HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 7:51 PM

It has nothing to do with whether you understand a generation or not. It has to do with economics (which btw, I'm not of the retiring age or even close for the record).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 9:40 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
lol you guys dont understand the upcoming generation.

thats ok. just go senile and retire to arizona.
I'm not sure even *you* understand the upcoming generation. One thing the "upcoming generation" is not taking for granted are cushy, pensioned jobs. In order to survive in an economy without that, it means you have to hustle and work for yourself, and make things happen. If people around you are making you think that only protesting is legitimate and whining that there aren't jobs and that all banks are evil, then that's not *generational*, that's just them being ignorant, lazy or both.

My under-30 coworker buys, rehabs and rents out buildings on the side. He does not come from money, he just worked hard and smart to get his money working for him. He's not conservative, he's not senile, he's sympathetic to issues like gentrification even though he knows he contributes to it. He accepts responsibility for the risks he takes, but it's just economic truth that if rents fall he gets screwed. So OF COURSE he doesn't want rents to fall. Nobody wants to get screwed. That doesn't mean he's sitting there cackling like Mr. Burns when rents rise fast - in fact, he doesn't raise his rents on good tenants unless he absolutely has to in order to cover costs like rising property taxes or utilities. Most of his profit he's planning for from appreciation or just the long-term paying down of principle.

Another under-30 former coworker left to start his own tech consulting company. He works his butt of for it, and had to borrow money to make it happen. As the costs of the city go up, he has to pay his employees more. He can pass on some of that to clients, but what he can charge and what he has to pay don't always move at the same time. It's a risk he accepts, and understands, and he hopes in the long term he and his employees can do well. But inflation makes it harder. He doesn't demand government support, but he's also not naive enough to think that economic principles don't apply to him.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
Hopefully they remove that hideous mansard roof from the design. So innapropriate on this building
Looks like they might have ditched the silly hat on 1101 S. Wabash.

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/11/17...lan-commission

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ You obviously have almost zero understanding of how the modern economy works.

Most property owners have debts on their properties that rely on rental income. If those debts go into default by rents dropping too low, a whole shitload of properties go underwater. A whole lot of wealth gets erased, banks go into crisis, and lending stops. When lending stops, the economy freezes.

So dropping rents are very bad news.
This is a huge overreaction to a good comment.

Rents dropping a bit is perfectly fine and planned for by good property owners. That sort of thing can benefit the local economy as was suggested. You act like he's suggesting economic collapse. He's not.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 11:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I'm not sure even *you* understand the upcoming generation. One thing the "upcoming generation" is not taking for granted are cushy, pensioned jobs. In order to survive in an economy without that, it means you have to hustle and work for yourself, and make things happen. If people around you are making you think that only protesting is legitimate and whining that there aren't jobs and that all banks are evil, then that's not *generational*, that's just them being ignorant, lazy or both.

My under-30 coworker buys, rehabs and rents out buildings on the side. He does not come from money, he just worked hard and smart to get his money working for him. He's not conservative, he's not senile, he's sympathetic to issues like gentrification even though he knows he contributes to it. He accepts responsibility for the risks he takes, but it's just economic truth that if rents fall he gets screwed. So OF COURSE he doesn't want rents to fall. Nobody wants to get screwed. That doesn't mean he's sitting there cackling like Mr. Burns when rents rise fast - in fact, he doesn't raise his rents on good tenants unless he absolutely has to in order to cover costs like rising property taxes or utilities. Most of his profit he's planning for from appreciation or just the long-term paying down of principle.

Another under-30 former coworker left to start his own tech consulting company. He works his butt of for it, and had to borrow money to make it happen. As the costs of the city go up, he has to pay his employees more. He can pass on some of that to clients, but what he can charge and what he has to pay don't always move at the same time. It's a risk he accepts, and understands, and he hopes in the long term he and his employees can do well. But inflation makes it harder. He doesn't demand government support, but he's also not naive enough to think that economic principles don't apply to him.
i AM this generation, sir

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 11:50 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
i AM this generation, sir
Exactly, but you sure seem to have a narrow view of the world, one that doesn't even accommodate your peers' experience.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 12:12 AM

Could you guys take this discussion elsewhere? It's starting to drag on for too long, and this is a thread for actual news.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 12:46 AM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Why limit construction? It's supply and demand. We all know how insane rents are now. 600sq ft. studios are renting for more than my 3bd home mortgage, including property taxes. If landlords start having trouble filling apartments, it's really quite simple. Drop the rent.

That would benefit the economy nicely, give people more money to spend each month.
I really hate the NIMBY collusion we get where existing property owners try to limit supply to boost their own value.
Apartments are built to make someone or some institution money. The degree of apartment building in Chicago is directly related to the rising rents that we've seen over the past few years. Rents rising FAR faster than inflation or incomes - and those excess dollars are making people money (we invest for public pension funds, and have been having a hay-day with apartments the past few years). Those rents are driving the cap rates down and making investors thirsty to invest in apartments, which is making developers thirsty to develop apartments.

It's all supply and demand at the end of the day of course, but rents have been rising so much that there's a bit of a bubble, or at least historically looking at it rents have gone up more than they rationally should. At some point you have squeezed as much out as you can. Rents will plateau, people will refuse to pay more, and they'll spread out to cheaper areas, or get condos, etc. They will react and do something other than pay ever increasing rents.

That's what we're seeing now - and that's what we should see. The higher the rents go above incomes and inflation the harder the correction, or the more sternly the faucet will be shut off.

When the rents stop going up, the returns on investments will plateau, investors will move on from apartments, developers will turn away as the money dried up, and apartment building will stop. Hopefully it just morphs into condo development, which isn't as lucrative because you don't have investors making money off the cash flows - people own the buildings - so it's only based on what a developer can make regarding sales prices of the units.

Cap rates are not decreasing anymore, rents are not increasing (correlated), investors realize apartments have been squeezed about as much as they can, and THAT'S what will start to reduce the construction of these buildings.

Of course this all changes if you have a constant supply of demand for the new units, but at some point rents have to stop going up SO much, and then it's a trade off of people desperate for new units causing construction, and investors and developers not wanting to build because they aren't getting the returns they want.

It's not as much how many people want an apartment, it's how much people will pay for it.

The other issue is ALL these apartments going up are LUXURY apartments. They're extremely expensive and that's going to be another limiting factor. No one wants to build an apartment for middle class people at middle rates. They want to charge thousands for a unit and get those $$$$ and those high returns. What's crazy is people just keep on ponying up thousands and thousands a month, and developers are getting rich off it all.

I just can't see it going on for more than another year or two. The unique thing in Chicago is all the high paying corporate jobs that downtown keeps hogging away from the suburbs.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 12:48 AM

*edit

Sorry, back to the topic at hand.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 1:11 AM

I haven't seen this posted before. Looks like the 1101 S. Wabash got cleaned up a bit

Also hadn't seen this one of 110 W. Huron

Both are from ChicagoDPD twitter

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 1:40 AM

Anyone know what the percentage of these new housing units (condo/Apts) are being used as Airbnb home away etc....as opposed to actual residence. I know when I go to Chicago the websites are loaded with these. Investors buy them up and do short term rentals...

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster slayer View Post
Anyone know what the percentage of these new housing units (condo/Apts) are being used as Airbnb home away etc....as opposed to actual residence. I know when I go to Chicago the websites are loaded with these. Investors buy them up and do short term rentals...
i can't say for sure, but I can say that here in Wicker Park I would estimate that about 2% of our total housing units are being hawked as vacation rentals a any point in time. Those are for full unit rentals, not crash in my cat's room for fifty.
We'll probably get a better idea when the new ordinance has run for a while.
I suspect we'll find out why he census only shows 87% of the housing occupied in the Central PUMA

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:45 AM
Chicago

Atlantic Bank Building - 168 N Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
(In before Curbed, haha). Not sure if this was talked about, but the 12 story Atlantic Bank Building at 168 N MIchigan Ave was issued a building permit last Tuesday to become a hotel with 210 guest rooms. This was going to be the Hotel Indigo.

The interesting thing is that in May, Curbed had an article (http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/5/12/...uction-resumes) stating that they'd be putting a 4 story addition onto it and it would be 200 rooms. The permit from last week mentions a 5 story addition and 210 rooms, so it looks like things have grown even more since then by 10 rooms and another floor.
November 16, 2016

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:47 AM
Chicago

Simpson Querrey Biomedical Research Center

November 17, 2016

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:48 AM
Chicago

215 W Hubbard

November 17, 2016

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:49 AM
Chicago

8 E Huron

November 17, 2016

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:50 AM
Chicago

Hotel EMC2 - 228 E Ontario

November 17, 2016

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:50 AM
Chicago

640 North Wells

November 17, 2016

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 6:51 AM
Chicago

The Gallery on Wells - 167 W Erie

November 17, 2016

Old Posted Nov 18, 2016, 11:55 AM
Ascension

It's been said before but it bears repeating: That McDonalds needs to go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations