HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I heard GE's Big Data group is looking at this development. Clearly CODA is getting a lot of attention for Portman to want to start Phase II as a speculative development. Also, considering Selig's proposed West Peachtree development is 600K sqft and is 32 stories it is conceivable this could be above 30 stories.
30 office building stories means pretty good height, no?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 10:33 PM

Isn't AIG still looking at Atlanta for a major consolidation? I would think that they would definitely be looking hard at a new Midtown tower.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:14 PM

Gotta agree with the nimby's on the ponce proposals - that height is ridiculous for that area, and a larger number of shorter structures would result in the same or higher density and better urbanism.

Tall towers in proximity to drive-throughs and parking lots is the Houston model, no reason for Atlanta to continue with the poor urbanism along the Beltline.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaharocks View Post
Gotta agree with the nimby's on the ponce proposals - that height is ridiculous for that area, and a larger number of shorter structures would result in the same or higher density and better urbanism.

Tall towers in proximity to drive-throughs and parking lots is the Houston model, no reason for Atlanta to continue with the poor urbanism along the Beltline.
Who's to say those drive throughs and parking lots can't also be redeveloped into denser parcels to support the increasing urbanization of the area? No reason that all of the land on North Ave and Ponce shouldn't be developed from Midtown to the EST, especially with the North Ave streetcar looming.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
Isn't AIG still looking at Atlanta for a major consolidation? I would think that they would definitely be looking hard at a new Midtown tower.
When I was doing a consulting project at AIG in 2013 the rumor at their HQ in NYC was they were relocating to Atlanta.

Last edited by Atlanta3000; Jul 18, 2017 at 12:52 AM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 11:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitmeo View Post
Who's to say those drive throughs and parking lots can't also be redeveloped into denser parcels to support the increasing urbanization of the area? No reason that all of the land on North Ave and Ponce shouldn't be developed from Midtown to the EST, especially with the North Ave streetcar looming.
100% agree!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:35 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
100% agree!
Yep, midtown to north highland along ponce is prime for redevelopment and same thing goes for midtown to the EST along north Ave. we don't need 18 story towers the whole way though.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Yep, midtown to north highland along ponce is prime for redevelopment and same thing goes for midtown to the EST along north Ave. we don't need 18 story towers the whole way though.
Nor would we get them the whole way. But don't think they should be outlawed there.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Is this the "boutique urban concept hotel" that's already had 2 drastically different renderings before this one?

EDIT: 17 floors, so I guess this is it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Nor would we get them the whole way. But don't think they should be outlawed there.
Sure, all the developments along Ponce could and should be developed into walkable projects in the 3 - 7 story range, which would fit the context of the area and boost the nearby neighborhoods, but 18 stories along that corridor is insane when there are so many empty lots remaining between downtown and midtown.

PCM is great, but remains way out of scale with the neighborhoods despite being about 10 stories. High rises at various parcels on Ponce would not jive visually with Atlanta's north/south Peachtree spine arrangement.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Is this the "boutique urban concept hotel" that's already had 2 drastically different renderings before this one?

EDIT: 17 floors, so I guess this is it.
The previous ones were from a different architecture firm and for Virgin hotel. Not sure if this new proposal is replacing it, but they look to be similarly placed. I'll reach out to my buddy and see what he can share.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Exactly, higher density can and should be built where it makes sense, and the exact place where Beltline transit will meet North Ave transit makes lots of sense. Yes, 18 stories is out of scale with what's there now. But who thinks fast food restaurants and suburban big box plazas is the model for how the neighborhood should continue developing forever?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 10:03 AM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Sure, all the developments along Ponce could and should be developed into walkable projects in the 3 - 7 story range, which would fit the context of the area and boost the nearby neighborhoods, but 18 stories along that corridor is insane when there are so many empty lots remaining between downtown and midtown.

PCM is great, but remains way out of scale with the neighborhoods despite being about 10 stories. High rises at various parcels on Ponce would not jive visually with Atlanta's north/south Peachtree spine arrangement.
I bet this is what they said when Colony Square was built in Midtown. Way out of scale in the neighborhood when it was built.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 10:08 AM
BANNED

TowerPlace Buckhead - Office/Condo Tower and Apartment Tower

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 10:20 AM
BANNED

Opus Place - Midtown

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 12:03 PM

Question: isn't Peachtree Place getting a rehab ?

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 1:26 PM

[QUOTE=Atlanta3000;7868206]Opus Place - Midtown

Oh Opus, you know I love you.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I think 3-7 stories will be more common in that Cooridior. But what exactly is the hardship that is being suffered by allowing taller buildings? If we want to give people options beyond traffic we need as much density as we can get in walkable, transit connected areas.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2017, 2:25 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations