HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 6:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
Too late for that, I think the name "Freedom Tower" is here to stay. Tho I do agree with u in the sense that I would've preferred a more creative nickname, London-style; maybe The Obelisk or The Watch Tower.
Just like the Sear tower. That name will stay even if its not the "Official name".

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 6:27 PM
Sukaitsuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Just like the Sear tower. That name will stay even if its not the "Official name".
Sears tower's name should not have been changed. Even if it doesn't belong to Sears anymore, it was built, and occupied by Sears for a long period. That toer would not have existed without Sears.

The Chrysler building is an example of something more rational: Chrysler doesn't occupy the building since many decades but it was so much linked with Chrysler that the name survived.

That means that, if someday 1WTC is entirely bought by a company (named XXXXX), it will be renamed the XXXXX Tower ??

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 9:34 PM

perhaps an alternative address could be 'One Memorial Plaza', but 'One World Trade Center' is more descriptive of its function. 'Freedom Tower' is quite catchy and meaningful too.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post
Sears tower's name should not have been changed. Even if it doesn't belong to Sears anymore, it was built, and occupied by Sears for a long period. That toer would not have existed without Sears.

The Chrysler building is an example of something more rational: Chrysler doesn't occupy the building since many decades but it was so much linked with Chrysler that the name survived.

That means that, if someday 1WTC is entirely bought by a company (named XXXXX), it will be renamed the XXXXX Tower ??
I think "One World Trade Center" is a perfect name for the tower. Obviously it establishes the building as the official replacement for the original complex, but the name "World Trade Center" still echoes throughout the world. At the end of the day, lower Manhattan is not an architectural museum to amuse skyscraper enthusiasts like us; it is a true and functioning business location where a significant cog of the global financial system is actively being turned.

I would absolutely object to the notion of a novelty name, i.e. London. "Let's Call the Tower Something Cool Just for the Sake of Being Cool... Tower". Makes no sense and it tries too hard, IMO.

I believe the name "Freedom Tower" will be a novelty, an asterisk mark in many historical documentaries that will no doubt cover the 9/11 story for generations to come. It will eventually be relegated to outdated postcards, magnets, and cheap models of the building you can pick up next to the Statue of Liberty souvenirs at LaGuardia. The name One World Trade Center is here to stay.

You made an interesting observation about the Chrysler Building and its iconic name. Did you also know the Chrysler Building is the tallest tower of any kind in the United States *without* FAA aircraft obstruction lights? Cool factoid.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I think "One World Trade Center" is a perfect name for the tower. Obviously it establishes the building as the official replacement for the original complex, but the name "World Trade Center" still echoes throughout the world. At the end of the day, lower Manhattan is not an architectural museum to amuse skyscraper enthusiasts like us; it is a true and functioning business location where a significant cog of the global financial system is actively being turned.

I would absolutely object to the notion of a novelty name, i.e. London. "Let's Call the Tower Something Cool Just for the Sake of Being Cool... Tower". Makes no sense and it tries too hard, IMO.

I believe the name "Freedom Tower" will be a novelty, an asterisk mark in many historical documentaries that will no doubt cover the 9/11 story for generations to come. It will eventually be relegated to outdated postcards, magnets, and cheap models of the building you can pick up next to the Statue of Liberty souvenirs at LaGuardia. The name One World Trade Center is here to stay.

You made an interesting observation about the Chrysler Building and its iconic name. Did you also know the Chrysler Building is the tallest tower of any kind in the United States *without* FAA aircraft obstruction lights? Cool factoid.

It would be funny if they now install one.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 2:11 AM
The Vomit Bag.

"Rebuild the twins!"
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture