HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 1:00 AM

San Antonio-Austin CSA?

According to the Greater Austin-San Antonio Corridor Council it could happen by 2013.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...103170419.html

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 1:32 AM

Dang, you beat me to it by 25 minutes. Glad to see there's another forumer with nothing to do on Friday night

Not sure if there's a functional difference between "consolidated statistical area" and "combined statistical area", which currently describes two or more metro or micro areas with 20% or greater commuter interchange, but if the two metros are working together a 15% interchange would be enough to combine them under the OMB.

I never really thought this was likely, given that San Francisco/Sacramento and Tampa/Orlando are about the same distance apart and not combined, but I could see it working given the distribution of cities along the I-35 corridor making it easy to commute from metro to metro, if not necessarily central city to central city. The 15% threshold doesn't have to be Bexar to Travis, it could just be Comal or Guadalupe to Hays or vice-versa in order to count.

This would be huge for both areas, lifting them from two disparate mid-size metros to the 7th largest statistical area in the southern U.S.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 10:23 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
This would be huge for both areas, lifting them from two disparate mid-size metros to the 7th largest statistical area in the southern U.S.
That would be awesome, we are so disimilar that with our powers combined we could be amazing.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 2:21 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Like some sort of superhero league.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 2:54 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Aww man, now we're gonna be weird and lame!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Like some sort of superhero league.
Naw, that'll have to wait until 2050 when DFW, Houston, SA and Austin all become one CSA of 25 million

Old Posted Sep 20, 2010, 7:40 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
Aww man, now we're gonna be weird and lame!
YES! That would be fantastic! haha Those are two personality traits I'm told I have all the time.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 6:26 AM

I was just called an ass by Buckeye Native in the city discussions room because I started this same topic about the possibilities of a SA/Austin CSA. Also Hudkina I believe said San Antonio and Austin leaders are ignorant for thinking it could be a possibility. Maybe local officials are wrong based on the old census data, the criteria needed for CSA designation, but, calling them ignorant is un-called for.

All I can say is...unbelievable!
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2010, 11:43 PM

I looked at that thread Paul, and thanks to the actual numbers that certain people produced (you know, the result of a little thing called "research"), I'm convinced it isn't going to happen. In fact, I feel stupid for even considering the idea.

So in a weird, twisted way you shed some light on the subject. Good work.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I looked at that thread Paul, and thanks to the actual numbers that certain people produced (you know, the result of a little thing called "research"), I'm convinced it isn't going to happen. In fact, I feel stupid for even considering the idea.

So in a weird, twisted way you shed some light on the subject. Good work.
They are using data from 1999. Based on those stats, no, it wouldn't be a possibility. When a metro grows so do all the factors including commuting interchange. It may not happen for another 20 years, but the possibilty exists.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 3:30 PM

The other major forum that has the same topic, many people believe it will happen. Of course not in here, and it should be expected.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Sep 22, 2010 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 3:35 PM

Some of the people on here are pathetic and closed minded!

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Sep 22, 2010 at 4:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 4:05 PM

Here is email, a thread about San Antonio surpassing San Diego and Philadephia in city proper population. It was closed because they didn't think it was going to happen. Buckeye and the rest of that clan can't come in here, lol.

Hi Paul,

I have no idea what happened to your thread. I am omnipotent, but not omniscient.

-$%^& moderator name cut

[quote]
Paul in S.A TX wrote on 11-16-2004 09:19 PM:
what happened to my thread? it was legite, San Antonio has a chance to pass the cities slightly ahead in city pop.Everyone thinks that because of that S.A is better in my eyes.Thats not true, those are just numbers and ranks.
S.A. is about 40 or 50,000 less than San Diego, we could surpass them beasue they are more landlocked by water and suburbs.

.Philly is only going to lose more population to it's suburbs.I'm sure they are trying to stop that trend but it can't be totally stopped. I know the forumers that said it wouldnt happen, know that it eventually will, they just like to mess with me.Instead they are childish and wanna trash the tread instead of giving reasons why it won't happen,Not one gave at least one reason. Instead
'Oh Paul thinks SA is the best city in the whole wide world" What a crock of poop!

Anyway thanks,

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 4:17 PM

Don't let a FEW people make you decide to delete.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2010, 5:02 PM
Meh

Paul, let's keep this thread on topic. Bringing up past arguments/discussions from a thread from 6 years ago, and trolling another forumer in here shouldn't be what this thread is about.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
I was just called an ass by Buckeye Native in the city discussions room because I started this same topic about the possibilities of a SA/Austin CSA. Also Hudkina I believe said San Antonio and Austin leaders are ignorant for thinking it could be a possibility. Maybe local officials are wrong based on the old census data, the criteria needed for CSA designation, but, calling them ignorant is un-called for.

All I can say is...unbelievable!
Don't let Hudinka the unapologetic Detroit booster discourage you. (Go Detroit! Right.) This discussion is best left in Texas forums so the Texas haters can overlook it.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Don't let Hudinka the unapologetic Detroit booster discourage you. (Go Detroit! Right.) This discussion is best left in Texas forums so the Texas haters can overlook it.
So true... As to the topic. Eh I dont think it will happen anytime soon. Nor would I really want it to. Austin and SA have their own things going.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 3:17 AM
Paradise

I know this has nothing to do with this topic and I have no intention to start anything (I'm seriously just asking here), but Paul, you posted a thread about San Antonio-Austin in the City Discussion section full of posters of the usual cities and many non Texans.

Plus, the posters obviously have a tiff with you and, while I think you are free to feel the way you want and appreciate your pride for San Antonio, you don't stop lighting the fire.

So my question is...

Are you really surprised by the outcome?

I'm not saying all the posters in that thread were being angels or were completely perfect in any way because I know how you feel, dude, and there were a few people in there (usual suspects) making unnecessary comments, but it was pretty obvious from the beginning that things were not going to mix well.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 3:33 AM

Yeah, he knows.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 5:26 AM

What they should do is argue with the Corridor council, former Secretary of HUD, the mayors of Both San Antonio and Austin and the 250 people at the Corridor summit discussing the topic. They act as if It is my idea. Very immature close minded people that need to chill out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio