HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Sounds like you’re describing the living conditions on some of the reserves around here. Not much different at all. There are Canadians who don’t have running water.
I find it funny that you choose to compare life in Canada with only the lives of poor people in rural China. How would Canada compare with Korea or Japan? The technologies and quality of life in those countries is far beyond ours. The reality is Canada is falling behind and we can see this just by looking at our healthcare system. People are having life transforming surgeries in Thailand (See Humboldt broncos player who is no longer paralyzed) People from Canada are going to India, Thailand, and Mexico for surgeries. People in Asia are spearheading research and development, we’re over here building new offices for bureaucrats. Has it ever taken Korea or Japan, over ten years to build a wing of a hospital?
I grew up in a town/reserve hydro/fishing community. The first house I lived in had:
- only a wood stove for heat
- 6mil poly covered single pane windows
- just enough power for an oven, a couple lamps, and a small tv
- no plumbing, but we were lucky, the community well was at the end of the mud driveway
- outhouse for most of the year
- the coldest months, my tiny sleeping quarters doubled as the "slop pail" room (5 gal pal with a toilet seat). Don't worry, didn't stink too bad with the bleach base.

5 year old me didn't know any better. Simple and good life out there in basically the wilderness in what amounted to a basic cabin. Not sure how long I could handle that now though, lol.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:04 PM

Last night 3 out of the five vehicles in my yard were broken into. YAY! I live on a dead end road next to birds hill park. Bastards stole change, tools and keys, several of my neighbours were hit too. They left the doors of the vehicles open and now they are full of snow. FUCKING BASTARDS. Got hit in the summer too, had jerry cans full of gas go missing from my shed, same with my neighbour. Crime is everywhere in this shit province.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:15 PM
the first stamp is free

Sucks, but it happens.

On our street, if you leave a car parked with the doors open, there is a 50/50 percent chance it will be rummaged through (I have an older vehicle, so there are times where I forget to physically lock each door).

Basically we have learned to keep nothing of value in my cars. Ever.

It's shitty, but that's what you need to do. Losing spare change is annoying but not a big deal. Keep everything else out of your car.

Also, it's likely who ever hit you previously, is the same person(s) this time. Especially given your out-of-the way location. Likely not a random passer through.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:21 PM

^^^Time for motion detector(s) attached to some bright lights.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:23 PM

I find the level of dedication and industriousness of the car-scavengers around here to be just staggering. I am usually pretty good about locking my car, not keeping valuables inside, etc. But on one extremely cold night some years back, I came home from the supermarket and in my rush to get inside the house, I failed to lock the car sitting in my driveway off the backlane. This was one of those nights with a windchill of below -40, the type where you just don’t want to venture outside. The next morning, I went outside and sure enough someone had rummaged through the car. Probably made off with a buck or two in shopping cart coins, but I was just amazed that someone would go around in that weather checking cars to see if they’re locked.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Last night 3 out of the five vehicles in my yard were broken into. YAY! I live on a dead end road next to birds hill park. Bastards stole change, tools and keys, several of my neighbours were hit too. They left the doors of the vehicles open and now they are full of snow. FUCKING BASTARDS. Got hit in the summer too, had jerry cans full of gas go missing from my shed, same with my neighbour. Crime is everywhere in this shit province.
Man that really sucks, by product of our soft on crime, unequal justice for the entitled segment of the population.

Used to get vehicles checked frequently in my neighbourhood but the guy that was the lure for attracting thieves by continually leaving his vehicle unlocked moved away, slim pickings now as most park their vehicles in garages.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 5:38 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I find the level of dedication and industriousness of the car-scavengers around here to be just staggering. I am usually pretty good about locking my car, not keeping valuables inside, etc. But on one extremely cold night some years back, I came home from the supermarket and in my rush to get inside the house, I failed to lock the car sitting in my driveway off the backlane. This was one of those nights with a windchill of below -40, the type where you just don’t want to venture outside. The next morning, I went outside and sure enough someone had rummaged through the car. Probably made off with a buck or two in shopping cart coins, but I was just amazed that someone would go around in that weather checking cars to see if they’re locked.
I honestly think there are people who have a regular rummaging route, so to speak.

They walk up and down the streets and probably get themselves $10 to $20 a night. Plus random shit to pawn off.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2020, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I honestly think there are people who have a regular rummaging route, so to speak.

They walk up and down the streets and probably get themselves $10 to $20 a night. Plus random shit to pawn off.
Meth is the drug of choice for these skells, at $6-7 bucks a hit for a drug that keeps them high for 12 hours it doesn't take much to buy your fix!

The cost to society for the scourge of meth is enormous, anyone caught dealing or distributing should be severely punished but who am I kidding its Canada and soft on crime is what we do best!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 8:54 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Buses slipping in the rutted roads today due to the snow storm.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 10:23 PM

Hey all, sorry if this is an inappropriate place to post something like this, but...

Can anybody recommend a good landscape architect (or more likely a design/builder) to work on a small-scale residential landscaping project? Job would include some hard-scaping and soft-scaping, and potentially a screened gazebo/patio. I already have a pretty good idea of what I want to do, but I need someone who can work out the fine details and create a proper set of drawings.

Sorry again if this is misplaced, but I know there are lots of architects on here.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 10:37 PM

Scatliff Miller Murray would be good recommendation. They are not a design/builder. But a good urban design, landscape design consultant.

Same with McGowan Russell. Both very good. You may have heard of both of those companies through various City projects.

Probably not the cheapest option and I'm not sure how small of a project you're looking at.

JD Penner would be a contractor that I would think also does planning. But they're just off the top of my head. I'm not sure whom the best contractor would be.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 12:32 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Keith Lemkey at Lemkey Landscaping.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 2:21 PM

I appreciate the suggestions—thanks.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:10 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
I appreciate the suggestions—thanks.
https://www.folksbuild.com/

This is who you should call.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I filled out a survey recently that asked about my interests as it relates to Winnipeg ie. sports, arts, leisure activities. About half-way through there were some statements regarding Dreamscape and what it would entail - 500 acre mostly indoor facility with shopping, water park, amusement park, hotels, golf, aquarium. I was then asked a series of questions including what I would be most interested in.

I guess the "dream" of Dreamscape is still alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
^^^
500 acres is a lot of space.

Think 5x the size of The Forks, including Shaw Park.
This morning I went from viewing YouTube videos from Economic Development Winnipeg to Tourism Winnipeg. On the Tourism channel they had favourited the Dreamscape Winnipeg channel.

Wondering whether Dreamscape is a dream or possibility of ever becoming a reality.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCye...792avPoGSvtzag

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 12:26 AM
BANNED

how low will winnipeg landlords be allowed to go before the city does something

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pses-dies.html

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 6:51 AM

Should have called Sussex directly after caretaker's first reaction. I guess his vet hasn't lived much on his own in his life.

Also, why was there an unpatched hole in his ceiling? Not only did that transport blood from the suite above but also various insects travel between suites that way.

I'm in a Sussex block and a few months ago when there were problems with our elevator and was on a Saturday night I called their after hours emergency line. The elevator was adjusted a few days later.

Last edited by LilZebra; Feb 20, 2020 at 7:03 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Really smoky in NK from fire on Provencher!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 1:52 PM

With the market tanking and massive selloffs happening, people should really be considering leveraging assets to invest. If you are able to get access to capital now would be the time to start putting it to work for you.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
With the market tanking and massive selloffs happening, people should really be considering leveraging assets to invest. If you are able to get access to capital now would be the time to start putting it to work for you.
The issue is properly timing the bottom. Obviously there will be some gains to be had long term, short term I don't think this is the worst of it yet. This virus hasn't peaked in the US and there will be further shut downs. The economy is not moving if people are at home not working and not spending money. We could also see a second wave in China once they start opening for business once again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan