HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 2:33 PM

According to the Paradise council minutes there is a proposal for 22-40 McNamara Dr(adjacent the new shopping center and Paradise Town Hall) for "a mix of high-density housing intended for self-sufficient seniors and commercial/retail uses. "

Which I can I only guess is this area:

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 3:05 PM

Not sure if it was already mentioned but looks like there's something going on the corner of Topsail and Commonwealth next to Vogue Optical. Can't tell if it's retail or office by the render on the billboard.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:21 PM

Here come the NIMBYs...

http://vocm.com/news/kenmount-hill-r...pment-project/

Quote:
Residents of a Mount Pearl neighbourhood are frustrated with a planned development in the area. But the mayor says times and needs have changed since the neighbourhood was established in the 70s and 80s.

The Kenmount Hill development will see a mixture of residential and commercial properties established in the area of Wyatt Boulevard.

A Facebook group called Kenmount Hill Development Project: Concerned Citizens currently has 70 members.

Bernice Evans-Hillier, a member of the group, tells VOCM News that when she moved into the neighbourhood 27 years ago, she was told that the land would never be developed. One particular plan is to run an access road between the community playground and a section of houses. Evans-Hillier says residents are concerned for the safety of children.

Mount Pearl Mayor Dave Aker says the land is owned by multiple parties who are interested in having the land re-zoned for development. He says the city wants to see a diverse mix of neighbourhoods in the area.

A public hearing regarding the matter is set for next Thursday at 7:00 p.m.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 2:38 PM

^ The land would never be developed? Mount Pearl has so little land that you'd have to be a fool to believe that.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
^ The land would never be developed? Mount Pearl has so little land that you'd have to be a fool to believe that.
They were likely told that when the 190 m contour restriction was in place. Things have changed now. Anyways, this is just completely foolish.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:05 PM

Quote:
she was told that the land would never be developed.
Told by who.. likely her real estate agent, that's who.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Also, was it the city that told her the land would never be developed? I have a suspicion that it may have been a developer/realty company that have since sold the land or never owned it to begin with.

If it's not protected land (e.g. watershed) it's only a matter of time before someone wants to develop it. I understand there may be safety concerns but those can be addressed and resolved. Personally, I'm surprised it took 27 years, especially in land starving Mount Pearl. Definitely a bad case of the Nimbism.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 3:35 PM

The new community centre on Messenger Drive that will be part of the Kenmount Terrace Community park.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...26&oe=5C4184F0

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
The new community centre on Messenger Drive that will be part of the Kenmount Terrace Community park.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...26&oe=5C4184F0
The new community centre in Kenmount Terrace looks great. Too bad the road it's on is not joined to Kenmount Terrace.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 12:10 PM

'It will destroy our neighbourhood': Mount Pearl residents blast development plans

Quote:
Proposal aims to turn suburban area into dense, mixed-use neighbourhood

A group of Mount Pearl residents are decrying a proposal to turn an untouched area around Kenmount Hill into a bustling mixed-zone neighbourhood.

In a public hearing Thursday, the city said its plan, which includes conservation zones for the area's wetlands and high-density zones for housing, is "critical" for Mount Pearl's continued growth.

But locals say throwing up stores and busy streets — in one instance, just metres away from a beloved playground — will deteriorate their quality of life in the now-sleepy subdivisions near Wyatt Road.

"It will destroy our neighbourhood," said Bonnie O'Rourke, a resident who said she devoted months to understanding the studies undertaken as part of the city's development scheme.

Chief among her grievances is the addition of collector roads and roundabouts through residential streets.

That design, she said, is a transit-first "densification scheme" better suited for large cities.

"You have metro, and trains, subways, buses," she said. "It's being used in Montreal and Toronto and Calgary and Ottawa. And this is the scheme they want to put on the top of Kenmount Hill."

The city projects traffic in the area to increase by over 3,000 cars a day.

he plan will rezone the low-density area to make way for developments that will allow buildings up to 230 metres in height.

And although residents worry about encroaching on nearby wetlands, the city said it won't allow any construction within 30 metres of a protected area.

Council adopted the plan in early October after what it called an "unprecedented" level of public engagement, which included mailed flyers and newspaper ads.

O'Rourke, in contrast, says the city could have done more to involve locals, criticizing its "lack of due diligence" in informing residents about the proposal.

She expects a final vote in coming weeks.

Suburban dreams, dashed?
Meaghan Keough, a single mother and social worker, lives on one of the three roads targeted for expansion.

She said she dreamed of owning a home on a quiet street for her son, who likes playing ball hockey and hanging out in the communal playground.

Keough said she's not opposed to people "developing on their rightfully-owned land," but fears the proposal has gone overboard.

"They're dismantling one community to build a shiny new one, and we kind of would like our neighbourhood to remain untouched," she said.

"You're tearing apart what we've already created."

O'Rourke, whose speech Thursday drew applause — and multiple requests from residents to give her more time at the podium — had strong words for the city if developers break ground as planned.

"I will absolutely move if this goes ahead," she said. "My house will be for sale."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...hill-1.4879022

Her description sounds lovely to me lol

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 12:30 PM

As it does to me.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
'It will destroy our neighbourhood': Mount Pearl residents blast development plans

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...hill-1.4879022

Her description sounds lovely to me lol
HOLD THE PHONE!!! I just noticed this!

Quote:
The plan will rezone the low-density area to make way for developments that will allow buildings up to 230 metres in height.
The Bow in Calgary is 236 m (774 ft)tall and 58 floors lol .... If this is correct, that is stepping upppp their game haha

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
HOLD THE PHONE!!! I just noticed this!

The Bow in Calgary is 236 m (774 ft)tall and 58 floors lol .... If this is correct, that is stepping upppp their game haha
Funnily enough, I was just reading this article on the cbc website. They've edited that part about 230m buildings to read "The plan will rezone the low-density area to make way for taller developments."

Imagine an actual skyscraper in Newfoundland and in all places on the top of the hill in Mount Pearl!!

"I will absolutely move if this goes ahead," she said. "My house will be for sale."

I have a feeling this will make a lot of area residents pretty happy.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 4:14 PM

Noticed a development permit in the Paradise council meeting agenda for a "5 unit retail plaza" for 1694 Topsail Road (next to the Napa Autopro service station alongside Ocatagon pond).

http://www.paradise.ca/en/town-hall/...lic-Agenda.pdf

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Noticed a development permit in the Paradise council meeting agenda for a "5 unit retail plaza" for 1694 Topsail Road (next to the Napa Autopro service station alongside Ocatagon pond).

http://www.paradise.ca/en/town-hall/...lic-Agenda.pdf
Just checked Google Maps and it looks like there's a house at that current location. Seems like a strange spot to build a 5 unit retail plaza.... hmmm.

I also noticed a permit for a medical cannabis production facility at 1956 Topsail Rd. I believe that's directly across the street from the Woodstock Restaurant.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Just checked Google Maps and it looks like there's a house at that current location. Seems like a strange spot to build a 5 unit retail plaza.... hmmm.
Yeah it is a weird spot. I thought it might have been related to Paradise Plaza at first but that is a different address.

It does look like the land goes back a bit so I'm guessing they are demolishing the house and leveling the land so it is on the same level as the NAPA garage. I'm assuming it will only be a mini strip mall type thing...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2018, 4:09 PM

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b7&oe=5C649DA3

Not easy getting a pic of that retirement/office complex that Cahill is building off Waterford Bridge Road behind their current Towers complex. I didnt want to drive onto the construction lot for fear of tire damage plus security are always buzzing about. Anyway, Ggot this shot from the Bay Bulls Road intersection by the bridge over Waterford Bridge Road. Looks like its gonna be a pretty solid building with all the poured concrete. Somewhere on the Skyscraper site are some concept drawings of it I think.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 4:17 PM

Cahill is now advertising their new retirement home that is being built right behind and above The Towers Corporate Campus at Waterford Valley. It is called The Residence at Littledale. Web link is littledale.ca

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...21&oe=5C92D881

Old Posted Jan 11, 2019, 7:31 PM

Karwood Market recently approved to build a gym?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_1 View Post
Karwood Market recently approved to build a gym?
According to the council minutes yeah. Actually noticed what looked to be a truck pouring concrete in that area(across from Robin's Donuts) yesterday.

Though in the concept plan for Karwood Makert there is nothing specifically mentioned about a gym:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ok+%282%29.pdf

That being said Paradise is kind of lacking in gym's so it may be a good idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's