HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 5:35 PM

201 Portage lobby/main floor entrance and new BMO space renovation project well underway. Going by the project title Transform 201.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 5:47 PM

Nice to see work underway on the lobby. I always thought 201 Portage had a perplexingly modest and closed-in lobby for what is a fairly flashy landmark office tower... it's more along the lines of what you would expect to see at the bottom of the 10-ish storey buildings that line St. Mary Ave and Broadway. One Canada Centre's lobby blows away 201 Portage. This project will up the building's game somewhat and that's nice to see. I just hope the renovated part doesn't clash too much with the original elements of the tower.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 7:58 PM

i'm gonna miss the POMO pink tiles and dark green marble accents, though guess i'll have to swing by portage place more to see that kind of stuff.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 9:00 PM

Not sure the best thread for this but next week the public service will be recommending a 75 cent/hour reduction in parking meter costs across the board.

I never saw any announcement on this either but today I noticed a sticker on all the meters saying the first hour is free Mon-Fri now, assuming it's for COVID. This is separate from the temporary loading zones for deliveries the BIZs made.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Not sure the best thread for this but next week the public service will be recommending a 75 cent/hour reduction in parking meter costs across the board.

I never saw any announcement on this either but today I noticed a sticker on all the meters saying the first hour is free Mon-Fri now, assuming it's for COVID. This is separate from the temporary loading zones for deliveries the BIZs made.
You can find more details on the parking rate reduction here (item 4 on the agenda): http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 2:31 PM

Did anyone see the article about 1 Wellington condo for sale asking $3.5 million. It was owned by Asper, but who is the current owner? Sorry the link is probably paywall.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...570911342.html

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 2:39 PM

Here's the listing, it looks nice. If the value was a little less I would consider it... like 3 million and change less.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...g-crescentwood

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Did anyone see the article about 1 Wellington condo for sale asking $3.5 million. It was owned by Asper, but who is the current owner? Sorry the link is probably paywall.

Rich people have the worst taste. It's so gaudy.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post

Quote:
It was sold to current owners Robert and Marta Harris in 2015 for $1.7 million, according to a property title search
From the global news article on it

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:28 PM

So they think it's worth over double in 3 years? That's a nice return.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no use for username View Post
I wouldn't have expected an old school guy like Asper to do the modern minimalist thing 20 years ago... not many people were into that.

I'm sure the craftsmanship is top notch but not too many people in the under 60 crowd are going to be feeling that kind of ornate, somewhat over the top design.

That's the tricky thing with super high end custom homes... people with the money to buy it also have the money to do whatever they want to suit their tastes. It could end up being a bit like the big mansion at 1063 Wellington that was on the market for years at something like $11 million... did anyone end up buying it? Anyway, I believe that was the site of Izzy's old house before he moved into the condo and it was replaced by the current residence.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no use for username View Post
I agree, and also from looking at other rich people listings here and there.

This statement also makes me think of the book Brave New World, where the different classes of people are conditioned to dislike the habits and tastes of the other classes. What would be a minimum wage worker would be conditioned to hate things of the doctor lawyer class would like and vice versa. But the thing is, we don't need to be conditioned, do we? The elites have a much different taste bud. That's gaudy as hell and I'd rip it out posthaste if I had the billions to throw around... Or would I? Maybe I'd like it?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:44 AM

What I'm anxious for the most at 201 Portage is how it looks from the corner of P&M.

And having said that, the "Pride" painted barricades were a nice "lipstick on a pig" touch last year, but they sure look like absolute hell now along with the crumbling concrete and exposed re-bar. So dumpy...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:53 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wouldn't have expected an old school guy like Asper to do the modern minimalist thing 20 years ago... not many people were into that.

I'm sure the craftsmanship is top notch but not too many people in the under 60 crowd are going to be feeling that kind of ornate, somewhat over the top design.

That's the tricky thing with super high end custom homes... people with the money to buy it also have the money to do whatever they want to suit their tastes. It could end up being a bit like the big mansion at 1063 Wellington that was on the market for years at something like $11 million... did anyone end up buying it? Anyway, I believe that was the site of Izzy's old house before he moved into the condo and it was replaced by the current residence.
Style is always subjective. If I change my mindset I can just see it in a different way.

1063 is not sold yet, I just checked. It seems that super high-end custom things, not limiting to real estate, always have difficulty selling fast, and sometimes high resale value is not guaranteed. Understandably one would like to have it very akin to his or her own taste, not something left over by someone else

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
And having said that, the "Pride" painted barricades were a nice "lipstick on a pig" touch last year, but they sure look like absolute hell now along with the crumbling concrete and exposed re-bar. So dumpy...
The obvious solution, of course, is to tear down the barricades....

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 6:18 PM

The Winnipeg Hotel will indeed be torn down next year, it's not salvageable. Facade will be attempted to be kept for a new building that sounds quite awesome, can't say anything yet though.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The Winnipeg Hotel will indeed be torn down next year, it's not salvageable. Facade will be attempted to be kept for a new building that sounds quite awesome, can't say anything yet though.
Good if the facade can be saved. Looking forward to some renders.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 8:19 PM

Likely a loooong way away

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 8:21 PM

As long as the facade doesn't look all funky and disconnected from the new build. It's not a glorious show piece and will nice to be maintained. But if it went away, I personally would not be overly upset.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
As long as the facade doesn't look all funky and disconnected from the new build. It's not a glorious show piece and will nice to be maintained. But if it went away, I personally would not be overly upset.
It's one thing if you can renovate the whole building, but there is nothing really that amazing about the Winnipeg's facade. I'd prefer all new over an awkward mashup of new and old as we saw at Centrepoint.

But certainly positive news that things seem to be moving forward there. The western stretch of south Main is really coming along now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan