HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 2:07 PM

Alright seriously you people are arguing over something that is practically non-existent. YOU HAVE NO TRAFFIC PROBLEMS!!!! When you live in a city in which it takes less than an hour to cross at ANY TIME, you should be thanking whatever god it is that you follow.
Because in any other city, at certain points throughout the day you're lucky to travel 1 kilometre in an hour.

And maybe Winnipeg does have an increasing population ; but other than minor traffic jams caused by accidents there are no bottlenecks present. And don't try to mention kenastin, st. James, Henderson, or Regent because when mentioned as bad traffic, the idea is laughable. Winnipeg's average traffic would be a very, very, and I cannot stress this enough; very good day in any other major city. And like jmt, BRT will only improve traffic throughout the city.

Common guys, you travel, you must pop those ignorant bubbles and realize that spending money on an issue that is non-existant is ridiculous, especially you Jets4life "who does not feel the government should waste money on useless projects." This is not an actual quote, but somewhat along the lines of your views (though not objectable) of government spending on CMHR, I assume. So why would this be any different?

Also I have been through many cities with freeways and during a time spanning from 7-10am , 430-8pm I have yet to find one where traffic is not at a standstill, excluding toll routes of course, but even they become backed up during bad weather.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2010, 4:58 PM
ILYR

Speaking of traffic, has anyone seen the Top Gear episode where they race a runner and a car over the London marathon route during rush hour on a Tuesday morning? Well the human won by 11 minutes. Now that is bad traffic.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 3:15 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I sure wish they could have built the Inner Beltway much better, with limited access turnoffs. For instance, Bishop Grandin could have had overpasses at Waverley, River Road, Dakota, and Lagimodiere. To the East, they should build Lagimodiere right to Plessis, and completely redo Plessis, having overpasses at Bishop Grandin.

Eventually parting from Plessis to the south of Dugald, that intersection should be made into an overpass, along with Regent, Concordia, and Lagimodiere once it connects to the Chief Peguis Trail, which would have overpasses at Springfield Rd, Raleigh/Gateway, Rothesay, and Henderson Hwy.

Once it crosses over the Red River, have overpasses at Main, McPhillips, Brookside Blvd, and the Oak Point Hwy (after making a Southward bend once it connects to Sturgeon Road).

On the West side of the Beltway, I would make overpasses at Saskatchewan, Silver, and Moray (I assume this would be the easiest way to connect to the Charleswood Bridge). From there, I would make an overpass at Roblin, Grant, and Wilkes, and guide the Highway south, until making a Eastward turn, and connecting to Kenaston (where the City of Winnipeg Snow Removal site currently stands), and making that intersection an overpass.

Of course, the city would likely never go for this, as it lacks the budget to do so, but it would make a great Transportation corridor, especially from Kenaston to the Airport.
I agree with you and as the city draws towards a million people we will see some of these ideas come to being. I sure wouldn't want to see Winnipeg ignore its growth until its roads reach overcapacity, as happened in Calgary.

In the coming years we will see some much needed improvement in traffic flow through upgrades of current roads and development of new expressways.

One roadway I look forward to seeing is the completion of Silver Ave from Stergon. The city has held onto ther land for decades for this purpose and it will see its completion as Centre Port is developed, linking the terminal side to Centre Port Way.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 7:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post

Common guys, you travel, you must pop those ignorant bubbles and realize that spending money on an issue that is non-existant is ridiculous, especially you Jets4life "who does not feel the government should waste money on useless projects." This is not an actual quote, but somewhat along the lines of your views (though not objectable) of government spending on CMHR, I assume. So why would this be any different?
Centreport will create jobs and fuel the economy. It will increase Winnipeg's profile among businesses and others who are comtemplating a relocation to our city. Centreport can only be a good thing for Winnipeg.

The Human Rights Museum is an example of political correctiveness gone too far. It will divide people, not unite them. The truth is nobody outside the CMHR staff knows what the Museum will consist of only adds to the belief that the Museum will be slanted in it's views of Human Rights abuses around the world.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 8:10 PM

Quote:
The Human Rights Museum is an example of political correctiveness gone too far. It will divide people, not unite them. The truth is nobody outside the CMHR staff knows what the Museum will consist of only adds to the belief that the Museum will be slanted in it's views of Human Rights abuses around the world.
The truth? Whose truth? This museum is not even open yet and still you insist on slagging the content. The museum curators are traveling Canada speaking to Canadians about what the Museum should contain/include.

Have you written to the museum and asked them how you can get involved to ensure your views will be considered?

Divide people indeed. Deep sigh.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 8:12 PM

Centreport and the CMHR are two so very different initiatives it's ludicrous to even consider comparing them IMHO.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 9:07 PM

Actually it is good to compare them.

The good thing coming to Winnipeg: Centre Port

The Bad thing coming to Winnipeg: CMFJR

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduy View Post
CMFJR
Ummm, really. This is really what you want to post? Have fun explaining this.

It's posts like this that anger me so.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 9:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the idea of the museum is to make us talk about the issues though and so its allready succeeding

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 11:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Have you written to the museum and asked them how you can get involved to ensure your views will be considered?
As a matter of fact, I have. Twice. I have yet to receive a response. However, I don't want to veer off topic, so let's get back to the talk of the lack of a modern Freeway in Winnipeg

Last edited by Jets4Life; Jan 9, 2010 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Centreport and the CMHR are two so very different initiatives it's ludicrous to even consider comparing them IMHO.
I agree, however my hand was forced by ChrisAllard5454. However I will not let some mediocre guitar player let this turn into another CMHR debate. There is a thread already dedicated to that debate. '

Last edited by Jets4Life; Jan 9, 2010 at 11:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 11:44 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what so modern about a freeway?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 1:30 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
I agree, however my hand was forced by ChrisAllard5454. However I will not let some mediocre guitar player let this turn into another CMHR debate. There is a thread already dedicated to that debate. '
2 infact.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 1:37 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
As a matter of fact, I have. Twice. I have yet to receive a response. However, I don't want to veer off topic, so let's get back to the talk of the lack of a modern Freeway in Winnipeg
I agree completely. The time has come for Winnipeg to introduce a modern free flowing roadway. In Europe there are many examples of old cities intoducing amazing modern freeways. Paris comes to mind.

Although there are amazing modern freeway systems being built in Asia as well.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 4:24 AM
Exploring the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I agree completely. The time has come for Winnipeg to introduce a modern free flowing roadway. In Europe there are many examples of old cities intoducing amazing modern freeways. Paris comes to mind.

Although there are amazing modern freeway systems being built in Asia as well.
Of course European & Asian cities are constructing freeways... as they have come to realize (along with other intelligent city planners) that the rapid and smooth movement of commercial and passenger road traffic between and within urban areas is essential for economic sustainability.
In today's world, whether we like it or not EVERYTHING we eat, wear,use and purchase has been delivered by truck! Its reality. I'm all for transit systems, but transit systems don't deliver freight. And people still love their cars. Its reality.

Sure, you can say Winnipeg gets by with no freeways, but if you think that fact hasn't cost that city growth, jobs, & a better image you're mistaken. Talk to any truck driver that goes through there & you'll get the goods.
I can say from travelling through there by all 3 methods- plane, train, road, that one does not get the impression of a big progressive city. You leave the airport and are immediately in the mix of slow-moving streets...and likewise when driving in past Perimeter Highway its down to stop & go. The Via Rail trains seem to get in & out of the city OK.

Winnipeg has dropped from 4th largest Canadian metro to 9th largest in the last 25 years or so...and you can't say the archaic roadways have not contributed to it. Smaller cities like Regina & Saskatoon have developed some freeways and have PLANS for the future. Even much poorer, smaller Maritime cities like Halifax, St. John's NL, etc. have some freeways. So saying its a matter of not enough money is just a poor excuse for very bad & lack of planning.

When Alberta experienced oil price crashes such as early 90's, overpass construction slowed down dramatically compared to now but there was STILL the odd bridge built here & there during the tough times because the plans were in place for the Yellowhead Trail, Whitemud Freeway etc. Winnipeg seems to have very little planning.

I guess the people there have gotten so used to having a roadway system from the 1950's there is little reason for them to lobby politicians for change.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pausgree View Post
Sure, you can say Winnipeg gets by with no freeways, but if you think that fact hasn't cost that city growth, jobs, & a better image you're mistaken. Talk to any truck driver that goes through there & you'll get the goods.
How does a city like Vancouver prosper, without any freeways intersecting it?
What about a city like Toronto, which has been comtemplating removing the Gardiner for years (and has already removed a significant portion of it). During rush hour it's often just as fast to take major routes with lights rather than the standstill 401 or the Don Valley Parkway...

Quote:
Winnipeg has dropped from 4th largest Canadian metro to 9th largest in the last 25 years or so...and you can't say the archaic roadways have not contributed to it. Smaller cities like Regina & Saskatoon have developed some freeways and have PLANS for the future. Even much poorer, smaller Maritime cities like Halifax, St. John's NL, etc. have some freeways. So saying its a matter of not enough money is just a poor excuse for very bad & lack of planning.
It's been more than 25 years since we were 4th, but to suggest that roadways played a part is pretty far-fetched. There are tonnes of other factors that led to stagnant growth, and I doubt that "achaic roadways" played a major roll... Speaking of planning for the future, what are cities with overburdening freeway networks planning to do when the time comes to repair/maintain them? In thirty years, how are cities like Calgary going to cope with an enormous infrastructure deficit?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 9:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
2 infact.
well one is about the CHMR construction, which I don't post in, since that would just be trolling. However, the larger thread about the CMHR is mainly a debate thread.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 10:06 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
In thirty years, how are cities like Calgary going to cope with an enormous infrastructure deficit?
Unlike the masses of low capacity roadways forced to carry masses of traffic in Winnipeg??? The crumbling roadways in Winnipeg are partially the result of overcapacity. I don't see the enormous infrastructure deficit in Winnipeg being fixed with inadequate roadways.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 10:16 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Of course European & Asian cities are constructing freeways... as they have come to realize (along with other intelligent city planners) that the rapid and smooth movement of commercial and passenger road traffic between and within urban areas is essential for economic sustainability.
In today's world, whether we like it or not EVERYTHING we eat, wear,use and purchase has been delivered by truck! Its reality. I'm all for transit systems, but transit systems don't deliver freight. And people still love their cars. Its reality.

I can say from travelling through there by all 3 methods- plane, train, road, that one does not get the impression of a big progressive city. You leave the airport and are immediately in the mix of slow-moving streets...and likewise when driving in past Perimeter Highway its down to stop & go. The Via Rail trains seem to get in & out of the city OK.

When Alberta experienced oil price crashes such as early 90's, overpass construction slowed down dramatically compared to now but there was STILL the odd bridge built here & there during the tough times because the plans were in place for the Yellowhead Trail, Whitemud Freeway etc. Winnipeg seems to have very little planning.

I guess the people there have gotten so used to having a roadway system from the 1950's there is little reason for them to lobby politicians for change.
I think Winnipeg has finally begun to realize the importance of efficient roadways as it relates to commerce. As the city and province have now begun to focus turning Winnipeg into a modern transportion hub, this will begin to improve, but it has a long way to go. Rome wasn't built in a day, but it still has a modern roadway system. I am looking forward to the announced improvements coming to Winnipeg and area, including the new interchange at Bishop and Kenniston and Centre Port Expressway.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 9:12 PM

I too am looking forward to Winnipeg's future plans on the roadways and the transportation. How would a different mayer be different? Is it because Sam Katz wants traffic lights and at grade intersections? What if we had a mayer like one of san diego for the past 15 years. By now would we have proper roadways/freeways?

Im curious to the answer of my question, ty,

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan