HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:14 PM

All hail the new kingdom

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Mar 3, 2016 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:17 PM

Drexel, Brandywine to develop new $3.5B neighborhood called Schuylkill Yards

Quote:
Drexel University and Brandywine Realty Trust unveiled Schuylkill Yards, a $3.5 billion new neighborhood that will be constructed over two decades and create a community focused on innovation.

Brandywine was officially named master planner on Wednesday for the development that will span over 14 acres and, at build out, consist of five million square feet of office, lab, residential, hotel, retail and open space.

“We’re always looking for game-changing projects and this project, Schuylkill Yards, is a game changer for the city, the region and a game changer for the commonwealth of Pennsylvania,” said state Sen. Anthony Williams. “The innovation will have a national impact.”

Brandywine (NYSE: BDN) is just starting the approval process, said Jerry Sweeney, CEO of the Radnor, Pa., real estate investment trust.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...sity-city.html

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Yep, which looks to be between 350-400 feet
So that would be the building right next to the Cira II site? Any rumblings about an announcement for the latter? Maybe we'll get two towers underway at the same time? It would probably be more efficient that way on that little patch between 30th St. and the highline.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:27 PM

For all of the fussing about the highline on the high-rise development thread, note that a portion of the current lowrise building behind the Bulletin extends beneath it. The site plan for SY is simply contemplating the same thing for whatever new project is built there.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:33 PM

Hot damn this is awesome! Only downside is the wait. The first building isn't projected to start until 2018. Brandywine and Drexel do seem serious about getting this off the ground though. Hoping that this and uCity Square gets built too.

Not to nitpick but I see 7 buildings in the renderings, not 8??

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackpinky View Post
Hot damn this is awesome! Only downside is the wait. The first building isn't projected to start until 2018. Brandywine and Drexel do seem serious about getting this off the ground though. Hoping that this and uCity Square gets built too.

Not to nitpick but I see 7 buildings in the renderings, not 8??
UCity square is starting work already.

And Drexel/Brandywine said they would like the first tower to be under construction by 2018, which means work on the first one could start next year (2017).

And there are 8. One on the 3000 block of Chestnut, two along the 3000 block of Market. Two along the 3100 block of Market, including the tallest, and three along JFK between 30th an 32nd.

Last edited by summersm343; Mar 2, 2016 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:40 PM

If this gets built to fruition, than Philly may have a skyline to easily compete with Chicago as the US's second best skyline. Also didn't it say something about ShOP designing it? This could be great!!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:49 PM

Can anyone deduce which building is going up first? 31st and JFK...sure, but I'm having trouble confirming which is that.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
Can anyone deduce which building is going up first? 31st and JFK...sure, but I'm having trouble confirming which is that.
"a tower to house labs and offices at the northeast corner of 31st Street and John F. Kennedy Boulevard" - from the press release

I would assume that would be the building on the plan (about the 3rd post or so in this thread) directly north across JFK from the current Bulletin building and closest to 30th street.

would that be the lot next to the old CiraII location?

also in looking at this maybe its time to move the taxi stands to the west side of 30th to take advantage of the development

I believe there is a 30th Street Planning meeting on the 16th of March or open house and am sure this will be more interesting with all this news

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah "NE corner of JFK and 31st" isn't very descriptive, since there currently is no corner of 31st and JFK. Summers thinks it's the shorter one on the east side of the highline. That would be right next to the Cira II hole over the tracks. The other building on the N. side of JFK is a larger and taller structure that mostly stretches to the NW of where 31st St. will come in.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
I would assume that would be the building on the plan (about the 3rd post or so in this thread) directly north across JFK from the current Bulletin building and closest to 30th street.

would that be the lot next to the old CiraII location?
That's what I think. Hopefully Cira II will be announced in the coming months and that stretch can be under construction all at once.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I think, as KidPhilly and Knight Hospitaller said, it is the building closest to Cira Centre and 30th Street station, sitting on JFK Blvd directly north of the Bulletin Building. It will sit on what is currently a surface parking lot in between the CSX Train High Line and the hole looking down into the train tracks where Cira II will eventually go.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 11:24 PM

What's up with the pre-boiled spaghetti facade on the super-tall? Does anyone know of any existing buildings with that type of design?

I love this project. I just thought the exterior looked kind of funny at first glance.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs Peterson View Post
What's up with the pre-boiled spaghetti facade on the super-tall? Does anyone know of any existing buildings with that type of design?

I love this project. I just thought the exterior looked kind of funny at first glance.
No current ones I know of, but the planned 340 Flatbush in Brooklyn has a similar design

Source:NY YIMBY

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 12:01 AM

^ I was juuuuuust going to say that it reminded me of Brooklyn's planned supertall...

...and then I realized that tower was also designed by SHoP! Makes sense!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 12:11 AM

Not sure when this was first presented, many years ago no doubt, and it's still hanging in the back of 30th Street station as a reminder of the possibilities for the area. With today's news, a version of this grand dream seems to be finally realistic. Obviously many things need to occur, including some 2 decades of constant construction. But - today marks what may very well be that pivotal moment. Mark it down, boys! 3/2/2016.

[IMG]Untitled by screennameLLC, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 12:11 AM
Hello

Amazing development!

Trying to comprehend how Cira II is going to fit in there. Cira II is rumored to be a super tall, so there would be two new super talls in University City within blocks of each other.

Quote:
Title: Cira II
Project: Office
Architect: Cesar Pelli of Pelli Clarke Pelli
Developer: Brandywine Realty Trust
Neighborhood: University City
District: West Philadelphia
Floors: 48 floors
Height: 725 feet

http://www.phillydistrict30.com/study-area-maps/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 12:17 AM
Hello

We give you...The City of the Future

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 12:39 AM
Hello

They used a dated aerial photo of University City for this rendering. There are many new buildings that currently exist that are not in the photo.

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 12:46 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwayze1994 View Post
If this gets built to fruition, than Philly may have a skyline to easily compete with Chicago as the US's second best skyline. Also didn't it say something about ShOP designing it? This could be great!!
An outstanding proposal indeed, will pull the skyline over the river, but easy on the Chicago comparison, its not that close.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals