HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Chicago Spire in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 6:38 PM

It was quite a trip down. I really hate heights, especially walking over the foot wide gangplank 70 ft. above the ground, but I could not pass it up. The stairwell was swaying back and forth ever so slightly all the way to the bottom, and the mud looked about as thick as wet concrete. Thinking back, it would have ben worth it to get a sense of scale, but what's done is done. I could have stepped out, but would have been up to my ankle in quicksand like mud. The amount of water leaching in from the surrounding soil was not expected, it was as if there were 20 or so waterfalls all around us, and it was surprisingly loud, for what I thought would be a lifeless hole. We were even able to keep our Chicago Spire hard hats. It was a truly special opportunity. We were told that when they were digging out the hole workers could still smell the "fire" from the backfill that was dumped into the area after the Chicago Fire. How true this is I'm not sure, but if it is, thats quite a story.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 6:48 PM
Registered

^ Very interesting.

So, what is the attitude like in the sales center after this "on hold" business? Was that brought up at all during your visit?

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 7:14 PM

He was pretty up front about it. We were also told that there are a few "cushions" built into the project for times like this. Because of the size and scale they had anticipated a few setbacks over the course of the next few years either because of delivery issues, vendor changes, you name it. There were quite a few other groups in the center as well. A few were in private rooms, probably discussing price, unit, etc. so that was promising to see. Im not sure what would constitute busy, but I would say it was moderately busy considering what a special project this is. Although biased, it seems to me like they have all their ducks in a row and know what they are doing. It is not an ideal situation, but one they are well prepared for. And their marketing is unbelievable. We left with sales kits weighing three pounds each, which looked like they cost about $100 just to print. We were also sent a wooden Chicago Spire jump drive with a whole slew of stuff on there as well

Back:

Front:

Last edited by vexxed82; Oct 26, 2008 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 8:21 PM

I have a bad feeling they're going to downsize this a lot to cut the cost, but I guess it would be better than a giant hole.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillbilly View Post
I have a bad feeling they're going to downsize this a lot to cut the cost, but I guess it would be better than a giant hole.
...well in 2099 .........when our great grandchildren are future construction workers ...........and they are digging around the site to build a new skyscraper.......and they bump into the giant buried caissons, and the giant round hole (that had been re-filled sometime in the ancient past).......hopefully, they will realize what a huge undertaking almost got started in Chicago way back in 2007..........

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 3:09 AM

Or they could be talking about how this tower almost got cancelled due to the recession of 2008.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 5:58 AM
Contemplator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillbilly View Post
If it's no longer "The Chicago Spire" (not so much in name but in height and cachet) I'm sure they'd lose at least 90% of their commitments and they'd definitely lose the $40,000,000 penthouse sale.

Presuming he can get a loan sooner or later, Kelleher would absolutely lose money by walking away from the project so I'd imagine he'll be incredibly patient until conditions make it possible to continue & finish.

(Realizing I probably just stated the obvious but oh well...)

I'm mentally prepared for a year of down time. I wouldn't at all doubt the the Olympic bid decision affects a lot of construction decisions in Chicago in the next couple of years.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
It was quite a trip down. I really hate heights, especially walking over the foot wide gangplank 70 ft. above the ground, but I could not pass it up. The stairwell was swaying back and forth ever so slightly all the way to the bottom, and the mud looked about as thick as wet concrete. Thinking back, it would have ben worth it to get a sense of scale, but what's done is done. I could have stepped out, but would have been up to my ankle in quicksand like mud. The amount of water leaching in from the surrounding soil was not expected, it was as if there were 20 or so waterfalls all around us, and it was surprisingly loud, for what I thought would be a lifeless hole. We were even able to keep our Chicago Spire hard hats. It was a truly special opportunity. We were told that when they were digging out the hole workers could still smell the "fire" from the backfill that was dumped into the area after the Chicago Fire. How true this is I'm not sure, but if it is, thats quite a story.

I believe it. There was a pretty nasty fire in my neighborhood about 2-3 months ago, and it still strongly smells like barbecue when I walk past it. Just think how the smoldering debris was just dumped into the lake, and soon more stuff was just dumped on top, slowing down the decay. Bubbley creek still bubbles today from all the filth dumped into it years ago.

Cool story

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 2:54 PM
Registered

Quote:
He was pretty up front about it. We were also told that there are a few "cushions" built into the project for times like this.
Such as... not paying their architect? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Seriously, as a believer in the project, thanks for the update. I think it sounds positive and I am crossing my fingers that the dispute with Calatrava is settled quickly and to their mutual satisfaction.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 2:00 AM

Oct 27 - Lunch

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 3:31 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Hope the financing will come soon to get this project moving again.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 6:00 AM
BANNED

Interesting to see if there is water at the bottom of the hole

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshtern View Post
Interesting to see if there is water at the bottom of the hole
The amount of water pouring in from the surrounding earth was much more then I expected. Right off the bottom of the stairway was some of the thickest, soupiest, clay like mud I had ever seen. It almost looked like wet concrete with a little bit more of an earthy tone. I was tempted to walk out into the middle, but there was just too much mud to deal with. Im guessing because of the slow down, the water pumps they have were not on, or at least at full capacity. It definitely did not sound like there were any pumps on. The only sound I could here was that of water splashing against the whaler rings.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 5:14 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Well Chicago is half swamp - half garbage dump...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2008, 5:31 PM

Quote:
The amount of water pouring in from the surrounding earth was much more then I expected. Right off the bottom of the stairway was some of the thickest, soupiest, clay like mud I had ever seen. It almost looked like wet concrete with a little bit more of an earthy tone. I was tempted to walk out into the middle, but there was just too much mud to deal with. Im guessing because of the slow down, the water pumps they have were not on, or at least at full capacity. It definitely did not sound like there were any pumps on. The only sound I could here was that of water splashing against the whaler rings.
Vexxed your photos, and even more the personal narratives, are a unique contribution. Thank you.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 1:35 AM

Diagrams

I have noticed that the Chicago Spire Diagram (and waterview) has been taken off of the Chicago Diagrams page...which i don't entirely get since the proposed buildings not even close to starting (further from becoming reality) are still shown - makes no sense to me.....hmmm. Perhaps the diagram gods know something we don't.....??

You can't even search for the Chicago Spire diagram any more....

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 2:38 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

It's there. You just have to check the ON HOLD box to show you. And I think those other buildings are there because they haven't been officially put on hold or cancelled. Here's the CS diagram link. And wow, the mighty CS, on hold, it comes to show that just because things are big and nice doesn't mean they'll get completed. Of course this was because of various reasons but still, it hasn't seen the light of day.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 5:55 AM

Sad news about this one, was looking forward to Chicago taking a prominent spot on the worlds tallest diagram again. I hope none of the projects here go the same way, though I am not to confident.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
It's there. You just have to check the ON HOLD box to show you. And I think those other buildings are there because they haven't been officially put on hold or cancelled.
Aleks0o01 - Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I didn't really look very hard.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 3:51 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
It's there. You just have to check the ON HOLD box to show you. And I think those other buildings are there because they haven't been officially put on hold or cancelled.
Still, that doesn't quite make sense to me. I'm glad some of the dead projects got cleaned, but I'd say that CS and Waterview are more realistic than proposed buildings, which are still on the diagram.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects