HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Sky City in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Changsha Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 1:58 PM
FriskyDingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
Dubai:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai
Take away the foreign construction workers in Dubai and the population would be much smaller.

Changsha:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changsha

Changsha , China photo

These are in no way similar areas. Give it up already. Skyscrapers were created as a solution for density. Look at the area this is being built in. THERE IS NONE!!!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28%C2...ed=0CAoQ_AUoAg

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=burj+...ed=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 5:02 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Um, the one link sent me to the core of Manilla, while the other sent me to Dubai (which looks even emptier than I thought it was).

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
These are in no way similar areas. Give it up already. Skyscrapers were created as a solution for density. Look at the area this is being built in. THERE IS NONE!!!

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28%C2...ed=0CAoQ_AUoAg

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=burj+...ed=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Eerie Photos Show The Strange Emptiness Of Dubai
http://www.fastcoexist.com/1682320/e...iness-of-dubai

http://www.matthias-heiderich.de/147...15/gallery/uae

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 7:49 PM

Maybe it's just me and my enthusiasm for this project... but honestly, I really don't get what the naysayers "don't get" about this building's size, it's purpose and it's location. This building isn't meant to be any old mixed-use skyscraper in some typically skyscraper dense urban city...

This megastructure IS the City!!

Inside will be all the things you would want to find in city of 30,000 or so residents... businesses, retail shops and grocery stores; hospitals and clinics; arts and entertainment; green spaces, parks and gardens; schools and higher learning centers... etc, etc, etc.... AND the homes of those 30,000 or so residents!

Most likely the small community surrounding it will continue to thrive and probably see growth as it becomes the support structure for the Sky City that will become it's core.

I really believe we have to broaden our perspective about what this building really is. It's not just a skyscraper... it's not even just a supertall. This is a whole new concept in how and where people live, work, play, and exist. And even if it's not a "new concept" (Tokyo's Sky City 1000?)... it is certainly and now undeniable the first attempt to realize such a grand experiment.

Let it stand alone in a field. It's supposed to! Embrace the idea of the world's first self contained city-in-a-building... and just let it be what it's supposed to be.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2013, 3:30 PM

Well said, Phat Stanley.

This mega-building, if and when constructed, will change the game.
Unlike Burj Khalifa, wich has its highest occupied floor at 580m, this will be occupied at 727m high, and may feature a public observatory on its roof, wich ridicularizes Burj Khalifa's 450m observatory...
No spires or antennas to artificially boast height, this would be the real thing!

It looks like an evolution of the Willis Tower.

Can't wait for it to happen, so they finally remove the Burj Khalifa off the top.
250m in spires and "service areas"?!? Yeahh, right...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Stanley View Post
I really don't get what the naysayers "don't get" about this building's size
-
Because in all likelihood it will be an economic failure. These types of empty projects (and even empty cities) are hurting the Chinese economy, and we haven't even begun to see the full effect yet.

I understand that some people are biased against China, and perhaps even a little jealous of the skyscrapers they're building. Me, I just think these kinds of investments are dangerous.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 6:49 AM
SMH 304

Talking Status of sky city

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 1:22 AM

Anybody have any new news here?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 5:43 PM

[LINK] curbed.com - Here Now, Shots of Sky City Tower's Construction Test Run

While construction on China's Sky City Tower, the 220-story skyscraper that promises to be the world's next tallest building, screeched to a halt 10 days after breaking ground—officially kiboshing its pact to build Sky City in a breakneck 210 days—the developers, Broad Sustainable Building (BSB) have gone ahead and built a slice of the tower "to test and refine the design," writes Tree Hugger. Pictured below: a full-scale replica of what will be floors 165-173. "If they are going to build it 24 times as high they have to get it right."

Last month, in an interview with the Times, the chairman of Broad Sustainable Building said the government hold was "because of all the concern in the media and on the Internet, the government is a little wary and has slowed down the process." However, the Urban Planning Department of Changsha, China say a paperwork mishap was to blame, telling CNN in July that BSB had secured permits to obtain 22 acres of land, "but that's it." In any case, the developers now say construction will wrap in June or July of next year—never mind the fact that construction was supposed to begin in November 2012 and finish up by March 2013. Anyway, photos are below.

Source

Source

Source

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 6:16 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

It's not half bad as a midrise.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 6:34 PM

True. And I didn't expect open spaces like that...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
[LINK] curbed.com - Here Now, Shots of Sky City Tower's Construction Test Run

...officially kiboshing its pact to build Sky City in a breakneck 210 days...

...In any case, the developers now say construction will wrap in June or July of next year.

With the timeline noted above they will need to have construction started in December or January if they still plan on the 210 day build. If they are going for a longer build time then the June or July completion is impossible.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
I don't know who labeled this set of pictures about Dubai being lifeless. The photographer who made this set of pics never shows life in his work. It's what he does. He's not commenting about Dubai's lack of life. He's showing the architecture of Dubai. He's done the same for Berlin, Madrid, Amsterdam, Hamburg and so on. None have people. Whoever said Dubai was like this has never been to Dubai clearly. It's an active thriving modern urban city like any other.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 6:11 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Broad is building a 100 story building now, although it is not going up at the blistering pace of the earlier builds.

Jan 4

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...1&postcount=61

Jan 25

6-5

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 6:29 PM
ARTchitecture

So has Sky City been scaled down to 100 floors? Or that is a completely different project? Very cool construction technique nonetheless!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
... although it is not going up at the blistering pace of the earlier builds.
With 8 cranes??? This thing will take off like a damn rocket!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
So has Sky City been scaled down to 100 floors? Or that is a completely different project? Very cool construction technique nonetheless!
Must be another project as I have seen pictures of the site and there were no buildings around the site but single and two storey buildings, and mostly fields.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 2:06 AM

Broad Group CEO Zhang Adamant that 200 story Skycity skyscraper will be built in 2014

http://nextbigfuture.com/2014/02/bro...-that-200.html

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
With 8 cranes??? This thing will take off like a damn rocket!
I see bits and pieces of at least three additional cranes going up. This is not a building project but a crane assembly project...

Old Posted Feb 27, 2014, 5:18 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive