HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 1:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
You can never have enough parks. This is a great development.
I'm with you.

A park is a "natural", peaceful place for urban residents to go and relax. Once a building goes up, it's there essentially forever. So getting parks in while you can means claiming that space for everyone, instead of just a select few.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 10:01 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

The near east side is one of the hottest areas in the country for residential renovation.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 3:30 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
I realize that "really seem" and "to be" and "progressing" and "quickly" are subjective terms, and so is "that area", but that area is progressing more quickly than any other part of the inner city, in terms of residential development, and the residential development in question was not scrapped, it was relocated a few blocks south. This park will only add more value and hasten the inevitable transition of surrounding industrial/warehouse space to residential.
I would argue that the Pearl area through St. Mary’s is progressing faster.

We had friends that moved into DH and there was a homeless person overdosing in their front yard on move in day. They always have stories for us when we go over.

The area is coming along but this park was not needed. Will it be a good addition? Time will tell. This area is so close to DT and has so much potential so fingers crossed is keeps on keeping on.

The good news is lots are so cheap that it is cost effect to develop so it should not stop anytime soon and the area has a “sense” of community.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
I would argue that the Pearl area through St. Mary’s is progressing faster.

We had friends that moved into DH and there was a homeless person overdosing in their front yard on move in day. They always have stories for us when we go over.

The area is coming along but this park was not needed. Will it be a good addition? Time will tell. This area is so close to DT and has so much potential so fingers crossed is keeps on keeping on.

The good news is lots are so cheap that it is cost effect to develop so it should not stop anytime soon and the area has a “sense” of community.
Cool anecdotes, but tell me, when is a park "needed"?

Dignowity Hill started at a much lower point than the Pearl area, in terms of property values, private investment levels, and infrastructure. DH did not have a billionaire converting a massive vacant industrial site, or a river recently made into a beautiful attraction. Your comparison is apples and oranges. DH will benefit massively from this park and will have private investment increase because of it.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 10:09 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Cool anecdotes, but tell me, when is a park "needed"?
Whenever there are people who live in the area. This article addresses "great" parks, but the information answers your question about the value of parks in general.

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/con...d-public-park/

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Whenever there are people who live in the area. This article addresses "great" parks, but the information answers your question about the value of parks in general.

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/con...d-public-park/
Thank you. Your link doesn't explore other reasons why parks like this one are good, so here's a link that does. Relevant reasons include spurring private investment, reducing area crime, and achieving equity goals.

https://cityparksalliance.org/about-...-parks-matter/

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 2:32 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Are people really arguing the value and merits of a park? Come on now people.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 1:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Are people really arguing the value and merits of a park? Come on now people.
When someone says, "Thank you" it's a good indication they're not arguing.

Thank you too, Spoiler, for the link you posted. I can tell you from experience that the Rose Kennedy Greenway (shown in the photo in the story you posted, and shown below) is a fantastic improvement for downtown Boston. It's the result of the "Big Dig" and it covered what was once an ugly freeway with what is now a beautiful and heavily used park (until a couple months ago anyway... but will be again once it's safe for people to gather in crowds).

https://cityparksalliance.org/wp-con...6870910282.jpg

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Thank you. Your link doesn't explore other reasons why parks like this one are good, so here's a link that does. Relevant reasons include spurring private investment, reducing area crime, and achieving equity goals.

https://cityparksalliance.org/about-...-parks-matter/
In general, parks can spur private investment, but when you screw over private investment to build a park, that seems to defeat the purpose. The whole thing was just handled really badly.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdev View Post
In general, parks can spur private investment, but when you screw over private investment to build a park, that seems to defeat the purpose. The whole thing was just handled really badly.
But nobody got screwed over. The developers were given another lot a few blocks south and are happy about it.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
When someone says, "Thank you" it's a good indication they're not arguing.

Thank you too, Spoiler, for the link you posted. I can tell you from experience that the Rose Kennedy Greenway (shown in the photo in the story you posted, and shown below) is a fantastic improvement for downtown Boston. It's the result of the "Big Dig" and it covered what was once an ugly freeway with what is now a beautiful and heavily used park (until a couple months ago anyway... but will be again once it's safe for people to gather in crowds).

https://cityparksalliance.org/wp-con...6870910282.jpg
This is not DT Boston.

The apartment building would have been better. Maybe in 20 years the park will pay dividends but I’ll hold my breathe.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 3:22 PM

I live between the Lockwood/Dignowity Parks and this new Dawson Park. It was already mentioned that Lockwood/Dignowity is planned to get a ~$4million renovation, more details here.

I wasn't a huge fan of this turning into a park. First of all, there is no funding for it. Best case scenario is that it will be funded by the next bond but that just means they'll have to divert funding from another area of the district that needs it more. Secondly, there are already an abundance of parks in this area. Not only are Dignowity/Lockwood close but so is Maverick Park. Extend out a little more and you also have Fairchild Park and Healy Murphy Park. One bit of good news is that TCI is wrapping up the Lamar Street project which included street trees. Since part of Dawson Park fronts Lamar they are going to be able to plant quite a few trees along the street to jump start the project. And who knows maybe the city will find savings from other projects to do part of this park before the next bond.

At the end of the day I told my neighbors I was supportive of the apartment but if a compromise was reached I would support the park just as much. Will this be cool? Sure. But I'm disappointed that the apartment development didn't go in there. Would have been great to have more density so quickly along with some street level retail and a pocket park near the bridge. Longer term, if all the industrial land between the highway and Cherry Street is developed into 4-10 story buildings over the next few decades this will be a great amenity.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 12:36 PM
JACKinBeantown

What's the new crane next to the CPS garage?

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/texas/s...cam=sanantonio

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 1:26 PM

Quote:
What's the new crane next to the CPS garage?

https://www.earthcam.com/usa/texas/s...cam=sanantonio
That stream is old. Take a look at the lack of greenery.

From Earthcam-
There are currently technical problems affecting this camera and we are working with our affiliate to get it fixed.  As a result, the camera may not be available on our website or in the Webcams app for the duration.   Thank you for your patience, and please let us know if we can assist with anything else.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 2:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
That stream is old. Take a look at the lack of greenery.

From Earthcam-
There are currently technical problems affecting this camera and we are working with our affiliate to get it fixed.  As a result, the camera may not be available on our website or in the Webcams app for the duration.   Thank you for your patience, and please let us know if we can assist with anything else.
Ah! I thought it looked strikingly similar to and in the exact same location as the CPS crane.

Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 3:01 PM
JACKinBeantown

FYI... when the page loads, or if you click refresh, you can quickly see a live shot just for a split second.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 5:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

No taller than 500M, no plagiarism: China signals 'new era' for architecture

"Moscow and Barcelona are among cities that already appoint an individual to approve or veto new proposals. Li welcomed the idea as a way to ensure designs fit the overall urban context."

- I posted this here because it seems at least partly in line with the HDRC's mission. For that reason, San Antonians might find it interesting.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/ch...hnk/index.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 2:51 PM

Alamo Master Plan Phase 1

https://www.thealamo.org/alamo-plan/...iew/index.html

I apologize if this has been posted previously. There is a live camera feed of the Phase 1 portion the Alamo Master Plan.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
FYI... when the page loads, or if you click refresh, you can quickly see a live shot just for a split second.
The camera appears to be working.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 1:45 AM

HEB is building another parking garage.
Quote:
The applicant is requesting conceptual approval to construct a parking structure to accommodate parking for 928
automobiles and feature 10,000 square feet of office space. The proposed parking structure is to feature nine levels
above ground and one level below. In addition to the construction of parking structure, the applicant has also requested
to construct a pedestrian bridge to span S Flores Street.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio