is just getting started. And now, it is finally extending to Journal Square; this morning, ground will be broken on Journal Squared, which will become the neighborhood’s first project to make a mark on the regional skyline.

A fresh set of renderings came attached to the news, illustrating the phasing of the project, and the eventual impact of the three-towered plan. The first building to rise will stand 53 stories tall, and contain 538 units; subsequent towers will be even larger and taller, standing up to 70 stories tall. At the street level, the skyscrapers will be rounded out by a retail base that promises to further jump-start Journal Square’s revitalization.

Integrating attractive and pedestrian-friendly retail will be crucial to Journal Square’s evolution and success, and with the number of projects in the pipeline, critical mass for sustained momentum should not be difficult to achieve. Besides the first Journal Squared tower, progress is also imminent at 30 Journal Square, City Center Towers, and HAP’s 500 Summit Avenue – in addition to a host of smaller mid-rise buildings.

Given the density of expected new development — with all major sites within a short walk of the PATH station — the neighborhood will likely see the most dramatic transformation of any in the New York region over the course of the next decade. By 2025, there could be five 50+ story buildings, a statistic that surpasses the current skylines of both Brooklyn and Queens.

Quote:
Kushner Real Estate Group is developing Journal Squared, and HWKN and Handel are the project’s architects. Completion of the first phase is expected in early 2016, and the eventual build-out will total 2.3 million square feet.

===================================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2014/10/gro...l-squared.html

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 5:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...velopment.html

Developer breaks ground on 'Journal Squared,' tallest residential building in state

By Jonathan Lin
October 21, 2014

Quote:
Game changer. Transformative. Incredible.

These were just some of the words used by Jersey City officials and developer KRE Group at the groundbreaking ceremony this morning for "Journal Squared," a massive, three-tower project at the heart of the city which, upon completion, will boast the tallest residential building in New Jersey.

"This project which we're undertaking today is truly a transformative project -- transformative for this wonderful city of Jersey City, and for the state of New Jersey," said Murray Kushner, KRE Group chairman, before a gathering of about 100 people. "The design, the scale, the scope of this project, and the importance of this project to restoring the historical significance of Journal Square are self-evident."

The project, which is located between Magnolia, Pavonia, and Summit Avenues, just east of the Port Authority transportation hub, will include a 54-story tower with 538 units; a 70-story tower with 700 units; and a 60-story tower with 600 units. The project received a 30-year tax abatement from the city last November.

Once completed, the 70-story tower is expected to be the tallest residential building in New Jersey, according to Hollwich Kushner's website, surpassing the 55-story Trump Tower Residences in Downtown Jersey City, which opened in 2008.

"We have made it a priority to get actual buildings going up in Journal Square," Fulop told The Jersey Journal shortly afterward. "This is the first one coming out in decades. It's a big day for Journal Square. It's a game changer, and I couldn't be more excited about it."

When he spoke, Kanne talked about the jobs that the massive project will generate.

"We're also proud that this new development will generate much-needed jobs for the people of New Jersey," he said. "We believe this project will spark a renaissance in the Journal Square neighborhood similar to what downtown Jersey City has already experienced, with increased economic activity and numerous new employment opportunities benefiting not only new residents, but the community as a whole."

The development's phase I tower, the 53-story tower, is expected to be complete by 2016, while the second phase, the 70-story tower, will be finished five years after the first tower is built, Jonathan Kushner previously told The Jersey Journal.

Journal Squared will comprise a total of 1,838 rental residences and 36,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, according to a press release.

The project will also bring in a new pedestrian-friendly public plaza, at the heart of which will be an open space courtyard lined with trees, greenery and seating to encourage social interaction, the release stated.

The 53-story tower currently under construction will offer 538 studios as well as one-, two-, and three-bedroom rentals with upscale finishes and appointments, plus "stunning views" of the Hudson River, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and downtown Manhattan, according to the release.

Residents of the tower will have access to over 10,000 square feet of amenities in the building, including the entire eighth floor, the release stated. Those amenities will include an outdoor swimming pool, full-service fitness center, golf simulator and a children's playroom. A 2,000 square-foot space on the 53rd floor will also serve as an entertainment space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 10:30 PM

Bravo.

The tallest was originally planned for 80 floors. I hope the developers lease out the upper floors first to show the development world that there is great demand for highrise living in Jersey City.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 4:50 PM

Any ideas when we might see a crane?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Looks Bauhaus in style. I think this would fit in in Berlin or somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 11:29 PM
Show me the blueprints

I think this will fit in just fine in Jersey City thank you very much.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 9:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 3:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I think this will fit in just fine in Jersey City thank you very much.
LOL. Way to get all testy. I was mentioning that the tower reminds me of various styles you see in Berlin, with those white columns and a modern take on bauhaus styles that originated in Germany. Sure, it will look good in Jersey, but it will be a new style for the most part. Nothing else looks like it right now.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Looks Bauhaus in style. I think this would fit in in Berlin or somewhere.
Or Houston - Downtown or Uptown.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 6:47 AM

When to move this one to under construction?

Foundation is being laid.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:01 PM

I'll move to Under Construction.

I am going to make this thread just for Phase 1. It will be 53 floors correct? What is the height?

Since Phase 2 will not be built for 5 more years, we will create a second thread for that when it happens.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

First tower is 54 floors and 544 feet. The NJ.com article is in error by 1 floor.

Phase 2 and 3 will include the 633 and 728 foot tower.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
First tower is 54 floors and 544 feet. The NJ.com article is in error by 1 floor.

Phase 2 and 3 will include the 633 and 728 foot tower.

Alright thanks! All set!

Created a separate thread for Phase 2 & 3 in the proposals sub-forum.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=214337

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 12:55 AM
Meh

I like the setbacks. They sort of remind me of the Empire State Building.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 7:11 PM

Construction is at ground level and the crane for the first tower is being assembled today. Sorry, no pics. I can't wait to see this one rise in the skyline!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive