HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownBooster View Post
I'm surprised there's been any talk on this board about the RWB residency. The building only opened in 1995 so I can't see it being torn down to make way for another development. There is still lots of surface parking downtown that can make way for development.
not only that, but the best dive bar in Winnipeg was sacrificed to see that thing rise. I still hate it with a passion.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 10:30 PM
There is always a way

^ further to that we need to also consider actual public squares with fountains and benches as a focal point and space where one can host markets and festivals amongst other things. Pretty Good example is Place des Armes in Montreal. Nothing overly special. There's a statue in the middle, a few trees, a few benches, a great big space paved with stones. The classic town square is often over looked on these boards but is quintessential to the urbamity of a city. Literally what makes European cities so great IMHO. Sprinkle in some visually pleasing architecture and street art and you begin to create a good urban feel.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
^ further to that we need to also consider actual public squares with fountains and benches as a focal point and space where one can host markets and festivals amongst other things. Pretty Good example is Place des Armes in Montreal. Nothing overly special. There's a statue in the middle, a few trees, a few benches, a great big space paved with stones. The classic town square is often over looked on these boards but is quintessential to the urbamity of a city. Literally what makes European cities so great IMHO. Sprinkle in some visually pleasing architecture and street art and you begin to create a good urban feel.
too green for this board

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 11:30 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Out with your aesthetically pleasing ideas and logical senses! We don't need your kind here!!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 1:36 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Take that Biff

I'll take it jmt...il take it alright
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Sep 3, 2017 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 2:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Definitely more fountains are needed downtown, one of the many aspects of KC I love!

In a perfect world, PP would be cut into two, something like this built in the centre, with the exteriors of the two sections of the mall rounded/curved with exterior storefronts.

https://www.visitkc.com/visitors/thi...city-fountains

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 5:30 PM

lol ya'll are nuts. people who don't care about proper urban planning etc would be like "I thought you all HATED parking lots and wanted to build UP - now you're telling me you want to remove buildings to have parks?!".

(ftr I agree some greenspace is nice but am still in a 'please keep building up and don't stop - don't get distracted - keep filling any lots / low rises while we can!' type mode)

Ftr what building is the RWB residency ?? Only thing I can see that matches is at 236 Carlton. Is that the residency?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 6:05 PM
BANNED

Parking lots? Yikes! No, that is not being promoted. Scale of public space is key. We don't need massive empty spaces, but strategically placed plazas with fountains and benches are not parking lots.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/richedwa...cia-spain/amp/

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
l

Ftr what building is the RWB residency ?? Only thing I can see that matches is at 236 Carlton. Is that the residency?
Correct and its connected over the back lane to the training studio(s) / parkade to the west on Edmonton St.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Parking lots? Yikes! No, that is not being promoted. Scale of public space is key. We don't need massive empty spaces, but strategically placed plazas with fountains and benches are not parking lots.
I know. Was just joking that to outsiders we must look like we are both advocating for the removal of parking lots for buildings, and the replacement of buildings with (public/fountain/bench) lots. I know what you mean about the scale.

That picture is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. How old are those buildings??? The older style ones look almost brand new!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolselyMan View Post
Ultimately, if the area continues with it's current momentum, all of those small 1-3 floor stores on graham near the bay will be demolished for higher density developments. I'm certain it would be much, much easier for a developer to acquire one of those properties versus something like the RWB residency that we're all focused on.
I hope Graham keeps it's small human scale once it starts developing more. It's one of our most walkable streets and I would hate to see it turn into a tunnel of towers. It would be nice to see lots of 3-4 story podiums.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 3:42 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
A bakery would be great, perhaps a Cobs...
Cobs would struggle in Winnipeg.

There are WAY too many local bakeries (Gunn's, KUB, Natural, City, Sleepy Owl, Crusty Bun, Stella's, Tall Grass, L'epi etc) in this town that people already argue about which is the best.

The last thing we need is a bakery that is just an overpriced chain like Cobs.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 5:10 PM

Someone on this forum said a while back that there was already a deal in place for some sports pub to move into Hull's once the construction office leaves.

And I think SP looks great. I hope both here and at all other places in the city, that mid-block parkade/vehicle access cutouts maintain the height and form of the sidewalk, so cars have to go over, as opposed to humans making the adjustment. There's some locations around downtown/Exchange that are like that, but I don't understand why there's so much inconsistency from the city on that.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Cobs would struggle in Winnipeg.

There are WAY too many local bakeries (Gunn's, KUB, Natural, City, Sleepy Owl, Crusty Bun, Stella's, Tall Grass, L'epi etc) in this town that people already argue about which is the best.

The last thing we need is a bakery that is just an overpriced chain like Cobs.
There's nothing downtown. I actually went to that "Baked something" place on Graham expecting to buy some baked goods. Such a disappointment.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 6:59 PM
BANNED

Exactly. I think a bakery would do well.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
There's nothing downtown. I actually went to that "Baked something" place on Graham expecting to buy some baked goods. Such a disappointment.
Haha... The Urban Bakery. It even says "Not an actual bakery" on their door... I wonder if they've thought about setting one up? Could be a lucrative little side hustle for them

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
There is Tall Grass at The Forks and several more not too far outside the core of downtown. The challenge is the current weekday office crowd and the comparatively high rent costs downtown make it difficult for a bakery to be profitable. If you were looking to setup a bakery being out in the suburbs would be a much stronger business case to take to the bank for financing. Even if you could self-fund the market conditions downtown v elsewhere in Winnipeg would strongly encourage you to not be downtown.

That said a new bakery is scheduled to open up at Portage and Sherbrook sometime soon and that is again, almost downtown.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 7:42 PM
BANNED

Once TNS opens, plus 300 Main, I would like to think we will see more retail open in the area. At this point, who knows.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Haha... The Urban Bakery. It even says "Not an actual bakery" on their door... I wonder if they've thought about setting one up? Could be a lucrative little side hustle for them
It closing - it's becoming a Livestock.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:49 AM

There's some pics here on the Economic Development Winnipeg blog that I didn't see anywhere else (I didn't download all the press pics). Includes west and south views... appears there may even be a CRU facing St. Mary, as well as maybe another parkade entrance?

Also of note is that in the SHED map, it lists the Radisson hotel as one of the Storefront Improvement Program buildings... did that already happen and it amounted to the new white lights on the parkade (that have since been removed), and a fresh coat of red paint on the awnings? If so, what a horrible misuse of that money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan