HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 3:53 PM

This post could be posted here or in the Exchange District thread. I saw this recent article on CTV Winnipeg about the bike lanes in the Exchange.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/concerns...ange-1.4279683

I, like most of the people on this forum support the implementation of protected bike lanes in our city and think there should be a lot more then there currently is. The network needs to be better. In the community I keep hearing about how bike lanes are good for small, local, urban businesses like Lennard Taylor;

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#5470264e641e

https://www.ibigroup.com/ibi-ideas/b...mall-business/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle30365164/

So I was disappointed to see that Lennard Taylor said that the bike lanes have been hurting his bottom line and that apparently a lot of his neighbours have had the same experience. He went on to say that the exchange has gone downhill and even called for the lanes to be removed in the winter time - which I think is a terrible idea. To me the Exchange has continued to improve, not as quickly as I think it could be but I wouldn't say its gone "downhill." I use these bike lanes and support them and the businesses in the area, but its unfortunate that they're hurting right now. I'm having trouble making sense of the situation. Is it just that they haven't been open long enough?

I'm curious to get everyone's take on it, I might have some assumptions that need challenging.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 4:29 PM

^ Osborne Village has been in decline over the past 5 years. I have not seen any similar signs in the Exchange. It continues its somewhat gradual trajectory of constant improvement.

The bike lanes are definitely a disruption and no doubt they will cause problems for some businesses. But I don't think they will harm the area over the long term. Once the dust settles, some other businesses better suited to the environment will move in and prosper.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
This post could be posted here or in the Exchange District thread. I saw this recent article on CTV Winnipeg about the bike lanes in the Exchange.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/concerns...ange-1.4279683

I, like most of the people on this forum support the implementation of protected bike lanes in our city and think there should be a lot more then there currently is. The network needs to be better. In the community I keep hearing about how bike lanes are good for small, local, urban businesses like Lennard Taylor;

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlton.../#5470264e641e

https://www.ibigroup.com/ibi-ideas/b...mall-business/

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle30365164/

So I was disappointed to see that Lennard Taylor said that the bike lanes have been hurting his bottom line and that apparently a lot of his neighbours have had the same experience. He went on to say that the exchange has gone downhill and even called for the lanes to be removed in the winter time - which I think is a terrible idea. To me the Exchange has continued to improve, not as quickly as I think it could be but I wouldn't say its gone "downhill." I use these bike lanes and support them and the businesses in the area, but its unfortunate that they're hurting right now. I'm having trouble making sense of the situation. Is it just that they haven't been open long enough?

I'm curious to get everyone's take on it, I might have some assumptions that need challenging.
This isn't unique to Lennard Taylor. There are others who have spoken about this publicly, and many who won't speak on it publicly because they know speaking out against bike lanes might alienate some of their clientele. I know some personally who say sales have been down as much as 20 to 30 percent, and they attribute much of it to the bike lanes. The issues have to do with less parking and loading, and the drawn out construction period, seemingly the entire season.

There's a difference between theory and reality. It's easy to post an infograph that shows that "bike friendly areas see sales double in the first year", but that's not always what we see in real life. I'm hoping to see those who advocate so passionately for year-round protected lanes step up and support these local businesses fully. Some good friends are literally banking on it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 12:04 AM

I was perusing the city budget and noticed that there is funding for the NW Hydro Greenway project (Phases 2 & 3) with construction slated for this year. However, I haven't been able to find anything on the city's website regarding any design plans or project estimates for completion etc. Anybody have any details? Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 5:30 PM

Of all the projects listed here, that is not one of them.
https://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/pede...ts/default.stm

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 11:10 PM

So what's the deal with Money Mart – why is it still open? Any update on when the cycling connection will be finished?

And continuing with Pembina – will the stretch from Grant to just south of the underpass (where new bike lanes start) be connected soon?

Any word on finishing up the rest of the downtown bike infrastructure planned on Carlton, Hargrave, Garry, Arthur, etc? Is it going to happen?

I hate that most construction never ends up starting til June. Plans should be done and tenders signed by March so if we get an early spring (like now), construction can start already.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
So what's the deal with Money Mart – why is it still open?
Expropriation in play.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 3:18 AM

^But when, they've been talking about this for 2 years? Just get it done already.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
So what's the deal with Money Mart – why is it still open? Any update on when the cycling connection will be finished?

And continuing with Pembina – will the stretch from Grant to just south of the underpass (where new bike lanes start) be connected soon?

Any word on finishing up the rest of the downtown bike infrastructure planned on Carlton, Hargrave, Garry, Arthur, etc? Is it going to happen?

I hate that most construction never ends up starting til June. Plans should be done and tenders signed by March so if we get an early spring (like now), construction can start already.
In order for that to happen the people that work for the city would actually have to be doing their jobs. We all know that ain’t happening.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
^But when, they've been talking about this for 2 years? Just get it done already.
I am fairly sure that I saw the public expropriation notice for the lands in that area in the Free Press a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 8:45 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Now this would be nice here, instead of having to mount the bike on the outside of the bus.

Could not do it on a crowded bus though.

Skip to 1:48 ...

Video Link

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 3:52 PM

City just posted the Garry Street reconstruction is starting right away, the entire project was actually tendered last year so they could start ASAP in spring. Expected to take 17 weeks. Will also include some things in the Exchange not finished last year. Says they will be maintaining bike lanes through the project.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 5:06 PM

More proof that if you build it, they will eventually come.

https://twitter.com/DaleCalkins/stat...11754706997248

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 6:44 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Chicago Bike Lanes (those green painted lines) causing problems. Some drivers not adhering to the rules of the road. One young woman killed recently on her bike in a bike lane there.

I don't know if it's a problem here or not (yet).

CBS2 Chicago (WBBM-Tv)
Chicago's Cyclists In Danger Biking City's 100 Miles Of Bike Lanes

Video Link

But I agree with the Reporter. I don't trust our potholed streets. And also bike lane markings have to be monitored to MAKE SURE that they are visibly visible so that vehicle drivers don't think the bike lane is not a bike lane anymore.

I think things were better before these green painted lines.

Winnipeg doesn't have it as bad as some other places on the globe though:

9 Worst Bike Lanes...

Video Link

Last edited by LilZebra; May 9, 2019 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:11 PM

"Paint isn't infrastructure" is a truism for a reason.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 9:55 PM

The magical bike lanes from nowhere to nowhere on Memorial/Colony begin construction in June.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:33 PM

Usually when I bike home to Norwood from the East Exchange, I take Bannatyne to Ellen/Carlton (I hit the Snap on Portage), then Assiniboine home.

Decided to take take the new route that leads to Garry – what an absolute confusing mess. Logic would have you take a (blind turn) left off Bannatyne onto Arthur, where you'd ride on the right side. For some bizarre reason on Arthur south of McDermot, there's an opposite-direction NB lane on the left that's extremely poorly marked and unintuitive – have yet to see anyone using it in the right direction. Continuing, when you get to Notre Dame, you'd have to cross sides or turn left in front of vehicles that may be going right.

When you get to the insane mess that is the new intersection of Garry/Ellice/Notre Dame (seriously, they made it as complex as possible, ND should just have a single stop line set back a bit), all the bike signage and signals are designed to vehicle standards: so large and high up you can barely even figure out what's going on.

On top of that when you make the signalled left onto Notre Dame from Arthur, it's such a quick turn to make the right to cross the street (and there's no warning signage) that it almost baits you into turning directly into moving traffic.

I don't understand what's going on at traffic services – it's like their designing on the map without ever even trying to figure out in real life (or testing, for that matter) what the end result is. I can't imagine someone there actually tried biking these routes and came to the conclusion that it's all fine. This has to be changed – all this new cycling investment is great, but the signage (for pedestrians, cyclists, and vehicles) is atrocious. It's like they're asking for accidents so these can fail and they can go back to simpler jobs.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 2:43 AM
Formerly rypinion

Weird, here I am telling everyone how great Bannatyne/Arthur/Notre Dame/Garry is and that I can't wait for Garry to be finished south to Assiniboine. I've started using it for grocery runs to the Osborne Safeway on a pretty regular basis. Looking forward to being able to take it in both directions.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 7:58 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Weird, here I am telling everyone how great Bannatyne/Arthur/Notre Dame/Garry is and that I can't wait for Garry to be finished south to Assiniboine. I've started using it for grocery runs to the Osborne Safeway on a pretty regular basis. Looking forward to being able to take it in both directions.
Nice to know, the bike lanes are not bad

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:38 PM

Another tragedy on the city's streets. Not much information has been released, perhaps some know exactly what happened. Is the real problem that there are far too many transport trucks in the central part of the city? I just don't believe that in central Minneapolis or in central Vancouver there are nearly as many large trucks. Are downtown Winnipeg's roadways being used as crosstown routes for trucks?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan