HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh953 View Post
Noticed yesterday that Delta’s summer and fall schedule is showing all YXE-MSP flights now using an E175 instead of the CRJ. No increase in seats (both at 76), however definitely a more roomy aircraft.
And meanwhile in Regina, they won't even give us a 50-seat CRJ-200. So annoying.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 10:03 PM

Some more Saskatoon runway updates for landing/takeoffs

http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/about-us/...provements.pdf

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Just as an update to my post above, I arrived back in Saskatoon to an absolute taxi clusterf*ck at the airport yesterday.

There were two flights arriving within 5 minutes of each other at about 5:45 pm. We get our luggage and head out to get a taxi, not concerned as one generally sees a line of them waiting to pull ahead and pick up passengers. Not yesterday - We ended up in the middle of a 40-50 person lineup waiting for taxis as there were no cabs at the airport. How the taxi company can screw things up this badly is beyond me. It's not exactly rocket science to see when the flights are arriving (not when scheduled to arrive, but when they are actually arriving) and arrange to have a number of cabs waiting at the airport.

The already irritable group of people was made even more angry when the couple in line immediately ahead of us left the lineup to go grab a cab that that they had phoned for pickup right after landing and was supposedly pulling up to the pickup area right then. There were two cabs arriving at the same time, one of them may or may not have been the one that they'd summoned, but they didn't make friends out of the 20 or so people who they had cut in front of. When our cab finally arrived as part of a influx of 6 cabs at once, the driver explained that part of the problem is that the day drivers and night drivers have their shift change at 6pm, exactly when the cabs were required.

At least everyone was able to wait in the large vestibule that is there for that purpose. Would have been crappy to have to wait outside with no heaters. Further to that, I had to wait outside, but in a shelter, at the Toronto airport recently and really appreciated the infrared heater there. I may be changing my thoughts on the need for heaters at the Saskatoon airport.
The taxi situation at YXE is always a cluster. When there’s only one option, there’s no need to be efficient or customer orientated. Hopefully that changes with the ride sharing options coming to saskatoon. Curious if the airport will add ride sharing pick up and drop off locations like they do at most major airports?

As well, took a Taxi on January 14 and noticed the airport authority, effective January 1, had added a $4 surcharge for every taxi cab pickup. This was then changed to flat rate pricing on January 17 (which includes a $2 airport surcharge). The flat rate pricing is cheaper (to my area of the city) than the standard taxi fare (even with the $2 surcharge) so looks like the taxi companies are taking a hit here. I wonder if this is also in response to the pending ride sharing companies coming to YXE?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 4:54 AM

This isn’t airport related, but as an FYI, the Riide cabs are just the Comfort Cabs with a new name. Definitely a shrewd move.. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4899157

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
This isn’t airport related, but as an FYI, the Riide cabs are just the Comfort Cabs with a new name. Definitely a shrewd move.. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4899157
I would disagree with the UofS professor quoted in the article. The reason uber and lyft are popular has nothing to do with being sexy new thing. It has everything to do with convenience and quality of service. You know upfront how much your ride is going to cost. You know when the vehicle is going to arrive, The app provides turn-by-turn directions to the driver to get you to exactly where you want to go.

There is no communication barrier or confusion on how to get there. There is now meter. Pricing is pre-determined. The drives are more focused on customer service. Overall it is a much better experience.

Getting back to the airport. With all the changes at YXE curbside, did they create a special pickup area for uber?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:06 PM

I’m sure YQR will just use the spot that was previously used for the Greyhound pickup for Uber/Lyft

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I would disagree with the UofS professor quoted in the article. The reason uber and lyft are popular has nothing to do with being sexy new thing. It has everything to do with convenience and quality of service. You know upfront how much your ride is going to cost. You know when the vehicle is going to arrive, The app provides turn-by-turn directions to the driver to get you to exactly where you want to go.

There is no communication barrier or confusion on how to get there. There is now meter. Pricing is pre-determined. The drives are more focused on customer service. Overall it is a much better experience.

Getting back to the airport. With all the changes at YXE curbside, did they create a special pickup area for uber?
At YXE they have the median dividing commercial and non-commercial. My guess is they’ll try to make it so Uber needs to use commercial and they’ll collect an airport surcharge. Failing that then they will require Uber to use the non-commercial side similar to the cell phone pickups and justify their cab surcharge by allowing them a premium curbside experience not available to Uber.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino35 View Post

As well, took a Taxi on January 14 and noticed the airport authority, effective January 1, had added a $4 surcharge for every taxi cab pickup. This was then changed to flat rate pricing on January 17 (which includes a $2 airport surcharge). The flat rate pricing is cheaper (to my area of the city) than the standard taxi fare (even with the $2 surcharge) so looks like the taxi companies are taking a hit here. I wonder if this is also in response to the pending ride sharing companies coming to YXE?
What is the flat rate from the airport? Just curious for Saskatoon. I have used the flat rate from the Vancouver airport a few times to the middle of downtown (30min drive) and it is $32 if I remember correctly.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotToScale View Post
What is the flat rate from the airport? Just curious for Saskatoon. I have used the flat rate from the Vancouver airport a few times to the middle of downtown (30min drive) and it is $32 if I remember correctly.
$20 to get downtown, $41 to the furthest corner of the city.

https://skyxe.ca/Portals/0/SAA_FlatRateMap_FINAL_1.pdf

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:45 PM

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
$20 to get downtown, $41 to the furthest corner of the city.

https://skyxe.ca/Portals/0/SAA_FlatRateMap_FINAL_1.pdf
Thanks for the info. Yikes, pricey. But then again the regular rates are even worse.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:32 PM

From the LP one year ago:

Quote:
The fares showed the trip from The Creeks, which is about 20 kilometres away from the airport [YQR], cost $35.50.
The fare from the northwest was $23.00 at a distance of approximately 12 kilometres.
The final trip from the Delta Hotel was $16.75 and about seven kilometres away from the airport.
Uber and Lyft were just approved last night by City Council.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 8:12 PM

Airbus coming back to Regina for Air Canada!

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...craft-changes/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:07 PM

Uber is officially in Saskatoon! So with Comfort Cab's amazingly noncompetitive flat rates, a Comfort Cab from the Airport to downtown is $20, whereas an Uber is $14. Bye Bye Comfort Cab/Riide/United

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 12:57 AM

Even more drastic from Stonebridge to the airport...$24.70 with Uber, $41 flat rate with cab. And Uber will be here in 3 minutes.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 2:38 AM

New baggage handling system coming to Saskatoon airport

by Thomas Piller, Global News, February 7, 2019

Skyxe Saskatoon Airport announced Thursday a new baggage handling system is coming.

After 12 years of use, the system is being replaced to increase efficiency and better sort, screen and help get guests’ bags to their final destination.

Vice-president of operations with Skyxe Andrew Leeming said the new system doubles the capacity of the existing one.

[........]

Read more:
https://globalnews.ca/news/4936713/b...atoon-airport/

Last edited by Brutopian; Feb 8, 2019 at 3:12 AM. Reason: added date of article

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:09 AM

Ride-sharing yet to take off at Saskatoon airport

650 CKOM News
February 07, 2019

Uber became the first ride-sharing service to begin operating in Saskatchewan this week after launching in Saskatoon.

However, the service can’t be used for pick-ups at the airport.

Chad Minchinsky, terminal and customer service manager with the SKYXE Saskatoon Airport said services like Uber can drop off passengers, but would have to sign a deal to pick people up.

“We have standard practice at airports across North America. Of course, (that’s) having licensed providers for ground transportation,” he said.

[........]

Read more:
https://www.ckom.com/2019/02/07/ride...atoon-airport/

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Gotta say, great to see Skyxe crack the 1.5 million passenger mark.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:29 PM

YQR 2018 Stats

Regina International Airport saw 1,238,239 million passengers in 2018. That is an overall increase of 1.55 percent over 2017 which saw 1,219,311 million passengers use the airport.
Source is YQR website https://www.yqr.ca/

Not huge numbers compared to most of the other airports in Canada, but still an increase.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:55 PM

Regina airport aiming for U.S. route, more food options

https://www.cjme.com/2019/02/08/regi...-food-options/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan