HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 7:02 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Or, call it Assiniboine Park Conservatory & Gardens, since that's where it is. Continue to establish the park as a recognizable name, across Canada and US like Stanley Park, Grant Park (Chicago), High Park, Central Park, Parc Jean-Drapeau etc.

Establish Assiniboine as one of the continent's premiere parks/destinations. It's already getting there, this will bump it up even higher. Take advantage of it.
Seconded. Assiniboine Park is an absolute jewel and needs to be promoted as often as possible.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Seconded. Assiniboine Park is an absolute jewel and needs to be promoted as often as possible.
How about "Diversity Gardens at Assiniboine Park"? Too wimpy? :roll eyes:

Whatever it's called I agree the Park is a huge asset to the city as both a travel destination and a great place to live.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:42 PM

Katz-Sheegl Gardens, to remember in perpetuity the duo who wanted to sell park land for pennies on the dollar and allow construction of condos.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:47 PM

Probably to their crony fuddy duddy buddies through shell companies. Good organized criminals are very adept at breaking the rules. Just look at the US.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 9:09 PM

There has been a cost increase due to the complexities of those project, the original $75 Million budget has increased to 97.8 Million.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; May 2, 2019 at 9:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 9:32 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
There has been a cost increase due to the complexities of those project, the original $75 Million burger has increased to 97.8 Million.
That is a great auto-correct!

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
That is a great auto-correct!
lol it’s hard to use this forum on an iPhone, there should be an app for this site or mobile compatible.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Katz-Sheegl Gardens, to remember in perpetuity the duo who wanted to sell park land for pennies on the dollar and allow construction of condos.
Say what we will about Katz, but he probably did more for Assiniboine Park, the zoo, and the conservancy than we've seen in a few generations.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:18 PM

Some of you get sidetracked very easily on things that are really non-issues. Diversity Gardens reflects the fact that the gardens will represent different regions around the world. It's as much about indigenous as it is about Mediterranean. The fact is it's going to be an amazing destination.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:25 PM

Well whatever the case, "Diversity Gardens" is a nauseatingly vacuous name.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:26 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Some of you get sidetracked very easily on things that are really non-issues. Diversity Gardens reflects the fact that the gardens will represent different regions around the world. It's as much about indigenous as it is about Mediterranean. The fact is it's going to be an amazing destination.
It still reeks of political correctness.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:33 PM

If it's such a major issue for you, why not get in touch with the Conservancy to try to get it changed, start up a facebook page, call your MP, and so on. For me, I'm happy to have such an amazing thing in Winnipeg. Not going to get all caught up in whether the name is perfect or not. The fact is a lot of government funding went into building it and sometimes governments have issues they want to promote. There are worse things than diversity.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:36 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
If it's such a major issue for you, why not get in touch with the Conservancy to try to get it changed, start up a facebook page, call your MP, and so on. For me, I'm happy to have such an amazing thing in Winnipeg. Not going to get all caught up in whether the name is perfect or not. The fact is a lot of government funding went into building it and sometimes governments have issues they want to promote. There are worse things than diversity.
Don't confuse my aversion to obvious political pandering with dislike for the project. I am 100% behind this being a thing here. It is certainly going to be a good thing for the city. What I have trouble with is when people toss around buzzwords that don't really mean anything and it starts to seep into other aspects of life not restricted to political discourse.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Don't confuse my aversion to obvious political pandering with dislike for the project. I am 100% behind this being a thing here. It is certainly going to be a good thing for the city. What I have trouble with is when people toss around buzzwords that don't really mean anything and it starts to seep into other aspects of life not restricted to political discourse.
Yup. I think the project is a good thing overall, but it doesn't mean the name won't cause my eyes to roll. It's still just going to be "the Conservatory" at "City Park" as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 4:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Well whatever the case, "Diversity Gardens" is a nauseatingly vacuous name.
No kidding! A sponsors name to the garden would have made more sense economically.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
No kidding! A sponsors name to the garden would have made more sense economically.
I'm sure they'd be willing to entertain a deal if someone cut a cheque big enough.

Naming it after a big donor could be tasteful and dignified, but I would prefer something that isn't a corporate name. I mean, could you imagine...

Budweiser Gardens
Pizza Hotline Conservatory
Mr. Lube House of Leafy Green Shit

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Will be changed and it won't be either of those.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 11:40 PM

People, specifically those who like to outraged at perceived political correctness on the internet, like to see or interpret things that aren't there. It further fuels there rage towards the likes of SJWs. When I heard this would be called diversity gardens my first thought was diversity is a description of the variety of flora and fauna or the various ecosystems one would encounter when visiting this fine new facility. Certainly not an attempt to be inclusive to all those who would like to visit.

While I think this will be a fine addition to the city's list of local attractions, I don't think it will be a major draw outside the city...maybe not even a minor draw at that. Nor will it be some one-of-a-kind conservatory that can't be found in many other cities. Just go to Wikipedia and type in conservatories in Canada and the USA. There are many that are just as large and impressive as what we will have here in Winnipeg.

I also question how many people will be enthused to spend $12 - $15 to look at plants for an hour or two in a climate-controlled environment...at least long-term as the first time it will be a novelty. The old conservatory was smaller, but it was free. It will be quite the adjustment to transition from something that is free to something that will not be a insignificant cost for a family of 4 or 5...and how many kids would actually be interested in spending more then a few minutes reading about the fascinating life cycle of a foreign species?

I'm sure it will be interesting facility but I have my doubts attendance will be all that great for the indoor portion of it. I hope their financial model will account for this long term.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 12:57 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
It still reeks of political correctness.
Haha yeah no kidding.

It will be free just like the old one was. The money will be be made like before with weddings and events.

And it will be named in a fashion that respects the community, not federal virtue signalling.

Last edited by Riverman; May 4, 2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Sp.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Budweiser Gardens
Already taken

https://www.budweisergardens.com/

(Actually a good place to see a hockey game)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan