HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
No, it is not as simple as being destination based... I work downtown a lot these days and I recognize the same faces through various parts of the underground or skywalk, all working in different buildings.

Richardson sees traffic from 360, 201 Portage sees traffic from MTS, 220 Prtage see traffic from Cargill all the way to MTS, etc...
But why would any of that change if pedestrian crossings were added at street level? Large numbers of people use the Graham and Portage skywalks despite the fact that all the intersections have pedestrian crossings. Why would the situation be any different at Portage & Main?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StNorberter View Post
The stores in the underground are convenience based ( dollar store, ticket kiosk, restaurant, hair salon).

People frequent them because they want a snack, want sushi, need a haircut etc. The get little to no business from the "oh, I need to stop in here crowd". It's the business crowd that supports these businesses, I wouldn't expect there to be much if any loss of business - It will always be quicker for me to go underground from Royal Bank to Richardson bldg than it would be street level. The apocalypse for the underground businesses that everyone predicts won;t come to pass.
And I would, as would leasing agents, disagree. A big driver in convenience retail is just that... sheer numbers and the "epiphany". The epiphany that you need a haircut or just ran out of toilet paper at home, or that you perhaps would like sushi rather than eat what you planned to have at your desk. This is based largely on the sheer volume of foot travellers, and if that number goes down, it isn't good.

For large landlords and REITs, these minute differences are huge, because they multiply over every property they own.

And as I said earlier, tenants cycle, so your goals are:

1) tenant retention
2) Attractive leasing
3) signing new, higher calibre tenants

You're never helping #1 with reduced foot traffic, although it may not change too much...

But you can forget 2 and 3.

Even if the tenant never leaves (there is a small chance they do), you'll never get a better rental rate out of them, and Winnipeg has comically low rental rates downtown. This is why development is so expensive... the rents don't cover the costs to build. Although the underground only services so many buildings, it services THE building... Winnipeg's flagships at the most important corner. It may not, but it also may, set a rental rate trend downward, which isn't good for the city. The layperson guffaws at that, but that is what tenants, landlords, and leasing agents look at.

And as per #3, strong, vibrant businesses will not replace the dormant shops going nowhere that sometimes struggle to stay open.

There will always be people going underground, there will always be favourable factors, but what major player would sit idly and accept those while ignoring the items I list above? Zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
But why would any of that change if pedestrian crossings were added at street level? Large numbers of people use the Graham and Portage skywalks despite the fact that all the intersections have pedestrian crossings. Why would the situation be any different at Portage & Main?
Simple. When it's nice out, people walk outside. I know I do.

Nobody is suggesting the underground will be a ghost town. In fact, it may not make a difference at all to the layperson's eye. But the statistician will notice a difference, and suddenly a number goes on paper.

A number on paper makes a huge difference in the business world, and could here as well.

What people forget is that tenants want the barriers up more than landlords. I'm sure the landlords like the idea of a vibrant core. But landlords have to protect their tenants, and the undergrounders are likely pressuring their landlords.

Keep in mind, I'm not a doomsday prophet. These are legitimately likely effects. But I still want the barriers down... but I want it done right. The City has an opportunity to not only impress the citizens of Winnipeg but to pertner with Landlords to deliver an experience at Portage and Main, and this would help bypass any struggles underground easily.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 5:27 PM

Also, for colour...

We see a buttload of new projects coming up in threads, and half the time there are massive cries for a sexier product... nicer materials, grander scheme...

I usually am defending these projects on basis of cost and feasibility.

Why have these roles reversed here? We have the city, who although broke, finally has a project truly worthy of investment, and we're ok with only the barriers coming down? Where are the critics demanding more or a "higher standard" seen commenting on itty bitty CRU's?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 7:43 PM
Aspiring.

Somewhere earlier on in this discussion someone posted that the traffic engineers should start fiddling with the timing of the lights prior to the barricades coming down so that when they did, motorists would already be accustomed to the delays that might result.
Now, it seems to me that in the last little while traffic on Portage around rush hour has been a lot more congested than even last year at this time. I usually never drive in rush hour but the other day it took me over 30 mins to get from Sherbrook & Portage to P&M. Is it possible the tinkering has begun or is this just coincidence?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 7:57 PM

^ Traffic varies wildly from day to day. One stalled car or set of barricades can be enough to send downtown traffic into a tailspin... for instance, a couple of weeks ago when the lights were out at Confusion Corner during the evening rush it took me 70 minutes on the dot to drive home from work... I can walk door to door in 45 minutes.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a one day traffic tieup.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 9:33 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
Somewhere earlier on in this discussion someone posted that the traffic engineers should start fiddling with the timing of the lights prior to the barricades coming down so that when they did, motorists would already be accustomed to the delays that might result.
Now, it seems to me that in the last little while traffic on Portage around rush hour has been a lot more congested than even last year at this time. I usually never drive in rush hour but the other day it took me over 30 mins to get from Sherbrook & Portage to P&M. Is it possible the tinkering has begun or is this just coincidence?
Traffic going eastbound on Portage has been backed up, bumper to bumper from Main to around the UofW for almost two months now in the afternoon rush hour.

It must have something to do with construction, but I walk home past these cars sitting there everyday. Its crazy. It certainly can't be due to traffic light sequencing.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Traffic going eastbound on Portage has been backed up, bumper to bumper from Main to around the UofW for almost two months now in the afternoon rush hour.

It must have something to do with construction, but I walk home past these cars sitting there everyday. Its crazy. It certainly can't be due to traffic light sequencing.
Hey welcome to my world, as I sat stuck in traffic the other day flipping radio stations I listened to that dip shit Clou-less Cloutier on CJOB said P & M should be a scramble intersection. Yeah goof lets make the wait even longer through an extra light cycle!

This supposed panacea opening proposed by dimwit Bowman and his minions at the urging of a very few with promises of rainbows and unicorns with everyone singing shambala is all bull shit folks. Open or closed it's still Portage and Main and outside of 9-5 the corner will be as dead as it's ever been!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldeyes View Post
There have definitely been changes to all the light timings in downtown over the last year or so. It could just be part of the continued rollout of the upgrades from the old mechanical light switches to the computerized ones. How I can tell something has changed is the timing of the lights to exit my parking spot used to be such that the traffic would clear the exit and oncoming traffic wold have a red light. Now the light cycle is such that the traffic passing my parking exit gets a red light such that traffic is commonly stacked up past the exit. It is a minor thing but something you notice. I also know that once I got driving I could hit a string of a free green lights but now its near impossible to hit the first light as green even if there was no traffic and if you manage to catch that one getting a chain of greens going is extremely rare.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 1:22 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Hey welcome to my world, as I sat stuck in traffic the other day flipping radio stations I listened to that dip shit Clou-less Cloutier on CJOB said P & M should be a scramble intersection. Yeah goof lets make the wait even longer through an extra light cycle!

This supposed panacea opening proposed by dimwit Bowman and his minions at the urging of a very few with promises of rainbows and unicorns with everyone singing shambala is all bull shit folks. Open or closed it's still Portage and Main and outside of 9-5 the corner will be as dead as it's ever been!
I think this current traffic has more to do with construction further south on the routes that Portage Eastbound serves - more than rainbows and unicorns.

But in any event - eastbound Portage is a disaster. It was backed up to Sherbrook yesterday at ~4:45.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 1:42 PM
What could go wrong?

It also could be as simple as more traffic.

Unrelated to downtown traffic (I work out by the UofM): my observations - I travel, starting around 59 & 101N, south down Lag and west on Bishop. I leave at 6:30 am (I started leaving at this time because leaving at 7 am there was more traffic).

I would have to say in 5 years the traffic along this route, at this time has at minimum doubled or tripled. 5 years ago I would be in groupings with only a handful of cars the entire route. Now, at every light I am amongst 20 or 30 cars at least.

Growing population = more cars.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:10 PM
Heart of the Continent

Definitely. I come back to the city about 1 time a month, and since I lived there 6 years ago, traffic has increased by a lot.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:17 PM

^ Good point. I have a vague recollection of some MPI stats regarding vehicle registration in Manitoba that were published in the WFP a couple of years ago... as I recall, the total number of registrations dramatically outstripped population growth. There are far more cars on the road now than there were 25 years ago. Yet infrastructure has not kept pace... important crosstown routes like Bishop Grandin and Lagimodiere are still the same 2-lane roads they were in the 80s. Next to no transit improvements either, so we can't rely on transit to divert a larger number of commuters from taking their cars.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:40 PM
the first stamp is free

^ the traffic "calming" removal of curb lanes and the diamond lanes down Portage certainly don't help the flow during rush hour either.

Traffic has increased - but what is happening down Portage just started this summer, and it was instantaneous - gotta be construction related.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ the traffic "calming" removal of curb lanes and the diamond lanes down Portage certainly don't help the flow during rush hour either.

Traffic has increased - but what is happening down Portage just started this summer, and it was instantaneous - gotta be construction related.
They ruined St. Matthews by doing that as well. A perfect 4 lane route reduced to 2.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:07 PM

Cory I've definitely noticed some changes to light timings as well. There used to be absolutely no way to not get stopped at either Harrow or Stafford on Taylor, if not at both, unless you gunned it in a Porsche. Now they're actually timed properly that you flow through both.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 6:39 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Good point. I have a vague recollection of some MPI stats regarding vehicle registration in Manitoba that were published in the WFP a couple of years ago... as I recall, the total number of registrations dramatically outstripped population growth. There are far more cars on the road now than there were 25 years ago. Yet infrastructure has not kept pace... important crosstown routes like Bishop Grandin and Lagimodiere are still the same 2-lane roads they were in the 80s. Next to no transit improvements either, so we can't rely on transit to divert a larger number of commuters from taking their cars.
Crosstown routes like lag and bishop should have been free-flowing decades ago. Before we have the adding lanes conversation we should be eliminating local access and at grade intersections.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 5:19 PM
surely you agree with me

I hear rumours there will be no crossing between Richardson and 201.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
That's in line with what I was talking about on previous pages. Crossing 3 sides only, which was light cycle option 3 in the RFP.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 5:29 PM

Not quite this thread. But I also heard rumours the Forks railside/whatever its called developments will be stick framed 6 storey?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Makes sense, that right turn southbound Main to westbound Portage has the potential of being quite dangerous with pedestrians. The rest, not so much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan