HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 6:32 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
After reading this thread, I think Winnipeg should win the title of most self-depricating city in the world.
Seriously ... it is a fun fact. If another city had the title they would be enjoying it. Here .... just a bunch pitifull haters.

Honestly I can't stand how locals piss all over Winnipeg ... and then wonder why people from out of town think poorly about it.

If you don't like ice cold drinks on hot summer days and want to piss on this parade .. just go sit in a corner and keep your grumpiness to yourself.

I for one .. want to celebrate Winnipeg's beautiful summers.... and icey cold drinks are a great part of summer living in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 6:45 PM
Capitalist

Celebrating city's Slurpee supremacy sweet for this sipperBy: Matt Preprost

One of Curtis Kopeschny's earliest childhood memories is of taking in a long, cold sip of a Slurpee.

"I was five or six, and I remember getting on my BMX bike and going down to the 7-Eleven," Kopeschny recalled.

"Back then they only had two flavours -- like Coke or Sprite -- and it was a big deal to get them mixed, because the machines were behind the counter. The employee would just roll his eyes," he said.

Winnipeg was crowned Slurpee Capital of the World for the 10th year in a row on Friday. Mayor Sam Katz was presented with an honorary Slurpee Cup trophy and a commemorative plaque dubbing the province "Slurpeetoba."

That saccharine moment in Kopeschny's early childhood sparked a love affair that continues to this day. Kopeschny fills up his 1.5-litre mug each day, like a habit that's hard to break.

"It's my one vice," he said, adding he doesn't drink or smoke. "Some people like ice cream, some like chocolate cake. Me, I have my Slurpee."

In 2005, Kopeschny fully declared his love by getting "Slurpee" as a customized license plate for his car.

"I couldn't believe it was available," he laughed.

Kopeschny said his plate has gained good reactions from Winnipeggers.

"I'll look in my rear-view mirror and see people (in the car) behind me pulling out their camera phones, laughing and taking pictures. It's something for them to show to their friends."

Kopeschny's insatiable love for the sugary drink prompted his friend Craig Holigroski to start a Facebook campaign to pressure 7-Eleven to name Kopeschny an honourary Slurpee spokesman for the city.

Holigroski can't remember if Kopeschny had a Slurpee in hand when they first met in 2002, but says with certainty that Kopeschny has had one glued in his hand ever since.

"He's just one of those out-there guys," Holigroski said. "That's always been his thing."

To celebrate Winnipeg's decade of unsurpassed Slurpee supremacy, 7-Eleven stores across the city will giving out more than 40,000 free Slurpees today.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 6:51 PM
Capitalist

Its great to see someone having fun with this title .. and enjoying life.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 9:36 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post

Its great to see someone having fun with this title .. and enjoying life.
He better..

He's going to shave 10 years off his life if continues drinking mugs of sugar.

Although, this type of slurpee doesn't sound so bad.

From the Urban Dictionary..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
1. purple slurpee
A blowjob. Also referred to as a hammy on occasions.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 10:53 PM
Starring as himself

One of my seared-in mental images of Winnipeg, right up with the Golden Boy, the Great-West Life Wise Men and the sign on the Driftwood Apartments, is that of a dirty, crushed Slurpee cup blocking a stormwater drain alongside a crumbling curb halfheartedly holding back a crabgrassed boulevard.

Just the thought puts me back outside the St. Michael's Road "Sev", circa 1976.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Those are even worse for you.
Let's see the facts.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 12:05 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

*sigh*

Some people just don't know how to have fun.

Then again, one would argue that a person's definition of "fun" is another person's definition of "death."

Go figure.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 1:15 AM
I am a typical

Code:
500mL serving:   SLURPEE  OJ CC  OJ Rs
Calories           222.0  487.0  310.0
 From fat            0.0  112.0   63.0
Protein (g)          0.0   15.0    3.0
Fat (g)              0.0   12.5    7.0
 Saturated (g)       0.0    8.7    7.0
 Trans (g)           0.0    0.0    0.0
Carbohydrates (g)   56.0   86.2   59.0
 Sugar (g)          52.0   77.5   48.0
 Fibre (g)           0.0    1.2    2.0
Sodium (mg)          6.0  263.0   80.0
Caffeine (mg)       50.0    0.0    0.0
Vitamin A (%)        0.0    0.0   10.0
Vitamin C (%)        0.0    4.0   60.0
Calcium   (%)        0.0   40.0   25.0
Iron      (%)        0.0    2.0   45.0

OJ CC: Orange Julius Cool Cappuccino
OJ Rs: Orange Julius Raspberry
Use your discretion. Before doing this I guess that the Slurpee would have at least 300 calories in 500mL, and that the Orange Julius products would be healthier. I have to admit, I'm surprised by what I found. The Orange Julius beverages are astonishingly high in fat (especially saturated fat) and sodium for a "healthier" product. (The cappuccino one actually has more fat than a serving of potato chips!) They're not empty calories like the Slurpee, but what they're filled with isn't exactly "wholesome", and if you're just counting calories, the Slurpee is far better. Cheaper, too. If you want 60% of your daily vitamin C, have an orange.

Personally, I would suggest avoiding both. There is a small shop at our mall that makes smoothies with just fruit, crushed ice and a bit of skim milk. Get that instead.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 2:33 AM

I'll take my 15g of protein any day over a tall cup of pure sugar water.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 5:54 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
[CODE]There is a small shop at our mall that makes smoothies with just fruit, crushed ice and a bit of skim milk. Get that instead.
next time you are there, ask them for their nutritional information...i think it will surprise you...that fruit drink probably has a lot more fat and calories than a slurpee does.

500ml of skim milk is 180 calories
500ml of 2% milk is 245 calories + 10g of fat (similar to a mcdonald's hamburger)
1 banana has 110 calories

obviously there are other reasons to drink milk, but pretty amazing that a glass of milk has the same calories or more than an equivalent serving of slurpee.

it makes me laugh when i see people downtown buying booster juice and then drinking it with their lunch....drinks like that are meal replacements not supplements...a booster juice is low fat, but has 400-500 calories per serving....

Last edited by trueviking; Jul 25, 2009 at 6:22 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2009, 7:56 AM
I am a typical

Looking past calories though, the fruit smoothie is far more nutritious than the Slurpee or "fruit" "smoothie" from Orange Julius.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 3:23 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Looking past calories though, the fruit smoothie is far more nutritious than the Slurpee or "fruit" "smoothie" from Orange Julius.
The only nutrition is coming from the cup and a half of milk in the Orange Julius.

It is basically a Slurpee blended with a glass of milk.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 10:14 PM

There is real fruit and protein in every Orange Julius. Case closed. I wish we were Orange Julius capital of the world.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 4:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

for some reason i just read the tittle as winnipeg - spruce capital of the world

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 5:23 AM

Winnipeg also holds the record for the most elm trees in N.A, possibly the world. But that number might be lost in the future due to vandalism and D.E.D

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 8:11 AM
I am a typical

How long has Dutch Elm Disease been on the verge of wiping out every elm tree anyway?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 4:21 PM

The first reported case of dutch elm in manitoba was in 1975 after travelling from the east. It was introduced to Canada during WWII in the province of Ontario.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 3:52 AM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

I'm sorry, but I have to be on the slurpees side on this one, all they are is a cool refreshing pop drink, not much different from sunny d, sprite, or some other drinks. I'm sure there is not a strong connection between these two things, like everything else they are fine in moderation... ( I am not a hardcore fan in anyway btw, I dont drink them every day either)

I also happen to think it is in fact a neat title for a fine city such as winnipeg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smron View Post
There is real fruit and protein in every Orange Julius. Case closed. I wish we were Orange Julius capital of the world.

those things are a meal, lol, btw

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 4:11 AM

Fringe Festival Attendance

Last week I heard that Winnipeg had the largest paid attendance for any Fringe festival in North America this year which was great...but hold the presses!!!...Edmonton's Fringe festival has just ended tonight and they just announced in the news that over 90,000+ tickets were sold so Edmonton's Fringe festival record still stands.

Good results for both cities...I think the recession has lots to do with the higher ticket sales in both cities...more people staying at home and enjoying the local festivals

Old Posted Aug 24, 2009, 12:27 PM
WPG - OTT - MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEinEDMONTON View Post
Fringe Festival Attendance

Last week I heard that Winnipeg had the largest paid attendance for any Fringe festival in North America this year which was great...but hold the presses!!!...Edmonton's Fringe festival has just ended tonight and they just announced in the news that over 90,000+ tickets were sold so Edmonton's Fringe festival record still stands.

Good results for both cities...I think the recession has lots to do with the higher ticket sales in both cities...more people staying at home and enjoying the local festivals
Good to hear for Edmonton! The Fringe in Winnipeg just keeps getting better and better every year but I may also have to make it out to Edmonton to compare. However, back to the topic of the Slurpee Capital!

Personally, I am proud to live in the Slurpee Capital of the World! A fun title such as "The Slurpee Capital of the World" should be lauded and enjoyed just as it is meant to be. After all, that is the reason 7-Eleven hypes up our title as the Slurpee Kings every year. If this title for some reason makes you miserable, jealous, or frustrated then you might just need to learn to let other people have their moments of pleasure instead of feeling the need to make them feel inferior just so you get attention.

Also, I think that before anybody aims to make Winnipeg the "Orange Julius Capital" that the chain Orange Julius should be required to open at least ONE stand-alone location in the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan