HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Thanks Biff. I suppose it's just coming to light in the news now as it sort of ties in with the condo incentive story.

I was down on James last night and the line-ups at the parking pay stations where dozens deep. With the Fringe, Goldeyes and Les Mis going on at the same time, there were not many parking spots left to be had.
I agree. I realize that a parkade is no one's idea of an awesome development, I think it's fairly clear that this area is reaching a bit of a breaking point when it comes to parking. It has always been busy around the East Exchange on event nights, and with a growing residential population and now a hotel on the way, it's only getting busier. And the kicker is that private lots tend to fill right up on event nights... the "LOT FULL" sign is pretty common when there are events taking place. The fact that people are willing to pay for parking in large numbers tells me the demand is real.

Another point to bear in mind is that a lot of the parking capacity in the East Exchange is in the form of surface parking lots. If the goal is to make those continue disappearing as a result of new development, they will have to be at least partially replaced with some other parking spaces, and a parkade can do that.

(As a sidenote, I think that a dedicated effort by the City to get rid of unused loading zones could open up at least another 50 street parking spaces in the East Exchange. You would think it was still 1920 where teams of horses making deliveries are clogging the streets with the way there are loading zones everywhere, including in front of buildings that haven't been warehouses in 30 years.)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan