HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 10:37 PM

Post Municipal Election (September, 2013)

Mayor
Dennis O'Keefe (www.dennisokeefe.ca)
Sheilagh O'Leary (www.sheilaghformayor.ca)
Geoff Chaulk (www.geoffchaulksblog.simplesite.com)

Deputy Mayor
Ron Ellsworth (www.Ellsworth2013.com)
Jennifer McCreath (www.jennifermccreath.com)

Ward 1
Danny Breen (www.dannybreen.ca) Accalimed

Ward 2
Andrew Harvey (www.voteandrewharvey.com)
Jonathan Galgay (http://www.galgayward2.ca/)
Scott Fitzgerald (www.whynotscott.ca)

Ward 3
Bruce Tilley (www.votetilley.nlweb.ca)
Walter Harding (http://walterharding.com)
Sarah Colborne Penney (http://sarahcolbornepenney.com/)

Ward 4
Bernard Davis (http://www.bernarddavis.ca)
Lou Puddister (www.loupuddister.com)
Tracey Holmes

Ward 5
Wally Collins
Sgerwin Flight (www.sflight.ca)

Councillor At Large
Tom Baddcock
Tom Hann (www.tomhann.ca)
Sandy Hickman (www.sandyhickman.com)
Dave Lane (www.votedavelane.ca)
Lorne Loder (www.lorneloder.ca)
Steve Manual
Art Puddister (www.artpuddister.ca)
Paul Sears
Deanne Stapleton (www.DeanneStapleton.com)
Lionel West (www.westatlarge.com)
Derek Winsor (www.derekwinsor.com)
Fred Winsor (www.votefred.ca)
Cecil Whitten (www.cecilwhitten.ca)

Last edited by PoscStudent; Aug 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 10:49 PM

Wow...can't belive the election is less than a year away. I can't say I don't like Mayor O'Keefe, but I don't want to see him as mayor again. Having said that, I do like Shelaigh O'Leary, but not sure about her as mayor. I would definately like to see her take a council seat again. I would like to see Ron Ellsworth back as well and I hope Danny Breen gets re-elected. Some of these imcumbents that have been around for eons need to go in my opinion. Not that they are bad at their jobs, I just think we need some new, young and energetic people in there.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 10:59 PM

From the sounds of it right now, we could be getting a few fresh faces is council with a few of our seasoned veterans finally retiring! as J said, not that they're bad at their jobs, its just time for Some new, young, energetic faces! shannie is actually retiring? Well, she most certainly had a long career! I wish her the best in retirement.

As for O'Leary vs O'Keefe, I think I would support doc again. He seems much less biased than the one-sided O'Leary. He seems open to new developments and also keen on preserving heritage. A good mix. That being said, he is not much of a personality. He seems like a very nice man, but no charisma. Ideally, i would like to see a young, fresh face, as mayor of St. John's. someone who will realize the importance of preserving heritage, but will also work to reduce urban sprawl, increase density with new developments especially in the downtown west area, and maybe even work towards amalgamation with neighboring communities. That is why, signal must run for mayor!

Hopefully, election talk will begin soon! I would love to see a greater focus on the election next year as it is an important one. This election will greatly influence the way we grow, or don't grow, over the next four years. I am hoping for a pro-development council!

Last edited by Townie709; Mar 29, 2013 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 11:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Between O'Keefe and O'Leary, I'm really quite torn.

O'Keefe hasn't done much to piss me off in balancing development versus heritage, which is, by far, the most important issue to me. However, I am definitely more closely aligned with Sheilagh O'Leary's views as far as that is concerned.

I do wonder what she'd be like as mayor. But... to be fair, any concerns I could bring up about her could just as easily have been said about O'Keefe before he had the chance to prove he's cool-headed and won't embarrass us.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
I really don't think Ron Ellsworth will get in. He has always stricken me as very non-intellectual.. Yes, that's the nicest way to put it! To me, he is the 'Rob Ford' of St. John's!
Haha, good one. When I see Rob Ford I think think of Homer Simpson

I just don't think Ron Ellsworth really had a chance to prove himself. He should have ran for a council seat as opposed to running for mayor after such a short time. He came off to me as being a hard-working and dedicated individual, but like I said, don't think he really had the time to show off if he could make right decisions. Having said that, I don't really know much else about the man other than his portrayl in the media so I could be totally wrong. People who know him well might totally agree or disagree with me.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 11:44 PM

Last edited by Townie709; Mar 29, 2013 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 12:10 AM

I can't stand O'Leary.

I'm a big fan of Ron Ellsworth, I think he was the best candidate for mayor and wanted to bring in some change.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 12:46 AM
ハルウララ

Pulling for Hickman

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 1:10 AM

Can't say I'm a fan of O'Leary at all. To be honest, I think she'd be terrible. The city seems to be doing well under O'Keefe, a lot of construction is taking place and things are moving forward. There really is a good balance between development and heritage right now and I think it would be best to keep going with the status quo.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 1:31 AM

Sadly the mayor has little importance though. It's not like they can really implement their own agenda, they need council.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 12:03 PM

edit

Last edited by jeddy1989; Mar 18, 2013 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 12:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

You'd have my vote, for sure.

I just want to make sure we have people like Duff and O'Leary on council because the pressure for development is overpowering and we need people near the extreme end of the other side of the spectrum just to ensure a happy medium.

I believe heritage protection is not only responsible for the fact we have one of Canada's most beautiful and best-preserved old town areas today, I also give it a lot of credit for the fact we have buildings like 351 and Fortis Place as well. Heritage protection doesn't prevent developments like this, it helps encourage them.

I believe, without our strict heritage protection requirements, downtown St. John's would be FULL of Atlantic Places, full of buildings like the latest Steele hotel render. That's what developers put up in a free for all - the cheapest buildings possible. That's what they're putting up in all our "Yes, please!" suburban communities, and that's what we'd get if we bent over for development as well.

Because we don't let many modern buildings through in the downtown, developers have to put actual thought into their proposals. And I like it that way.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 12:17 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

I wish I could run for Mayor.

Given the two options, I'm very much on the O'Keefe wagon.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundlander View Post
You'd have my vote, for sure.

I just want to make sure we have people like Duff and O'Leary on council because the pressure for development is overpowering and we need people near the extreme end of the other side of the spectrum just to ensure a happy medium.

I believe heritage protection is not only responsible for the fact we have one of Canada's most beautiful and best-preserved old town areas today, I also give it a lot of credit for the fact we have buildings like 351 and Fortis Place as well. Heritage protection doesn't prevent developments like this, it helps encourage them.

I believe, without our strict heritage protection requirements, downtown St. John's would be FULL of Atlantic Places, full of buildings like the latest Steele hotel render. That's what developers put up in a free for all - the cheapest buildings possible. That's what they're putting up in all our "Yes, please!" suburban communities, and that's what we'd get if we bent over for development as well.

Because we don't let many modern buildings through in the downtown, developers have to put actual thought into their proposals. And I like it that way.
or say how about someone who understands the balance? instead of anti vs pro ... there arn't ANY extreme pro development people even on council .. so everyone should meet in the middle no need for extremists

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
or say how about someone who understands the balance? instead of anti vs pro ... there arn't ANY extreme pro development people even on council .. so everyone should meet in the middle no need for extremists
Exactly. I don't think anyone on council supports getting rid of all the heritage buildings in favour of new ones. All councillors came out against Fortis' Water Street proposal, some were just more diplomatic about it then O'Leary. I think the woman is horrible, I'd rather see Shannie on council for 30 more years then have O'Leary re-elected to any position.

With the exception of Shannie it doesn't appear that O'Leary has to many friends on council, so unless she's able to get the majority of her NDP candidates elected then we could end up with a pretty divided council with her as mayor.

My choice among councillors for mayor would be Danny Breen, every good government requires a Danny. However, I don't know if he'd have the name recognition to go for mayor, and he probably wouldn't run if O'Keefe seeks re-election and O'Leary runs against him.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I can't stand O'Leary.

I'm a big fan of Ron Ellsworth, I think he was the best candidate for mayor and wanted to bring in some change.
Same here - Ellsworth is a prominent businessman and is pro development. It'd be very interesting if he got in....

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 11:12 PM

I really think that we should raise the mayor's salary to attract more qualified candidates. Don't get me wrong, I like Doc, I think he is doing an OK job, but there are definitely more skilled people out there in the city. If we are going to attract the type of proven successful business elite professionals that understand development and economics a little better than our current counsel I'm sure the City will progress further than under the current and future leadership of retired teachers, firemen, and other similar vocation retirees.

I would like to see someone with the savvy as a Danny Williams type person be in charge at City Hall. But at $95k/year you are not going to draw out the Managerial Accountants, Engineers, Investors, Project Managers, etc that have the leadership skills that could take St. John's to the next level. Most government entities like Nalcor, Eastern Health, and MUN pay top salaries for the top positions so they get the most qualified individuals. And top people want reasonable wages. I don't think you can ever put up the type of money Nalcor does to get an Ed Martin or make Dean MacDonald close up business but I don't think you necessarily need that level of an "executive" mayor. You just need a tactful leader with the skills that put them in the mid $100s in the industry that is looking to take a sabbatical from there everyday job.

I would aim for a salary around $150-$160K. I don't think that thats an unreasonable increase with the operating budget the City has (i.e. we just paid $120k for a friggin wood chipper for trees that Dan the Garbage man would have carted off to the dump for $5 grand). Of course if this back-fired and O'Leary became mayor at that salary I'd be really pissed but that aside I think it's worth a discussion.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post

to be perfectly honest I would LOVE to run for council! maybe next time around
Why not this time around? You could be that young, fresh, pro-development face we need! (Not that I've seen your face, but you get my point )

In regards to Signals comment about balance, I don't think council is balanced as it stands. Duff and O'Leary both almost religiously pro-heritage. We don't have anyone who is actively pro-development on council. It seems the only mind sets we have on council right now are either pro-heritage or neutral on the topic of development.

Like I've said many times before, i understand the need of protecting our old town and our heritage. I would hate to see tall or unfitting buildings pop up on Gower Street, Water Street or any of the "east end". But as it stands, we have plenty of councilors who will fight to protect our heritage, but none who will fight to get anything developed in the west end. What I think we need to create a true balance, is one or two councillors who will fight for development in the west end, yet also observe the need of protecting heritage without taking that to the extreme. We need someone who will point out the value of our heritage sector and use that as a driving point as to why we need to develop a vibrant, dense and yes, taller west end in order to have a truly balanced and successful city! The debate always seems so one sided. Certain people have no problem shooting down developments left, right and center, but offer no viable solutions as to where to develop. We need people who will open up both sides of the debate and say, "well, if we can't build here, than where will we build?"

I think with a good, balanced council and mayor, people will begin to realize that we cannot shoot down developments that violate heritage rules, if we have no other place to put them. If we deny everything approval, we will not grow. We need a council that will bring that point to light and hopefully create the historic east end, and modern west end that we all dream of!

That's my rant for the night!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 9:45 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

He'll kill me for saying anything, but Jeddy's face will win him a few votes/move a few campaign signs/however you want to say it. And I agree he should run. Might not win but at least get your name out there so you have a higher profile next time.

And it appears my point about balance is wrong. Just about everyone here and those I have asked IRL said council is indifferent or hostile to development with no rabidly pro-development councillor. I got it wrong. Hate that lol.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2012, 2:49 PM

Well, no, I wasn't trying to saying that you were completely wrong. There is a pressure to develop and having strong heritage protectors on council certainly does protect heritage very well! While that does create a partial balance, I just think we need a one or two strong pro-development people to create a perfect balance.

I don't wan't you to think I was bashing your opinion, because there is a lot of truth to it! I just slightly disagree, but again, that's just my opinion!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's