HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:59 AM
JACKinBeantown

Yes, nice work, Kevin.

I was looking at the Weston too... thinking how it's too bad they didn't stack the two parts and make it twice as tall. But whatever, it filled up a lot of space on a narrow block.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 9:22 PM

SA Express News- 11/27/19

Hotel Sul Fiume

This summer, the city’s Historic and Design Review Commission gave its initial approval to plans to tear down the rectory at St. Mary’s Catholic Church downtown and construct a 14-story, 147-room hotel dubbed Hotel Sul Fiume, or Hotel on the River in Italian.

The group proposing the project, SMS-SAR Hospitality LLC, includes developer Anthony Byron and the U.S. Province of the Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate. The Archdiocese of San Antonio would lease the property next to the church to the developer, and a new rectory and office with a separate entrance would be built for the church inside the hotel.

An unidentified hotel brand would manage the property, and renderings also show a restaurant and a cafe or retail space in the building. The archdiocese directed questions to Byron, who didn’t respond to inquiries.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
SA Express News- 11/27/19

The Archdiocese of San Antonio would lease the property next to the church to the developer, and a new rectory and office with a separate entrance would be built for the church inside the hotel.
This part interests me. Can the Archdiocese dictate what activities/convention hotel groups, etc stay or do business at the hotel?

Not wanting to turn this into a political discussion but genuinely interested in if they can dictate in the land lease what can or can't be done with the property. Maybe some of the commercial real estate or attorneys on here could chime in.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
This part interests me. Can the Archdiocese dictate what activities/convention hotel groups, etc stay or do business at the hotel?

Not wanting to turn this into a political discussion but genuinely interested in if they can dictate in the land lease what can or can't be done with the property. Maybe some of the commercial real estate or attorneys on here could chime in.
The Catholic Church is VERY POWERFUL!!!!!

AMEN!!!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 1:23 PM

An update on potential groundbreaking:
https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...breaking-date/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeger View Post
An update on potential groundbreaking:
https://www.virtualbx.com/constructi...breaking-date/
Thx for the update. I'm interested to see if hotel development is stifled for a bit due to everything going on. How long will it take for occupancy rates to recover?

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 1:28 AM

This project is on the next HDRC agenda.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 12:25 AM

Big fan of this one! Seems like since the Frost, we've been getting more modern, more glass. It's really quite refreshing! I really like how the new, modern buildings will complement the old architecture we have here, & also I think it'll nullify some of the "HDRC beige" buildings here as well.

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 10:40 PM

Did this project get the final green light?

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 2:28 AM

Yesterday I looked at the final agenda for the next meeting, and this project was not included. That doesn't mean much on its own; it may just be temporarily delayed and will show up on the next agenda.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Yesterday I looked at the final agenda for the next meeting, and this project was not included. That doesn't mean much on its own; it may just be temporarily delayed and will show up on the next agenda.
It is on the agenda for the May 29th meeting.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Depa...F-9445954E66D4

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:21 PM

Staff recommends approval, with stipulations.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 9:36 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Staff recommends approval, with stipulations.
Is that your guess as to what happens or are you reporting that’s what happened? Is the meeting not until the 29th?

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Is that your guess as to what happens or are you reporting that’s what happened? Is the meeting not until the 29th?
You might want to reread what Spoiler actually wrote............

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:35 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2008 View Post
You might want to reread what Spoiler actually wrote............
You’re right. I misread it. I thought it said HDRC approved it with stipulations. It’s staff that is recommending it with stipulations. That’s my fault.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 12:00 AM

Approved

The Rivard Report has an article today stating this project was unanimously approved by the Historic Commission at their last virtual meeting. Construction is starting late this summer. The article mentions it is "kitty-corner" to an 18 story hotel currently under construction. Anyone know what this? Thinking either the Floodgate or Canopy? Thought Canopy was over 20 stories, and the Floodgate is an apartment tower, not a hotel. So, I'm confused......
BUT a new crane seems to be on its way up, as well as a new hotel!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
The Rivard Report has an article today stating this project was unanimously approved by the Historic Commission at their last virtual meeting. Construction is starting late this summer. The article mentions it is "kitty-corner" to an 18 story hotel currently under construction. Anyone know what this? Thinking either the Floodgate or Canopy? Thought Canopy was over 20 stories, and the Floodgate is an apartment tower, not a hotel. So, I'm confused......
BUT a new crane seems to be on its way up, as well as a new hotel!!
It should be the Canopy since that one is right across the river along St. Mary's street. The Flood gate is further east along commerce street.

They must have just messed up on the height.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 3:21 PM

Does anyone know if this project ever broke ground? It was supposed to start at the end of Summer 2020. There will be demo before anything starts to go up, so I am curious if the demo work has begun. I found a permit that was submitted in May 2020, but it had no GC listed. I have not gotten a chance to go downtown and check it out. Does anyone go by this area that can check it out?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 4:07 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
Does anyone know if this project ever broke ground? It was supposed to start at the end of Summer 2020. There will be demo before anything starts to go up, so I am curious if the demo work has begun. I found a permit that was submitted in May 2020, but it had no GC listed. I have not gotten a chance to go downtown and check it out. Does anyone go by this area that can check it out?
I've seen nothing or heard anything.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2020, 9:19 PM

So, I believe that is cadi-corner from the Hilton Canopy going up. There have been lots of street closures due to the Canopy construction in that area. Maybe that could be a reason???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio