HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
An actual apartment for rent in St. Louis:

https://www.stltoday.com/business/lo...ampaign=LEEDCC
Reminds me of this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15puo-dSEIY

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 12:22 AM

From stove to stomach to toilet in 3 easy steps.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
From stove to stomach to toilet in 3 easy steps.
But other than that convenience factor...I'm just not seeing the appeal.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Consider this then....if you burned dinner, you could cover up the smell with a pooper, and if you did a pooper, you could cover that up with something cooking on the stove. I'm considering adding a toilet to my kitchen. However, I think the bathtub is a bit much. That's where I draw the line. My question is this...did they add the kitchen to the bathroom, or the bathroom to the kitchen? Either way, its freakin GENEUS!! Imagine the look on the faces of your dinner guests when you excuse yourself from the dinner table, walk a few steps to the potty and commence making room for desert. No more missed conversations or downtime during games around the table waiting for someone to finish up in the separate bathroom. Sure, maybe someone will have to roll the dice for you, but you wouldn't be slowing down the game. Of course it would be totally rude not waiting for everyone to get done eating before you "go". If there is a mental health professional on the forum, I could probably use one about now...

Last edited by the Genral; Sep 4, 2018 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:05 AM
Meh

Quote:

A certain forum member on SkyscraperPage would say that's multi-tasking.

Quote:
Thanksgiving with the family must be fun.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:34 AM
World Traveler

Man, if only my wife would let me, I could do some pretty cool renovations to our kitchen. The morning routine would be a lot faster...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:55 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:

Feng Shui at its finest.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 4:21 AM

From a plumbing perspective, that apartment is a very efficient design.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 5:39 AM
Meh

I was thinking of Burt Reynolds and remembered that we saw Loni Anderson filming a movie at the Amtrak station in Austin in 1995 one night. It was 2 years after she and Burt Reynolds divorced. Anyway, my brother and I and our dad and his friend would go down to the train station about every other weekend and sit and watch trains and talk. That night, we went and they were filming the movie.

If you scroll to about 5:09 you can see the Amtrak station.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:37 PM

Hey guys, does either The Republic or the Block 185 project have a page yet?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGuy View Post
Hey guys, does either The Republic or the Block 185 project have a page yet?
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=187298
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216703

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 4:47 PM

Thanks a bunch, I couldn't find either one of those. My "search for thread" skills are terrible!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 8:41 PM
Meh

One trick is to use the thread sorting links at the top of the forum index. If you click on "Thread" it will alphabetize all the threads. If you click on "Thread Starter" it lists all threads by who posted them (their names in alphabetical order).

The individual building threads are prefaced with 'Austin' - so when you use the "Thread" sorting method, search the A threads to find the one you're looking for.

To make it easier while searching, you can also jump to different pages that the search result returned. So, if you're looking for Austin in the beginning of the 'A' section, jump to page 5 since that's where the first building threads show up.

You can also use Google to search. Sometimes when I haven't been able to find a thread, I would just go to Google and type "The Republic Austin" or "The Republic Skyscraperpage" and Google would find its thread page, both in the Austin section and the main global thread in the main construction section.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:27 PM

Is there a dedicated thread for the boutique hotel on W 6th? It's the 600 block, 6 floors, underground parking. I have some pictures if that's the case.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
Is there a dedicated thread for the boutique hotel on W 6th? It's the 600 block, 6 floors, underground parking. I have some pictures if that's the case.
Yes, the Canopy by Hilton thread covers the hotel going up on that block.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 2:22 AM

I have been somewhat neutral on the dockless scooter situation downtown until this morning. During morning rush hour on Cesar Chavez near Congress, the vehicle in front of me suddenly stopped and blocked traffic. The two occupants got out of the vehicle and began picking up scooters on the nearby sidewalk and replacing them with ones they removed from their vehicle. The scooters obviously need to be recharged on a regular basis, but it could easily be done in the middle of the night and not by double parking or blocking lanes on busy thoroughfares during rush hour.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 3:59 AM
Meh

^Yeah, they're kind of a nuisance. I was waiting to cross the street at the Torchy's Tacos on South Congress standing on the sidewalk, and two guys on scooters came racing down the sidewalk around me and rode through the "do not cross" light. I'm ok with alternative modes of transportation, but I just don't think they've found their niche yet. Should they be in the bike lane or on the sidewalk, where to put them, etc. I think should be in the bike lane, provided they aren't too slow to keep up the pace. But they're definitely too fast on the sidewalk. I don't like riding a bike on the sidewalk. Riding a scooter would scare the hell out of me.

Anyway, speaking of bicycles, I rode mine up to my HEB tonight, and I frequently see other bikes locked up outside. I like to stop and talk bikes with people whenever I see a unique one. Now, I had seen this bike before at the store and had even seen the guy riding it. Tonight, though, I had a chance to say hello. His is a GT, I didn't catch what model, but he's got all custom the way he wants it with ape hanger bars, fenders and he painted it a lighter color to make it more visible at night. He was less of a bike nut then I was expecting. He just uses it to get around. He was telling me about his Youtube channel. He's a street performer around Austin.

Video Link
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^Yeah, they're kind of a nuisance. I was waiting to cross the street at the Torchy's Tacos on South Congress standing on the sidewalk, and two guys on scooters came racing down the sidewalk around me and rode through the "do not cross" light. I'm ok with alternative modes of transportation, but I just don't think they've found their niche yet. Should they be in the bike lane or on the sidewalk, where to put them, etc. I think should be in the bike lane, provided they aren't too slow to keep up the pace. But they're definitely too fast on the sidewalk. I don't like riding a bike on the sidewalk. Riding a scooter would scare the hell out of me.

Anyway, speaking of bicycles, I rode mine up to my HEB tonight, and I frequently see other bikes locked up outside. I like to stop and talk bikes with people whenever I see a unique one. Now, I had seen this bike before at the store and had even seen the guy riding it. Tonight, though, I had a chance to say hello. His is a GT, I didn't catch what model, but he's got all custom the way he wants it with ape hanger bars, fenders and he painted it a lighter color to make it more visible at night. He was less of a bike nut then I was expecting. He just uses it to get around. He was telling me about his Youtube channel. He's a street performer around Austin.

Video Link
Video Link
Ha! I saw him outside of Starbucks at 3rd and Lavaca just yesterday!

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Oops: Paul McCartney kicks off encore waving Chilean flag
https://www.austin360.com/news/20181...g-chilean-flag

Old Posted Oct 16, 2018, 1:30 AM

Money Magazine has released a list of Sears Stores which will be closed by the end of the year. Both remaining Sears in Austin are on that list, 41st St. and Barton Creek Square.
They will be joining the demise of the other two that already closed, Tech Ridge and Lakeline, although I'm not 100% sure Lakeline is completely shut down yet. My only attachment is that I worked for Sears Lakeline for about a year. I left after one year because their customer service and support was horrible. The arrogance amongst the management was that Sears would never close because neysayers have been talking about their demise for a dozen years and we're still going strong. Classic denial. Regardless of my less than stellar opinion of Sears as a former employee, I hate to see the potential end of this one time giant in retail. I felt a sense of loss when the same thing happened to Montgomery Wards a while back. I spent many hours looking through the hundreds of pages of their huge catalogs. When the parents took us shopping to one or the other, we knew it was pretty much going to be a one stopper, especially Sears because they sold almost everything. When I worked in Maintenance at IBM, when I bought tools for our department, I bought Craftman tools from Sears because they were inexpensive and replaced for free if ever broken. I still buy Craftman and Kenmore products because of the quality and price. I have my theories as to what helped lead Sears to this, acquisition of Kmart, big mistake, and horribly dated stores and displays, along with dozens of other reasons. But while the Tech Ridge store has already been demolished as I imagine the 41st St. one may be after it closes, the Lakeline and Barton Creek Mall will showcase a reminder of how important it is to keep up and change with the times. My heart goes out to my former co-workers I enjoyed working with who will soon be out of a job, just in time for the holidays no less. I for one am sorry to see Sears go.

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 16, 2018 at 3:18 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin