HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 4:37 PM

The second floor of the RBCC has been heavily reworked over recent years and it actually fairly new for the most part. The big pieces missing from that render would be the glass windows on the second floor at Carlton and St Marys, the second floor restaurant (unlikely) the skywalk to the Sutton Place hotel (future), an exterior retouch (likely cancelled based on the treatment of the expansion) and some redone exterior signs.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 4:42 PM

^This is true. I guess I was expecting a full on reno of all floors. Like replacing all the main floor granite tiles, etc, etc.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 1:43 AM

Was at a convention here this weekend. Pretty good facility with only a few drawbacks. The large new upper hall weren't being used as trade show floors as I imagine would be normal, but mostly theatre seating. The number of people moving around the centre meant there wasn't enough capacity in the pre-function space, or on the stair case and escalators. The sky walk between the two portions was also a bit too small - at least when it is full of tables for the cafeteria like fast food place.

Nice place all in all!

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 2:21 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
^This is true. I guess I was expecting a full on reno of all floors. Like replacing all the main floor granite tiles, etc, etc.
There are plans to replace all of the 70's style green granite and brass look fixtures.....it all comes down to money. Right now they have none, so it will have to wait.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There are plans to replace all of the 70's style green granite and brass look fixtures.....it all comes down to money. Right now they have none, so it will have to wait.
That green stuff was put in 20 years ago, maybe...IIRC it was real 70s style Brown/Tan-Everything before that.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 9:06 PM

Maybe I am missing the specific areas people think should be upgraded. The second floor has almost been completely overhauled. Gone are the shops, the movie theater, the Select A Seat box office and just about all traces of its past.

The third floor is heavily dominated by the trade show floor space which by nature is a pretty blank canvas.

The first floor seems to have mostly been overhauled too. The banks of payphones on the east side hall are gone and the light fixtures in the main hall seem fairly modern.

Overall, outside of the current expansion the Convention Center has done a pretty good job with smaller scale updates over the years.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 2:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Basically the areas for upgrades are the far north end of the second floor near the skywalk connection to the Delta, the main floor common areas, grand stairway and escalators in the old building. You are right about the 2nd floor area and the banquet/meeting rooms. They have all been recently renovated. It's the green marble floors and all the brass/gold fixtures that need replacing.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 2:48 PM

Ya that's all I was getting at. I tend to enter exit the convention centre via Skywalk at the north end. So the green and brass stuff.

Also, is the expansion 100% completed. 100 100%. Just curious if there's still finishing work being completed in the back areas that no body sees.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 3:34 PM

It likely is worth noting that the north area near the skywalk is one of the areas from the concept that remained unchanged. That said there is a plan for a future skywalk from that exact area to Sutton Place so it is quite possible changes there are still coming.

In terms of the main entrance area in the old building, I would guess it will be undertaken in smaller stages in between big events. The convention center as a whole has done a pretty good job doing many smaller projects to update itself over the years that mostly go under the radar. I trust that once the dust is settled on the expansion they will get back to some of the housekeeping items on the original side.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 9:40 PM

I'd like to see the blue and red paint updated on the north side, and just some of the signage around that part of the building looks to be 30 years old.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan