HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 5:35 PM
I Rise Again

Perfect!! I've been tracking this and waiting for this for so long, since the early 2000's. It's about time it's been cleaned up. It'll help out so much by removing the bottleneck and the silt that is removed from the river will now flow more downstream rather than settling upstream where the lake used to be. Next will be to secure funding for the wastewater treatment plant for the 2020 deadline. I'm certain that government will come forth will funding for that as well to meet the deadline in the future.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 9:41 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
Perfect!! I've been tracking this and waiting for this for so long, since the early 2000's. It's about time it's been cleaned up. It'll help out so much by removing the bottleneck and the silt that is removed from the river will now flow more downstream rather than settling upstream where the lake used to be. Next will be to secure funding for the wastewater treatment plant for the 2020 deadline. I'm certain that government will come forth will funding for that as well to meet the deadline in the future.
I certainly hope this is true, but I am not holding my breath, we have been hearing bout this for a while now.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
According to the T&T, at an (unrelated) funding announcement in Sackville yesterday, federal government house leader Dominic LeBlanc stated that they were very close to finalizing a federal contribution to replacing the Petitcodiac River causeway with a bridge.

Apparently this is a pet project for Dominic. He feels a bridge replacement is more important to the overall river ecosystem than upgrading the wastewater sewage treatment plant in the city.

The article made it sound pretty clear that the days of the causeway are numbered.

Here would be the plan:

And this would be the hoped for result:

Glad the Causeway seems to be replaced with a bridge but it sucks that there saying it's one project, or the other versus both projects needing to be done...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 3:24 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Glad the Causeway seems to be replaced with a bridge but it sucks that there saying it's one project, or the other versus both projects needing to be done...
I have not found any links to any RECENT articles online on this issue other than this post. Do you have any further information or a link?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2016, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
I have not found any links to any RECENT articles online on this issue other than this post. Do you have any further information or a link?
It was in the Times & Transcript.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 9:10 PM

Land on Ayer Avenue has just been clear this past week to make way for a new semi detached the Property is a Habitat for Humanity project addresses are 24 – 26 Ayer Avenue, Moncton, NB. Also like to Point out Ground breaking for this new project will be tomorrow: Monday May 2 10 AM if anyone wants to go. All the info plus the plans for the semi can be found here: https://www.habitatmoncton.com/build...y/#lightbox/0/

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 8:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from the City of Moncton website:

Moncton has strongest start to building permits since 2011
May 5, 2016

MONCTON – Moncton’s first quarter results are setting a positive pace for development in 2016, particularly with commercial projects. The year-to-date value of permits for the period ending March 31st came in at $42 million, up from just $9.1 million during the same period in 2015. The total number of permits for March alone was 66, nearly double the 34 that were issued in the same month last year.

“Moncton continues to be a great place to invest and build,” commented Mayor George LeBlanc. “We are pleased to see a good deal of this planned work coming to fruition with much more to come throughout the building season.”

Commercial building permits led the way for a combined total of $28.6 million of projects in the first quarter of 2016. Institutional permits accounted for $10.5 million, or 25 per cent, of the quarter’s activity, with the largest portion coming from the Shannex special care facility project located on the campus of l’Université de Moncton. Residential permit values for the quarter came in at $2.5 million, down slightly from last year’s $3 million.

“It’s great to have a strong start on the commercial side,” said Kevin Silliker, Director of Economic Development. “To have the private sector investing so much in our community speaks volumes of the incredible opportunities that exist here. Our team continues to actively seek out new business prospects with both local and foreign investors and entrepreneurs.”

On top of the $16.5 million foundation permit issued for Phase 1 of the Downtown Centre, commercial activity accounted for another $12.2 million. Some of the large projects include $2 million in renovations at the Delta Beauséjour, interior fit-ups at the new RBC Advice Centre worth $2.7 million, a new $1.7 million NB Liquor store on Elmwood Drive, and $500,000 in fit-ups for the new Giant Tiger store at 165 Main Street. Commercial permits from the first quarter alone represented nearly two-thirds of the commercial activity throughout all of 2015.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 3:38 PM

Since today is Election Day, who does everyone think will be the next Mayor of Moncton and if you want to post why.

I for one would want to see Dawn Arnold become the next mayor I feel like she just had that spark and vision to make the city a better place, her love for the Arts, nature and architectural eye would be great for the city, I think we could see a lot more events, parks and nicer approved architecture in the city.

As for Hicks, I think he would make an okay mayor, but his constant questioning of every project, just makes me fear nothing would get done. I could be wrong, but I feel like Hicks is just best fit in a position as a councillor, the city needs someone with vision and I just don't see it being Mr. Hicks.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 5:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I believe Dawn would be the superior mayor. She has the "vision thing", is bubbly, effusive and likeable, and would do a very good job as being the public face and persona for the city. Her skills and talents will serve the city well, particularly at this point in the city's history where the potential of the city is being unlocked. We want to maintain our momentum.

Brian Hicks is an honourable man, and would also be a good choice for mayor, but he comes across as an accountant, and there is no question his main concern is the civic tax rate. This is important, and he has served an important role in past city councils as the fiscal conscience of the city. I wish him well, but I would rather that he had run again for a council seat. His voice on city council will be missed........

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 1:17 AM

Congratulations to Dawn Arnold for becoming the new Mayor of Moncton!

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 1:24 AM

Congratulations to Dawn Arnold. Good job Monctonians on an excellent choice!

Here in Dieppe, it wasn't much of a race at all. The best candidate, in my opinion, came up on top; Yvon Lapierre.

Last edited by NBNYer; May 10, 2016 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 1:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Final results in the Moncton civic election:

Brian Hicks put up a surprisingly vigorous fight. I voted for Dawn, but Brian is an honourable man. Congratulations to him as well.

As for city council, I would say that it looks to be an effective mixture of quality returning and newly elected candidates. I am encouraged by the results.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 8:11 PM

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/10012560?

Posting this link.... I have a feeling they are way off on cost of living for Moncton... It says the average house cost is more than Halifax and almost the same as Montreal, that can not be true... Shows that Moncton is the most expensive city east of Quebec and second most expensive outside of Ontario.... Mentions the average house cost is $323,000

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post

Posting this link.... I have a feeling they are way off on cost of living for Moncton... It says the average house cost is more than Halifax and almost the same as Montreal, that can not be true... Shows that Moncton is the most expensive city east of Quebec and second most expensive outside of Ontario.... Mentions the average house cost is $323,000
Take those numbers with a grain of salt I've been trying to keep track of home prices, especially when they build new golf communities in, and around Moncton, and I think I might have found something that might make the numbers so high. Real estate agents who are selling properties as a package but instead of making 1 post with the addresses included they will make 1 post per property with the package price. So you get a lot of properties seemingly listed at half a million, or more. I think they may have taken there prices from listed prices, and not sales prices as well... A large number of properties seemingly being priced well over what they are worth make the real estate market seem more costly to an outsider, and as an insider I tend to see that the properties price will be reduced way to many times instead of one price reduction to what the properties actual worth is.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post

That is laughably inaccurate.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 12:35 PM
real estate blogger

Moncton Benchmark Prices

The questionable info-graphic is from RentSeekers.ca

The chart below, covering the City of Moncton, would be an accurate benchmark price for a detached residential dwelling:

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
properties as a package but instead of making 1 post with the addresses included they will make 1 post per property with the package price.
Hey Scarface is that for vacant lots or for properties with structures on them?

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeee View Post
Hey Scarface is that for vacant lots or for properties with structures on them?
there are package deals with properties on the lots. (ex: 23-25 Germain, 19 Germain Street, 108-110 Lewisville Road) If you are just scrolling, and don't know any information on these properties would think they are 3 properties for sale each at 524,900, and not a package deal of the 3 properties at 524,900 for all together. there where a few other package deals but Majority where either Duplexes/Semi Detached, and there listed as (Ex 1 Fake St. Instead of 1-3 fake street)Despite the 2 being sold together. Not sure if you get what I mean.

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 11:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton's new city council and mayor (Dawn Arnold).

I have fairly high expectations of this group. Hopefully they will work well together. I don't think there will be a Hicks/Bourgeois type "official opposition" this time around. We'll see how consensus politics works......

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 12:12 AM

According to multiple sources, one of the top six banks is planning to open a call-center in Moncton. One line of business of that very bank has a major operation in Saint John.

Moncton was apparently chosen as opposed as to Saint John due to the bilingual workforce. (it should come as no surprise)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces