HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
According to the council minutes yeah. Actually noticed what looked to be a truck pouring concrete in that area(across from Robin's Donuts) yesterday.

Though in the concept plan for Karwood Makert there is nothing specifically mentioned about a gym:

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...ok+%282%29.pdf

That being said Paradise is kind of lacking in gym's so it may be a good idea.
Is this part of the current development by Sobeys on Topsal road ? or something different all together?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslue View Post
Is this part of the current development by Sobeys on Topsal road ? or something different all together?
Different all together. This is in the area near the roundabout of Kenmount Rd and Karwood Dr.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Noticed a development permit in the Paradise council meeting agenda for a "5 unit retail plaza" for 1694 Topsail Road (next to the Napa Autopro service station alongside Ocatagon pond).

http://www.paradise.ca/en/town-hall/...lic-Agenda.pdf
Trees have been cleared and there is a billboard up there now with a render of a 5 unit retail plaza on it. Says "Summer 2019" on it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:44 PM

The "Gym" Building in Paradise at Karwood Market had the roof lifted on yesterday. Still no information on the project. Could be a MAX unlikely a Good Life

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 12:59 PM

Quick update. Main level to be a privately owned Gym. Not Good Life or Max. Second level to be sub-divided into 4-5 units for various tenants

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 12:53 PM

Paradise Retail Plaza (Former ACAN)

[QUOTE=goodgrowth;8161643]Paradise retail plaza at former ACAN site more than just gas bar and convenience store - developer:
http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...eloper-203462/

Read in recent Shoreline paper that due to delays in dealing with Winter construction, Openings of business already announced:

Dollarama; Shoppers Drug Mart; Starbucks; East Side Marios; Gas Bar

Has been pushed back to late Summer/early Fall 2019. Property management has a list of additional clients wanting to enter this plaza with announcement on this coming in May 2019.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 2:37 PM

[QUOTE=Tocchet22;8510695]
Quote:
Paradise retail plaza at former ACAN site more than just gas bar and convenience store - developer:
http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...eloper-203462/

Read in recent Shoreline paper that due to delays in dealing with Winter construction, Openings of business already announced:

Dollarama; Shoppers Drug Mart; Starbucks; East Side Marios; Gas Bar

Has been pushed back to late Summer/early Fall 2019. Property management has a list of additional clients wanting to enter this plaza with announcement on this coming in May 2019.
It's not surprised as pretty much any development here is always delayed. I've noticed the progress over the winter and it seems to be going well. Given this has been a very cold winter I think construction crews have done a great job.

I'm counting down the days for the new roundabout. From my experience, a lot of drivers run red lights at Topsail-McNamara intersection. Both my wife and I (in two separate events) have almost been t-boned by drivers running red lights. I don't go through that intersection without fully surveying the area now. I've gotten a few horns honked at me from impatient drivers... but I'm more than happy to quietly ignore them and get home safe and sound!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 3:52 PM

[QUOTE=statbass;8510796]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocchet22 View Post

It's not surprised as pretty much any development here is always delayed. I've noticed the progress over the winter and it seems to be going well. Given this has been a very cold winter I think construction crews have done a great job.

I'm counting down the days for the new roundabout. From my experience, a lot of drivers run red lights at Topsail-McNamara intersection. Both my wife and I (in two separate events) have almost been t-boned by drivers running red lights. I don't go through that intersection without fully surveying the area now. I've gotten a few horns honked at me from impatient drivers... but I'm more than happy to quietly ignore them and get home safe and sound!
Yeah progress seems to be going pretty steady. Seems like there's 4 buildings that have been worked on for the time being.

One thing I do notice though is that there is no indication of gas pumps going in where the renders had showed them to be going....even though that area now has asphalt already fully covering it.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 11:44 AM

It looks to me as if the Dollarama at former ACAN retail centre is open. I drove past it this weekend and signage is up. It looked as if it were fully stocked and there were many cars in the parking area. It could have been staff training/working. Either way, if it's not already open it looks like it will be very soon.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 12:15 PM

ALRE Properties - Paradise Retail

Announcement from owner for additional retailers in Paradise is scheduled for this month. Website below there is a rendering of site building layout(not that user friendly having to scroll through retail portfolio...scroll to left for Newfoundland). Anyone able to determine which business, previously announced, is going where??

Also has another property listed for "Terre-Neuve". New BMO location on Water Street/Bishops Cove. Looks to be going in existing parking lot next to Blue on Water/across from Mill Street.

http://www.alreproperties.ca/

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Announcement from owner for additional retailers in Paradise is scheduled for this month. Website below there is a rendering of site building layout(not that user friendly having to scroll through retail portfolio...scroll to left for Newfoundland). Anyone able to determine which business, previously announced, is going where??

Also has another property listed for "Terre-Neuve". New BMO location on Water Street/Bishops Cove. Looks to be going in existing parking lot next to Blue on Water/across from Mill Street.

http://www.alreproperties.ca/
I just panned through the website and I agree, it is a little difficult to navigate. Starbucks will be going into the building left of the gas station. They have signs in the windows of that building. Other than the Dollarama I'm not sure what's going where. The large building on the right hand side of the plan is not started yet. May be the Shoppers location?? Seems like a pretty big spot. My guess for the building closest to the roundabout is East Side Mario's. There looks to be an additional 5-6 spaces for more retail.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
...Also has another property listed for "Terre-Neuve". New BMO location on Water Street/Bishops Cove. Looks to be going in existing parking lot next to Blue on Water/across from Mill Street.
It would be great to see something on that site (parking is a waste of valuable space) but a glass bank is a bit boring. Would prefer to see something with a bit more brick/stone rather than the glass

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 5:04 PM

On another note, Paradise Plaza - the spot that burned down on Topsail Rd a couple months ago - has been completed gutted and cleaned. I also heard that the building owner has plans to rebuild. Can't remember if I read that or heard by word of mouth. No timelines on the rebuild though - not that I heard of anyway. Anyone have additional information on this?

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 1:26 PM

The construction on Karwood-Kenmount roundabout is to add another access point. I know there's a church going into the area by the new access point. Not sure if this will just be entry/exit to the church or a new street connecting to Karwood subdivision. I know a lot of traffic gets hung up there in the morning by the school.

https://www.paradise.ca/en/live/reso...ay-10-2019.png

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:24 PM

Access for the new church

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
The construction on Karwood-Kenmount roundabout is to add another access point. I know there's a church going into the area by the new access point. Not sure if this will just be entry/exit to the church or a new street connecting to Karwood subdivision. I know a lot of traffic gets hung up there in the morning by the school.

https://www.paradise.ca/en/live/reso...ay-10-2019.png

This is the access for the new Church

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_1 View Post
This is the access for the new Church
They're building new churches these days?

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
They're building new churches these days?
I know, it seems a bit out of the norm. I think this church used to exist on Kenmount Rd but was bought and converted to the Model Shop when they re-located from downtown. So not really a new church - depends on how you define it I guess.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 11:46 AM

I'd forgotten about that one - church of any kind isn't on my radar.

Old Posted May 25, 2019, 8:03 PM

Nice to see them at least diverting traffic into the roundabout to keep things efficient.

It's a major fail in my opinion that the new Paradise Plaza wont connect to the new Topsail/McNamara roundabout. Instead you have all that left turning traffic 50m down the road in both directions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's