HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger View Post
well, it depends on what you call "small". I know that at Polo Park and St. Vital (The one at Kildonen Place doesn't have male clothing for whatever reason), approximately one quarter of the store is devoted to men, but the logic is simple: Dressy men wear suits, sweaters, ties, and dress shirts. These require little space for display and even less space for storage whereas dressy females wear dresses which cannot be folded and stacked, unlike male clothing.
And well lets be honest, the market for females is slightly larger.

Also, if you go to the outlet off of Keneston, it is much bigger and much cheaper.
keniston screw that crap i refuse to shop there

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
keniston screw that crap i refuse to shop there
Your individualism will never make a difference unless widely mimicked by a larger population. The fact is people love suburban outlets and will continue to shop there. If you hate what they have to offer in terms of goods, that is acceptable. However, if you hate it solely for the fact that it is "suburban" and "big box"-like, then you're only harming yourself if that is the only reason restraining you from purchasing goods there.

It takes a collective community to influence corporate impact, so as long as you are a minority, nothing will ever change and you're only depriving yourself. (assuming you only refuse to shop there to prove a point) Of course, this condescending logic could be applied to any number of general cases, by which we nor I would like to hear due to it's depressing nature, however I feel rather opinionated right now.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 6:30 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Your individualism will never make a difference unless widely mimicked by a larger population. The fact is people love suburban outlets and will continue to shop there. If you hate what they have to offer in terms of goods, that is acceptable. However, if you hate it solely for the fact that it is "suburban" and "big box"-like, then you're only harming yourself if that is the only reason restraining you from purchasing goods there.

It takes a collective community to influence corporate impact, so as long as you are a minority, nothing will ever change and you're only depriving yourself. (assuming you only refuse to shop there to prove a point) Of course, this condescending logic could be applied to any number of general cases, by which we nor I would like to hear due to it's depressing nature, however I feel rather opinionated right now.
lol i hate keniston cause a its suburban B its next to imposible to get to

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 4:26 PM
BANNED

When talking world class, location has to be entered into the mix, unfortunately we are not situated next to an ocean, lake, mountains, forest etc.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:17 PM
Armchair urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
When talking world class, location has to be entered into the mix, unfortunately we are not situated next to an ocean, lake, mountains, forest etc.
I like the Red and Assiniboine rivers, but I agree, not enough land features within the city. The province is beautiful as a whole though.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:33 PM
I Like It When You Hit Me

Change starts with one strong voice.

I echo iajs's feelings. I'd say there IS a community of people that actively avoid suburban malls + big box outlets.

And no, I don't "harm" myself by not shopping at suburban outlets. That is ridiculous. I can get whatever I want online, when I'm in other cities, or downtown. By shopping there you enable those developments, allowing those businesses to make more money. If I want businesses downtown, I need to shop downtown and support downtown.

One dollar = one vote.

And I refuse to vote for Kenaston & McGilvary, or its ilk.

Quote:

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 7:02 PM

I guess when shopping online you are voting against Winnipeg retailers as well. I wonder how that helps the local economy.......

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post

I echo iajs's feelings. I'd say there IS a community of people that actively avoid suburban malls + big box outlets.

And no, I don't "harm" myself by not shopping at suburban outlets. That is ridiculous. I can get whatever I want online, when I'm in other cities, or downtown. By shopping there you enable those developments, allowing those businesses to make more money. If I want businesses downtown, I need to shop downtown and support downtown.

One dollar = one vote.

I would have to agree with Grumpy old man, regarding the fact that "getting whatever you want online" destroys the entire argument about supporting "local" businesses. If you are really trying to help those local business' downtown, you would purchase solely from them.

I can understand the logic behind the disdain for suburban big bog retailers as it is generally very consumptious and individualistic in itself, yet if you are going to go "all out" and completely put an embargo on even going near there, then you should adhere to your original doctrine and purchase only from "local business'" otherwise the whole leading by example breaks down.

Obviously if you are using the internet to purchase goods, your local business' are lacking some of the provisions you need seeing that you can't get them there. In this case, how is it any better than going to a suburban outlet? You're saving the environment by not driving twenty minutes? Bike there if you're so concerned because the package delivery truck consumes fuel too.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:08 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
One dollar = one vote
Unfortunately based on the current status of The Bay downtown and Eaton's the populous has already voted.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:13 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

One dollar = one vote.

if theres 1 store downtown needs realy bad its a hardware store..........

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Canadian Tire was just outside downtown on Notre Dame and Isabel, but they turned it into an auto parts store.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:19 PM
BANNED

IMO, Winnipeg will never be a world class city until one thing happens....

NHL hockey returns!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:48 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
What's wrong with Pollack Hardware?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Not even close to downtown

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 10:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

nothing i shop there myself

its just so far out of my way there used o be doners on main beside where kern hill used to be now that was handy and then there was the lumber yard on sotherland beside southerland suply bothe gone and the lumber store that used to be on higgins half my kitch has lumber from the yard that was on higgins and my bathrooms have fixtures from southerland supply (still around just not on southerland anymore)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Canadian Tire was just outside downtown on Notre Dame and Isabel, but they turned it into an auto parts store.
The reason they did that was the existing store was too small, and their expansion plans got quashed by the community.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 8:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

there was nothing wrong with the store size it just didnt fit their corprat model anymore witch is sad

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 8:42 AM

Quote:
there was nothing wrong with the store size it just didnt fit their corprat model anymore witch is sad
Exactly. It was too small for the corporate model.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 1:32 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Canadian Tire actually WANTED to expand the location on Norte Dame.

However the community stopped that from happening, so they left.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 2:36 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Canadian Tire actually WANTED to expand the location on Norte Dame.

However the community stopped that from happening, so they left.
That's what happened, I really wanted to see a big store there. Sometimes being anti-development is quite harmful.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan