HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 12:43 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

April 24, 2008

Alberta nuke panel named

By JEREMY LOOME, LEGISLATURE BUREAU

The government has established an expert panel to review the future of nuclear energy in Alberta.

Energy Minister Mel Knight said yesterday the panel will look into the environmental, public safety and health ramifications of allowing nuclear generating stations in the province. Ontario-based Bruce Power has applied for a licence to build a 4,000 megawatt plant in the Peace Country over the next dozen years.

Knight called the issue "a challenging topic. It generates strong feelings and opinions, not only in Alberta but around the world."

The application has received steady opposition from local residents and opposition political parties, who say there are more reliable and safer ways to generate additional power.

THE PANEL INCLUDES:

- Dr. Harvie Andre, a former federal cabinet minister and president and CEO of Wenzel Downhole Tools;

- Dr. Joseph Doucet, the Enbridge professor of energy policy, University of Alberta School of Business;

- Dr. Harrie Vredenburg, Haskayne School of Business, University of Calgary;

- Dr. John Luxat, Nuclear Safety Analysis expert with the Department of Engineering Physics at McMaster University, Hamilton.

"The work of the panel will provide the government and all Albertans with an unbiased examination of the issues that will help us determine together whether or not nuclear energy is the right fit for meeting Alberta's electricity needs." he said.

The opposition has suggested the decision by Bruce Power to hire Randy Dawson, head of the recent Tory election campaign, shows the government has already taken sides.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Albe...f-5371096.html

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 9:17 PM
Majestic

Province seeks to forge nuclear policy

Another article from today's Herald

Quote:
Province seeks to forge nuclear policy
Expert panel to advise on thorny issues
Renata D'Aliesio, with files from Jason Fekete, Calgary Herald, and Archie McLean, Edmonton Journal, Calgary Herald
Published: Thursday, April 24, 2008

After several years of intense lobbying from nuclear power backers seeking a foothold in Alberta, the province said Wednesday it will forge ahead to create a policy on the controversial energy source.

To help guide that policy, Energy Minister Mel Knight has assembled an expert panel to review several thorny issues associated with nuclear power, including safety, toxic waste and how the possible new supply would mesh with Alberta's electricity system.

However, these new measures don't mean the Alberta government has decided to give the nuclear option the go-ahead, the energy minister said at the legislature.

"Albertans have questions with respect to the nuclear issue, full stop. I have the same questions, and indeed what we are going to do is answer those questions for Albertans with this panel," Knight said.

"The piece that we want to do here is develop a policy for Alberta with respect to the nuclear issue. We don't have a solid written policy and this is the first step in developing that policy."

Wednesday's nuclear developments come as opposition leaders continue to raise concerns that a former Tory election campaign manager -- who helped engineer last month's massive majority win -- has shifted into lobbying on behalf of a nuclear power company vying to build a reactor near Peace River in northern Alberta.

Randy Dawson's consulting company, Spotlight Strategies, was hired recently by Ontario nuclear heavyweight Bruce Power.

Premier Ed Stelmach reiterated Wednesday that Dawson's contract with the Conservative party has ended and he doesn't see a problem with his new lobby role.

"I don't see any conflict because there isn't, absolutely, any conflict," Stelmach said in Calgary.

Knight, meanwhile, stressed that Dawson had no role in the panel's makeup. "I have never spoken with Mr. Dawson about this issue at all," he said.

Knight said the four experts chosen were picked for their work on nuclear safety or their knowledge of the energy economics.

The panel will be chaired by Harvie Andre, a federal Tory MP from 1972 to 1988 who now heads Wenzel Downhole Tools in Calgary, which provides drilling tools to the oil and gas industry.

Andre said the expert group hasn't been asked to recommend whether the government should move forward with nuclear energy.

Instead, he said it will provide the province with a clearer picture of what would and could happen if Alberta pushes forward with nuclear. The panel will also examine the experiences of jurisdictions that generate nuclear energy.

Andre, who has taught chemical engineering, said he thinks the environmental footprint associated with nuclear may be smaller than other energy resources.

"I think some of the fears have been overblown," he said.

"But," he added, "I don't have any firm views at the end of the day."

Another panellist does, however.

John Luxat, a professor at Hamilton's McMaster University and an expert in nuclear safety and technology, said Alberta has an obligation to consider nuclear technology as an option to power the oilsands instead of wasting natural gas.

"And I believe that nuclear power . . . reduces significantly the environmental footprint," said Luxat, who worked in the nuclear industry for more than 34 years before joining the university.

Despite his support for the northern Alberta nuclear project, Luxat said he sees his role on the panel not as an advocate, but as someone who can provide technical information on a contentious issue.

Critics of nuclear energy questioned Wednesday why the province has assembled the panel.

NDP Leader Brian Mason charged that the Alberta government is misleading the public. Mason suggests the province has already made up its mind and intends to open the door to nuclear.

rdaliesio@theherald.canwest.com

© The Calgary Herald 2008

Flickr

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 4:48 PM
Majestic

Alberta faces fight for reactor

The fight is on! Ding ding ding!!!

Quote:
Alberta faces fight for reactor
Saskatchewan in talks over nuclear plant
Jon Harding, Calgary Herald
Published: Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Alberta and Saskatchewan are competing to house Western Canada's first commercial nuclear power plant, Saskatchewan's Natural Resources Minister Bill Boyd confirmed Tuesday.

The energy point man for the recently elected and decidedly pro-business Saskatchewan Party said his government has held "early" talks with Bruce Power LP, the private nuclear operator from western Ontario, which laid out plans in March for a $10-billion-plus nuclear complex near Peace River, in Alberta's northwest Peace Country, operating by 2017.

"We have had early, very preliminary discussions with Bruce Power about the potential in Saskatchewan," Boyd said in an interview in Calgary, where he was speaking at a conference for energy regulators.

"(Bruce Power) has indicated to us, as well, that the site selection might be more appropriate in our province, so we are interested in that and are looking at it."

Bruce Power is about to embark on an environmental assessment related to the Alberta location, a process that could take up to three years. As well, the Alberta government, which for years was loathe to allow Canada's nuclear energy industry into the province, recently struck a panel to help form a formal Alberta policy on whether to allow nuclear power.

Bruce Power was forthright in presentations throughout the Peace Country that other site options might be considered.

Still, until the idea that Saskatchewan might offer a superior location for a plant was floated two weeks ago by Bruce Power's majority owner, TransCanada Corp., it was not known that Saskatchewan was in Bruce Power's sights.

Boyd said the province, which produces a third of the world's nuclear fuel -- uranium -- would welcome the massive investment.

Saskatchewan-based Cameco Corp., the world's largest producer of uranium, is a minority owner of Bruce Power.

"We are comfortable with the science and we certainly believe it is something we want to take a look at at," Boyd said. "We have approximately one-third of the known uranium reserves in the world, so it certainly makes sense for us to take a look at the next stages of development, upgrading, refining and through to generation, and that certainly is what we are prepared to do.

"There is a huge emerging market for electricity supply going forward both in Saskatchewan and Alberta and certainly to the south of us in the United States."

Longtime anti-nuclear advocate Dave Weir of Regina, a director with the Regina Citizens for a Nuclear Free Society, said the Saskatchewan Party "doesn't have a hope" of luring Bruce Power due to significant public sentiment in Saskatchewan that remains firmly aligned against having a nuclear plant.

"There is a really, really strong and latent anti-nuclear sentiment in the province," Weir said.

"Now that the New Democratic Party is no longer the government, NDPers will feel free to express themselves, whereas they felt muzzled before because the provincial government was promoting and defending the uranium industry."

Saskatchewan repelled a push in the early 1990s for small nuclear reactors and for a uranium refinery near Saskatoon.

Boyd denied Saskatchewan was actually competing with Alberta for one project and instead said the neighbouring provinces, which will both require new power generation facilities in coming years to keep pace with demand, could pursue one project, located in Saskatchewan, that might be "complementary to both jurisdictions." He refused to elaborate.

Kincardine, Ont.-based Bruce Power said in March it has applied to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission to prepare a 390-hectare site on Lac Cardinal, 30 kilometres west of Peace River. It said the Peace River facility would produce up to 4,000 megawatts of power from four reactors, among the largest operating nuclear generating stations in the world.

Duncan Hawthorne, president and chief executive of Bruce Power and its subsidiary, Bruce Power Alberta Inc., cautioned to not view Bruce Power's interest in Saskatchewan as an "either/or scenario."

"As we understand this market better, we see a significant potential in Western Canada," Hawthorne said. "You can't look in Western Canada without looking at the flows of rivers, the flows of transmission lines and generally the climate for power. It takes you into a situation where you look beyond the Alberta border and see Saskatchewan as a possibility.

"At the same time, the premier of Saskatchewan (Brad Wall) has been pretty bullish on the growth potential he sees for Saskatchewan development."

At 4,400 MW, the proposed Peace River nuclear complex would churn out as much power as all of the current installed capacity in Saskatchewan.

Hawthorne said there needs to be a "meeting of the minds" between Wall and Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach on the issue of power.

He also would not elaborate on Boyd's "complementary" vision.

"I think the logic we would have is there is demand growth in Saskatchewan, but not as pronounced as Alberta, and to that extent I would say, without any more detail, the complement would be around the possibility you could build in Saskatchewan and supply to Alberta," Hawthorne said.

Bruce Power gained its foothold in Alberta by buying Energy Alberta last year. The private Calgary company had started the project planning process and owned an exclusivity agreement with Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. (AEC) to deploy AEC's CANDU technology in Alberta.

jharding@theherald.canwest.com

© The Calgary Herald 2008

Flickr

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:59 PM
Closed account

I'd say the Saskatchewan government might have the edge here since they have a large supply of Uranium and more or less a small industry. I've always been more surprised why they haven't gone further in building a reactor and processing facilities, in fact they could be one of the leaders in that in the world.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid1 View Post
I'd say the Saskatchewan government might have the edge here since they have a large supply of Uranium and more or less a small industry. I've always been more surprised why they haven't gone further in building a reactor and processing facilities, in fact they could be one of the leaders in that in the world.
uh...I'm pretty sure Canada is the leading producer of uranium in the world....so sask probably has a 'world title' they can claim.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 8:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
uh...I'm pretty sure Canada is the leading producer of uranium in the world....so sask probably has a 'world title' they can claim.
Actualy Australia I believe is the leading producer of Uranium
But I don't think Saskatchewan is considered to be this leading producer (in fact I believe many Canadians do not know how important Saskachetwan is in terms of Uranium mining) but to my original point is that I believe Saskachewan could further push itself as an important Uranium miner, refiner, and user.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 9:20 PM
working stiff

Quote:

Alberta or Saskatchewan?

There are several benefits associated with the building of a nuclear reactor near existing operational oil sands sites, however, I don't fully understand how a reactor in Saskatchewan would benefit the Alberta oil sands operators, and indeed the owners of the power plant (e.g. Bruce Power). One point in particular, the supply of steam from the power plant was said to have measurable benefits for oil sands operators. Judging by a map, the distance from a Saskatchewan power plant to the Alberta oil sands may negatively affect the ability to provide steam for oil sands processing (e.g. hot steam can only travel so far). Perhaps steam is not a huge concern in the overall scheme, but it is certainly something to consider.

Northern Development
It is a well known fact that Saskatchewan has a well developed uranium mining industry, as a result, support for processing and nuclear power generation have increased over the years as new technology developed, realization of economic benefits, and recognition from broader international interests intensify. As an industry leader, Cameco has established great working relationships with northern communities (comprised primarily of aboriginal ancestry) and likely understands the potential for employment just as much as the government does.

The Future
On a more positive note (or negative), it is safe to assume government and industry representatives are looking towards future opportunities and conflict. Building a nuclear plant in Saskatchewan may in fact solidify support for development of Saskatchewan's oil sands, in addition to Alberta's oil sands. Under current conditions, Alberta receives much of the criticism from environmental groups and Canadians alike. Development within other jurisdictions may relieve provincial governments and the respective industries as the criticism could be directed towards a broader audience/area, normalizing the issues (e.g. Alberta and Saskatchewan = Western Canada?).

Conclusion
Building the first nuclear plant in Western Canada is as much an economic and environmental issue, as it is a political one. The question is, which province is best equipped or most receptive to such an averse undertaking?

Source

Source

Source - Oilsands Quest discovery

Source - Oilsands Quest discovery

Source

Source

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 9:21 PM

Having a major uranium supply close by is not really a huge competitive advantage as the amount of uranium consumed by a reactor is very small compared to the amounts of fuel required by other types of thermal generation. There are two problems to a nuclear reactor in SK:

1) Demand is insufficient within the province. The only way this could make sense is if the power is exported, likely to AB.

2) The provincial owned SaskPower would likely view this as a threat.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 9:25 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Having a major uranium supply close by is not really a huge competitive advantage as the amount of uranium consumed by a reactor is very small compared to the amounts of fuel required by other types of thermal generation. There are two problems to a nuclear reactor in SK:

1) Demand is insufficient within the province. The only way this could make sense is if the power is exported, likely to AB.

2) The provincial owned SaskPower would likely view this as a threat.
Perhaps SaskPower could have a stake in it?

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 9:42 PM
Closed account

Thanks for that info SASKFTW
By the way, what's the people's take in Saskatchewan on having a nuclear reactor built in the province?

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 10:55 PM
working stiff

Lake Diefenbaker area preferred for nuclear plant: report
Consultant's report, prepared in February 2007, says power plant could go near Elbow: report
TheStarPhoenix.com
Published: Wednesday, May 7, 2008

An area near Lake Diefenbaker is SaskPower's preferred site for a nuclear power plant, according to a media report on Wednesday.

CBC News reported that the information is part of a consultant's report by Stantec Consulting Ltd. According to CBC, the consultant's report - prepared in February 2007 - says a power plant at Elbow, which is located near Lake Diefenbaker, would be preferable to other sites.

"Potentially, the Lake Diefenbaker region could be the site of a Candu 6 plant configured with two steam turbine generators instead of the standard 750-megawatt, single-steam turbine unit," the report said, according to CBC. "Plant output from this option would be split equally between Saskatchewan and Alberta."

An area near Lake Diefenbaker is SaskPower's preferred site for a nuclear power plant, according to a leaked report.

Noted in the report is the area's large water supply, necessary for generating nuclear power.

CBC says the report also cautions that approximately 40 per cent of Saskatchewan people get their drinking water from the Lake Diefenbaker watershed.

CBC says the Lac La Loche area was also considered.

The report doesn't recommend whether or not SaskPower should proceed with a nuclear plant. It does suggest more studies before any location would be chosen.

The report was commissioned by the previous NDP administration.

Source

Lake Diefenbaker region preferred site for nuclear plant: SaskPower report
Last Updated: Wednesday, May 7, 2008 | 11:51 AM CT Comments20 Recommend 13
CBC News

SaskPower's preferred location for a nuclear power plant is near Lake Diefenbaker in central Saskatchewan, CBC News has learned.

The information is contained in a consultant's report prepared by Stantec Consulting Ltd. for the Crown utility last year.

CBC News has obtained a copy of the report, which was written in February 2007. The report says a power plant at Elbow, near Lake Diefenbaker, would be preferable to other potential sites.

"Potentially, the Lake Diefenbaker region could be the site of a Candu 6 plant configured with two steam turbine generators instead of the standard 750-megawatt, single-steam turbine unit," the report said. "Plant output from this option would be split equally between Saskatchewan and Alberta."

The report cites the area's large water supply, which is needed for generating nuclear power.

It also mentions that the site would be near populated areas, reducing the need to transmit power over long distances.
More study needed, report says

However, the report also cautions that roughly 40 per cent of Saskatchewan people get their drinking water from the Lake Diefenbaker watershed.

The Lac La Loche area was also considered in the report, because it's near a potential oilsands development in northwestern Saskatchewan. The proposal was for a cogeneration plant that would produce electricity and steam, with the assumption that the electrical output would be half that of a CANDU 6.

The study looked at environmental and cost factors, cooling-water requirements, exclusion zones, seismology, transmission systems, weather and geotechnical conditions.

Ultimately, the Lac La Loche area was not seen as the best choice.

The report recommends a further, more detailed study on Lake Diefenbaker before any final decision is made on the location of a power plant. It doesn't make any recommendations about whether or not SaskPower should proceed with a nuclear plant.

The report was commissioned by the previous NDP administration.

Before he was elected premier, Brad Wall promised to make the report public, but the government has not yet done so.

On Wednesday, a government spokesperson confirmed the authenticity of the report. However, the government had decided not to make it public, the spokesperson said.

Source

The green arrow is Elbow, SK.

The green arrow is Lac La Loche, SK.

Last edited by Ruckus; May 7, 2008 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 11:00 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Thanks for that info SASKFTW
By the way, what's the people's take in Saskatchewan on having a nuclear reactor built in the province?
I would say there is growing support, especially in comparison to the opposition during the 1980s to develop a processing facility and reactor north of Saskatoon.

Here is an article outlining recent polling...

Nuclear plant supported: poll
Less than 10 per cent strongly oppose plan
Cassandra Kyle, The StarPhoenix
Published: Saturday, February 16, 2008

Two-thirds of respondents to a poll, or 66.3 per cent, support the development of a nuclear power plant within the province.

And nearly the same proportion of respondents, 66.4 per cent, support the development of a nuclear refinery in Saskatchewan, according to data from an Insightrix Research Inc. poll conducted in early February.

Only 8.5 per cent of the 801 random Saskatchewan respondents polled strongly oppose any refinement, while just under 12 per cent strongly oppose a nuclear energy facility. Insightrix's data is considered accurate within plus or minus 3.4 percentage points, 19 times out of 20.

But when respondents were asked whether they would support a nuclear plant in or near their community, nearly half, 44.3 per cent, said they would oppose nuclear development near their homes. Support for a nearby plant fell to 38.5 per cent, while the remaining 17.2 per cent of respondents are unsure or have no position.

Support fell further still when it came to the development of a nuclear waste facility in the Canadian Shield. Almost 48 per cent of respondents oppose any such plan for a waste facility, while 43.6 per cent would support the idea. Nearly 35 per cent of people who would support the development of a refinery oppose nuclear waste storage in the Canadian Shield.

Lang McGilp, Insightrix's vice-president of research services, said the poll results are generally positive and show Saskatchewanians have a strong appetite for the development of nuclear energy in the province. The company conducted the survey on its own behalf as part of its Saskatchewan On Topic campaign, McGilp explained.

Public opinion on nuclear development, however, is subject to frequent change, said Jim Harding, a retired University of Regina professor and author of Canada's Deadly Secret: Saskatchewan Uranium and the Global Nuclear System. When the Canadian Nuclear Association presents a strong marketing campaign, he said, public opinion favours nuclear development. When anti-nuclear energy groups spread messages, opinion often changes to favour renewable energy sources.

"In Saskatchewan, because of the perceived economic benefits, you are going to have a higher percentage (of people who favour nuclear development), and until people are educated about alternatives and understand the environmental damage, I don't think that's going to change," Harding said.

Just under 45 per cent of respondents believe nuclear power is less damaging on the environment than fossil-fuel methods of generating electricity, according to the poll, while 23.9 per cent believe nuclear power is more damaging to the environment than oil and gas. People with higher levels of education, Insightrix's report states, are more likely to believe nuclear power is less damaging on the environment.

"I have no doubt public opinion will start to shift once the alternatives are understood," Harding said.

Additional results from the poll show support for both the refinery and power plant initiatives is weaker among people of aboriginal ancestry than those of other backgrounds. Men are more likely to support the ideas than women, support increases with household income and support is strongest among those who claim to have right-leaning political views than left-leaning opinions.

Earlier this week, Edmonton-based Triple Five Energy announced plans to develop uranium, oil and gas deposits on First Nations land in Saskatchewan. The company said it would like to build a refinery in the province in the next three to four years.

Insightrix's poll was completed before Triple Five's announcement on Feb. 13.

ckyle@sp.canwest.com

Source

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 11:30 PM
working stiff

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 4:18 AM
working stiff

I hope you Alberta forumers don't mind me posting these Saskatchewan articles in the Alberta forum, it is obvious the issue of nuclear power generation is of importance to both of our provinces.

From initial reports, I'm quite comfortable with a nuclear plant going near Lake Diefenbaker, although further study and discussion of the ecological impacts are necessary before more detailed conceptual plans are pursued.

No nuclear reactor plans at Lake Diefenbaker set in stone: Sask. Party
Denial came on the day a 2007 SaskPower report surfaced naming a site near Elbow as the preferred location
James Wood, TheStarPhoenix.com, with SNN files from Angela Hall
Published: Wednesday, May 7, 2008

REGINA - The Saskatchewan Party government denied Wednesday the Lake Diefenbaker area has been picked as the home of any future nuclear reactor in the province.

The denial came on the day a 2007 SaskPower report surfaced naming a site near Elbow as the preferred location.

The document, prepared under the previous NDP government, was leaked to the CBC after Sask. Party Energy and Resources Minister Bill Boyd said in Calgary Tuesday the government would welcome development from the private-sector nuclear company, Bruce Power LP, which has recently expressed interest in Saskatchewan.

But Crown Corporations Minister Ken Cheveldayoff said Wednesday the SaskPower document prepared under the NDP was of limited relevance because it was based on the idea of the Crown corporation building and operating a nuclear plant, which the government has ruled out.

"It underscores some of the needs of a reactor and some of the places it would make sense in Saskatchewan. But on further examination it's a very preliminary study and I'm told before a reactor would be contemplated an extensive study would have to be done," Cheveldayoff told reporters.

He said there are numerous other potential sites for a nuclear plant in the province besides those mentioned in the report.

The 2007 report, which was prepared by Stantec Consulting, looked at potential candidates for a nuclear power plant either around Lake Diefenbaker or near Lac La Roche.

A site on the eastern shore of the Lake Diefenbaker was said to be the "preferred site," with the document noting it is easily accessible from Regina and Saskatoon and is near communities such as Elbow and Outlook, which would be helpful for potential employees.

However, the report also noted the lake - a "multipurpose reservoir" - provides domestic water for about 40 per cent of Saskatchewan, including water drawn from the South Saskatchewan River downstream of the reservoir.

The report said the agricultural land in the area will "likely have no influence on the potential plant development and operation."

"The recreational areas, however, may be a potential constraint as these locations have campsites and the locations could be difficult to evacuate should that be required during an emergency event."

Elbow Mayor David Cross said he had been unaware of the SaskPower report and the fact his region had been named as a potential site for a nuclear plant.

"We would be interested in economic development here just like most places in Saskatchewan," Cross said.

But the area also relies heavily on tourism and wouldn't want to jeopardize that either, he said.

"There's a balance to be had here," he said.

"If the water from such a nuclear plant were going to warm the lake water to the extent where we had algae blooms or it was detrimental the fish stock or whatever else, I think that would generate concern for the community, too."

Cross said it's his personal opinion that there is "nothing innately scary" about the idea of nuclear power but understands a number of concerns about the technology would have to be addressed if it were to ever move forward in the area.

NDP Deputy Leader Pat Atkinson said she had never viewed the SaskPower document, but knew that the NDP ruled out proceeding with the idea of a nuclear plant because it did not make economic sense.

But Atkinson said that since the Sask. Party has acknowledged it talked with Bruce Power about a nuclear plant, the government is obligated to make public which sites in Saskatchewan are being considered. She called Lake Diefenbaker a "very problematic" potential location given its importance as a water source.

However, Boyd told reporters at the legislature that Bruce Power expressed only general interest in Saskatchewan -- not in any specific site -- in the recent meeting he had with company president Duncan Hawthorne.

Hawthorne also told The StarPhoenix Wednesday the company is not eyeing a particular site.

Peter Prebble, manger of energy and water policy with the Saskatchewan Environmental Society, said the province should rule out the nuclear route altogether and focus instead on large-scale energy conservation efforts and on more renewable energy such as wind power.

Prebble, a former NDP MLA who did not run in the last election, said Lake Diefenbaker as a possible location raises particular concerns given the amount of people who rely on it as a source of drinking water.

"I think the risk of a serious accident is very low. But if it does happen the consequences are crippling," said Prebble, adding there are also day-to-day concerns about the impact on water.

He said a reactor would also "put Saskatchewan on the map as a potential high-level radioactive waste repository site."

Cheveldayoff said the SaskPower document had not been publicly released by the Sask. Party - which has repeatedly promised to make public all government work on the province's nuclear potential - because a confidentiality agreement had been signed under the previous NDP government.

The $60,000 report was partially funded by federal Crown corporation Atomic Energy Canada Ltd.

Source

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 1:40 AM
working stiff

Expert favours Alberta over Sask. for reactor
James Wood, Saskatchewan News Network
Published: Friday, May 09, 2008

Alberta is likely still the best bet for western Canada's first nuclear reactor even as a private nuclear operator eyes Saskatchewan and its western neighbour as potential locations, says a University of Alberta professor.

Bruce Power LP has been moving forward with plans for a 4,000-megawatt nuclear plant near Peace River, Alberta but recently indicated that Saskatchewan may be a better location.

Andrew Leach, professor of energy and resource economics at the U of A's business school, said the massive oilsands projects in northern Alberta are likely key to nuclear development in the province.

"In some ways, the oilsands provide exactly the right situation for nuclear power to be very lucrative. It's long-run, guaranteed demand for electricity almost year-round. That's exactly the environment you would look for if you were trying to site a nuclear power plant," he said in an interview this week.

Alberta and Saskatchewan's very different electrical markets each have advantages and disadvantages for a potential nuclear operation.

The ability to sign contracts with industry such as the oilsands projects in Alberta's deregulated market is likely an advantage, said Leach.

Saskatchewan's provincially-owned electrical utility SaskPower would be the buyer of power generated by a nuclear reactor.

But the provincial government has potentially much more flexibility in terms of providing incentives for Bruce Power or another company, said Leach.

"There certainly is a greater ability to do that, I would suggest, because the Alberta government explicitly can't be in the business of subsidizing the construction of a power plant," he said.

However, Bruce Power chief executive officer Duncan Hawthorne told the StarPhoenix this week the company is not looking for government handouts for its project.

Hawthorne cited Saskatchewan's much greater water supply as one reason the province may be attractive.

TransCanada Corp. is the majority owner of Bruce Power and company CEO Hal Kvisle noted lower costs in Saskatchewan as a potential reason for moving the proposed reactor

The construction costs associated with nuclear power are massive in any case -- as are the potential environmental problems.

But Leach thinks governments are very serious about pursuing the nuclear option and the reason is climate change.

Alberta and Saskatchewan are the two biggest greenhouse gas emitters in Canada and nuclear power, which has minimal emissions when operating, is seen as something of a magic bullet.

Saskatchewan has promised to stabilize greenhouse gas emissions by 2010 and reduce them by 32 per cent by 2020.

"I think it's driving everything. To my eyes, it's the only reason ... we're talking about building a nuclear power plant on top of a pile of coal, essentially," said Leach.

Source

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Actualy Australia I believe is the leading producer of Uranium
But I don't think Saskatchewan is considered to be this leading producer (in fact I believe many Canadians do not know how important Saskachetwan is in terms of Uranium mining) but to my original point is that I believe Saskachewan could further push itself as an important Uranium miner, refiner, and user.
no its canada. you can google that. australia may have the largest proven reserves of uranium.

Either way Canada and Australia are the most important countries in the world in regards to uranium.

Old Posted May 12, 2008, 12:43 PM

May 12, 2008

The nuclear power divide
Debate over plant splits friends, communities

By DEAN BENNETT, THE CANADIAN PRESS

PEACE RIVER -- Dan and Huguette Ropchan stand on the grainy edge of ice-crusted Lac Cardinal in northwest Alberta and worry that in a decade, they'll have to raise their wheat and canola in the shadow of monster nuclear cooling towers.

In Peace River, a 15-minute drive down the road, contractors for Bruce Power put the finishing touches on a storefront office.

Bruce Power president Duncan Hawthorne says the walk-in shop will give residents the straight goods on the nuclear plant proposal and balance what he calls the misleading data of the intractable "ideological opposition."

Across town, Brenda Brochu, of the Peace River Environmental Society, distributes statistics that show going nuclear is the surest way to contaminate soil and food, and raises the odds a child will contract blood cancer.

South of Lac Cardinal, area reeve Veronica Bliska fights to keep control of a council that has flipped, flopped and flipped again on an issue that has spawned grassroots protest groups, sparked feuds on editorial pages and turned longtime friends against each other.

Bruce Power - a private nuclear operator that provides more than 20% of Ontario's electricity - has optioned land to build a $10-billion, four-reactor, 4,000-megawatt plant on the lake's northwestern edge.

Two months ago, it applied to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission for a site licence that would kickstart an environmental review.

In the meantime, Premier Ed Stelmach's government has struck a four-person panel to review the pros and cons of going nuclear.

Last month, Bruce Power held four open houses in the region. Opponents said officials failed to answer key questions; proponents said anti-nukers hijacked the microphone.

Dan Ropchan attended, and didn't like what he heard.

"I'm not against nuclear research," said the 72-year-old farmer and engineer. "What I am against is using it for generating electricity. I think a nuclear power plant is an atomic bomb under control. You lose control of it, you have an atomic bomb."

The Ropchan clan has farmed the south shore of Lac Cardinal for almost 80 years. Their roots go back to Romanian immigrants.

Huguette, 65, has written letters to Stelmach, hoping to find kinship with a fellow northern Alberta farmer with roots in Eastern Europe.

When she spoke out against the plant to reporters, longtime friends turned their backs when she went to get her mail in nearby Grimshaw.

"What the heck are you doing?" she says they asked. "You're stopping progress. You're stopping emancipation of our small community."

Hawthorne, whose company is headquartered in Tiverton, Ont., said the public relations battle has been all he expected.

"There's no doubt ... there's majority support for exploring the option, but it's a community that's really short of facts and good information."

Hawthorne said the reactor type and the configuration of the plant are all up for debate. It may be used to help power the province's multibillion-dollar oilsands industry or provide power to other customers. Or both.

Hawthorne says if the plant doesn't pass muster - economically or environmentally - it won't get built.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Albe...f-5538716.html

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 10:29 PM

"I'm not against nuclear research," said the 72-year-old farmer and engineer. "What I am against is using it for generating electricity. I think a nuclear power plant is an atomic bomb under control. You lose control of it, you have an atomic bomb."

What a moronic comment. By the same logic, he's against automobile engines burning gasoline, because a full tank of gas is the equivalent of 60 sticks of dynamite.

OH NO!!!

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 2:16 AM
working stiff

Cameco President Says Sask Not Quite Ready For Nuclear Plant

By Brynn Harris
Updated May 16, 2008 - 6:13am

The President of a prominent Saskatchewan uranium mining company does not think the province is ready for a nuclear power plant.

Recently, a leaked SaskPower report named Lake Diefenbaker as an ideal spot for one.

Cameco President and CEO, Jerry Grandey, says Saskatchewan does not have enough people to support the electrical output of a nuclear power plant.

"Saskatchewan with a million people is just a little bit small, because one reactor can service about one million people. Generally you want to have two, because you have to shut down one to reload the fuel and to do maintenance, and if you don't have the second one, then you're going to be without lights for awhile, and that's not a desirable thing," Grandey said.

Grandey says when coal power plants shut down, and a nuclear plant is needed, a partnership with another jurisdiction, like Alberta, or the United States, would be the best scenario.

Source

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 9:55 AM

Where will waste go?
Nuclear power plant debate heats up

May 31, 2008 - Edmonton Sun

By JEREMY LOOME, LEGISLATURE BUREAU

Albertans could face a significantly higher risk of radioactive exposure due to storage transportation, say opponents of a proposal to build a nuclear power station in the Peace Country.

Canada is still 20 to 30 years away from completing a national storage facility, which according to the Nuclear Waste Management Organization (NWMO) would see spent fuel rods from across Canada being shipped to one central underground storage location.

The process to begin finding a host community for that facility starts this fall.

But according to Peace Country environmental activists, a study out of the University of Calgary shows there is nowhere geologically appropriate at the proposed location that would suit an underground, temporary on-site storage chamber.

With the Peace Country facility expected to take 12-15 years to be approved - if at all - that would mean transporting it to a storage facility elsewhere in the province.

The risk from transportation will increase, says environmentalist and municipal councillor Trudy Keillor, when the federal facility is built some 15 years later.

Then, she says it will likely be much farther from the station - possibly as far away as New Brunswick.

"Any time you're putting a lot more of this material on the roads, you are increasing the risk of public exposure," she said.

"The same study that says you can't store it on-site also says it isn't cost-effective here and we're talking about 190 pages of research."

The head of the industry-funded NWMO, Ken Nash, said transportation is one of the ongoing concerns his organization has heard from Canadians as they've worked towards establishing the national storage facility.

While noting his organization does not endorse or oppose new plants - "we're agnostic on nuclear," he says - it does recognize that many of the fears associated with it stem from a different era.

Major nuclear incidents like the near-meltdown in 1979 at Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania, and the catastrophe in 1986 at Chernobyl in Ukraine, then part of the Soviet Union, made the world step back from its use.

"It's an issue, and once you've dealt with the question of getting a willing host (community) - and that's quite a piece of work in itself - then how do you get a transportation corridor approved?" he said.

It's so far into the future that the NWMO hasn't developed any kind of answer yet; but Nash notes transporting nuclear waste in Canada is not new, with Ontario already dealing with some two million spent radioactive fuel rods annually.

"For instance, in Ontario, it's going on all the time. Ontario Power Generation has different shipments throughout the year through its different facilities. Has it ever been in the public eye? No. Has there ever been an accident? No.

"This particular type of fuel is shipped all over the world. It's shipped from Europe, Japan, the U.S."

It's also one more reason why Albertans should reject the wide-scale introduction of nuclear power, said Greenpeace spokesman Mike Hudema.

"At every stage, nuclear raises new safety issues. If there is an accident, the results would be catastrophic. And really, this is just one more way right now for governments to delay dealing wth the real issue, which is climate change," he said.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Albe...f-5731106.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia