HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 12:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollswpg View Post
I can honestly say I don't agree with your stance on drugs, but there's no point in us arguing about that because I know that we'll just argue until the cows come home and neither of us will change our opinion.

But you have to understand that the police are the police, not the law makers. Police are there to enforce the law that's already in place, not make or change laws themselves. I understand what you're saying, but change like that isn't made through the police service, it's made through politics. As we all know, Winnipeg is a violent city. Future-Chief Clunis will have a lot on his plate as it is, and political activist isn't part of his job description.
why is there no point in arguing? why won't you change your opinion? that's pretty close-minded, isn't it?

if people with the authority to enforce those laws spoke against these archaic laws, it might help some a lot of our and their problems.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 12:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
As long as he does a good job
That's going to be difficult considering his budget constraints and limited resources. If only there was a way of freeing up some time and money...

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 5:05 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 8:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 1:52 PM
Transit Nerd

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...174720861.html

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Tear gas from prison hits school
Makes 35 students and two teachers ill

By: Nick Martin

Quote:
Thirty-five children and two teachers went home ill from Stony Mountain School on Wednesday after tear gas from a training exercise drifted from the neighbouring prison.
"At 8:30 a.m., some of the kids came in and complained that their eyes were irritated and there was a funny smell," Interlake School Division superintendent Ross Metcalfe said.
Metcalfe said paramedics checked out the children before letting them go home.
Stony Mountain Institution media relations spokesman Chris McLauchlan confirmed staff had conducted routine tear-gas grenade training in an outside area on the prison property about 500 metres from the school.
"We've been doing this for more than 10 years and we've never had an incident before," McLauchlan said.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 9:33 PM
I am a typical

House Explodes

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/241579/House-explodes
By Leith Dunick, tbnewswatch.com

A Thunder Bay man is lucky to be alive after an explosion ripped through his St. Clair Avenue home early Thursday morning.

One man was sent to hospital with undetermined injuries as a result of the blast, and firefighters quickly contained the situation after arriving on scene shortly after 4:30 a.m.

Nordlund said the extent of the damage -- a large window hangs from a tree in the home's front yard, a leather couch rests in the next-door-neighbour's driveway and a mangled door frame lies in crushed glass on the street some 30 metres from the home where the explosion occurred -- suggests the victim should count his blessings he wasn't killed.

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/241579/House-explodes

First comment on that story:

Quote:
I live three houses down from this house. I was up when it happened. The house DID NOT explode. It did go up fast however. There was no board thrown into another house. Nothing like that at all happened. The fire wasn't even that big. It was out as soon as it started. The neighbor they interviewed is crazy and exaggerates everything.

I really love the internet!

He is right though, the house didn't explode. It popped.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 12:58 AM
BANNED

Devon Clunis' plan to fight crime: prayer.

http://www.christianweek.org/stories.php?id=2145

Quote:
"I'm a little tired of us…being '[the] murder capital of Canada,'" says Devon Clunis, who was appointed chief of police at the beginning of October. "People consistently say, 'How are you going to solve that?' It's not simply going to be because we're going to go out there and police it away. I truly believe that prayer will be a significant piece of that."

Last edited by headhorse; Oct 21, 2012 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 1:41 AM
I am a typical

Re-introducing aboriginal offenders to their traditional beliefs does help a lot of them rebuild their lives and get out of the system, but I am guessing that since he is Christian and building club membership numbers is their main goal, he isn't referring to that kind of thing...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Re-introducing aboriginal offenders to their traditional beliefs does help a lot of them rebuild their lives and get out of the system, but I am guessing that since he is Christian and building club membership numbers is their main goal, he isn't referring to that kind of thing...
Building club membership numbers? Could you elaborate on that point please?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:01 AM
I am a typical

Trying to get other people to believe in God and the "good news" of Jesus. In my eyes, they're basically just running around, getting people to sign up to their message board so that they can flaunt their numbers at the other religions. It's like a contest and whoever has the highest number can claim to be the truth with the most ease.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 6:47 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Devon Clunis' plan to fight crime: prayer.

http://www.christianweek.org/stories.php?id=2145
Ah yes. The Bon Jovi system of crime deterrence. "whoah, we're half way there, whoah-oh, livin on a prayer. Take my hand, we'll make it I swear."

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 1:26 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Trying to get other people to believe in God and the "good news" of Jesus. In my eyes, they're basically just running around, getting people to sign up to their message board so that they can flaunt their numbers at the other religions. It's like a contest and whoever has the highest number can claim to be the truth with the most ease.

I know Devon personally.

I can assure you, that is not the case.

Thanks for elaborating on your uninformed stereotypes.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:11 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I know Devon personally.

I can assure you, that is not the case.
Well that's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Thanks for elaborating on your uninformed stereotypes.
Thank you for calling my experiences uninformed. I'll be sure to alter my perception of reality to fit your worldview next time someone tells me to accept Jesus. I'll replace the word Jesus with "these delightful macaroons" and have myself a splendid evening indeed.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Well that's good.

Thank you for calling my experiences uninformed. I'll be sure to alter my perception of reality to fit your worldview next time someone tells me to accept Jesus. I'll replace the word Jesus with "these delightful macaroons" and have myself a splendid evening indeed.
I go to Devon's Church, and that is not at all our "Goal". That is extremely rude and very stereotypical. Christians are people as well. Your views on us Believers are, as H0twired said extremely skewed, ignorant and borderline discriminating.
I would expect more from you Vid, and the rest of you poking fun at an extremely intelligent, and down to earth man, especially based on his beliefs.
If he was a Muslim would you be crying terrorist, because your commenting with a lack of information suggests that you like to perpetuate false stereotypes without actually taking the time to understand the information you are spreading around.
Have you ever been to Kilcona Park Alliance Church? Have you talked to the members of our Congregation? Have you read our Statement of Faith? And most importantly, have you ever talked to Devon? I am guessing no. And until you do, every negative statement you make can be taken as nothing but utter rubbish.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Well that's good.

So when someone shares their worldviews with you that is suddenly assumed to be a form of mass propaganda?
So 1 or 2, maybe even a handful of people have tried to inform you about how they see the world, and suddenly every Christian is a Republican extremist with a limited perception of the world, trying to sway your decision.
I am guessing that you have only had a limited experience with believers. Because I don't know anyone who would try and "Force you" into believing anything.
Christians tend to talk about Jesus on a regular basis, because as every individual on the planet, we like to discuss what we are most passionate about.
Devon is not trying to convert people here. Remember this is a Christian Magazine, read normally by Christians. He is trying to shed light on the fact that even though he has been blessed with an extreme responsibility he plans to stick to his roots, and not forget his beliefs.
We live in Canada, we should be more open to this fact than I have seen. Remember -even though I hate to call it Religion- we live in a Country with human rights, and one of those rights is Freedom of Religion.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 6:21 PM
I am a typical

Someone telling me that they are Christian, and someone telling me that I should be Christian with them, are two different things. Someone saying that he is Christian, and someone saying that he plans to incorporate Christianity into public policies that he affects, are also two different things.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Someone telling me that they are Christian, and someone telling me that I should be Christian with them, are two different things. Someone saying that he is Christian, and someone saying that he plans to incorporate Christianity into public policies that he affects, are also two different things.
I don't think it says anywhere that he is going to incorporate prayer into his cooperate policy. I do however believe that he was making it known that he plans to pray on the matters that have been discussed. Make no mistake, that to him is very important. Remember this is a Christian magazine. So the message of prayer will be the focus of the article.
Why spin this in the wrong way?

One major flaw in your argument is that he suggested that "...all religious stripes..." pray for success in this matter. To him the goal is solving the issue of crime within the city. It isn't to impose his believes on others. But while highlighting faith he is trying to allow those who use prayer as a mechanism (whether ridiculous to others or not) to do so. Why should that bother those who don't pray? He didn't say, "We are going to sit in a room from now until my term is up and pray this away." To him (and myself) it is just another mechanism -on top of the numerous others- to fight crime. If it doesn't affect you, than why does it bother you so much?

Quote:
"What would happen if we all just truly—I'm talking about all religious stripes here—started praying for the peace of this city and then actually started putting some action behind that?"

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 8:42 PM

Quote:
I don't see where Clunis ever said that he was going to incorporate Christianity into public policy. It sounds like his private life involves a significant degree of dedication to Christianity, and I do not see how it could be construed as inappropriate conduct if he decides to pray by himself or with like-minded people during his off hours.

It may be offside to incorporate Christianity (or any sort of religion) directly into public policy, but there is certainly plenty of precedent for religion as a motivating factor. For the most obvious example, look no further than the NDP's connection to medicare - without the social gospel contingent driven by the Christian desire to improve the quality of life for the poor and working classes, medicare as we know it might not exist today. Would anyone describe medicare as an inappropriate policy choice on the basis that many of its early supporters were Christians who saw this as a way to advance their own worldviews?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 9:09 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I don't see where Clunis ever said that he was going to incorporate Christianity into public policy. It sounds like his private life involves a significant degree of dedication to Christianity, and I do not see how it could be construed as inappropriate conduct if he decides to pray by himself or with like-minded people during his off hours.

It may be offside to incorporate Christianity (or any sort of religion) directly into public policy, but there is certainly plenty of precedent for religion as a motivating factor. For the most obvious example, look no further than the NDP's connection to medicare - without the social gospel contingent driven by the Christian desire to improve the quality of life for the poor and working classes, medicare as we know it might not exist today. Would anyone describe medicare as an inappropriate policy choice on the basis that many of its early supporters were Christians who saw this as a way to advance their own worldviews?
It was after all a conservative Baptist minister that founded the NDP party and founded it on Christian values.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2012, 10:37 PM

Never thought I'd have to weigh in on religion on this forum, but here it goes:

Quote:
While it's true that many Christians are focused on converting others (Jehovah's witnesses, etc), you shouldn't paint them all with the same brush. Many Christians are unconcerned with the beliefs of others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I go to Devon's Church, and that is not at all our "Goal". That is extremely rude and very stereotypical. Christians are people as well. Your views on us Believers are, as H0twired said extremely skewed, ignorant and borderline discriminating.
I would like to clear something up about discrimination here. You are equating religeous discrimination with things like racism and sexism, things that someone is born with and can have no negative effect on them. However religeous discrimination is more like discriminating against the racists or the flat world believers. It's discriminating against beliefs that someone adopts later in life and can (although certainly not always) have a negative effect on one's character (example: fundamentalism).

Quote:
I would expect more from you Vid, and the rest of you poking fun at an extremely intelligent, and down to earth man, especially based on his beliefs.
Being as intelligent people don't have self-contradictory beliefs, I highly doubt that he is intelligent. And being as the psychology of religion has shown that your relationship with God is actually a relationship with your own ego (thus God's opinions are always your own), I also highly doubt he is down to earth. I've never met the man, so I'll withhold such a judgement until I have, although I do have expectations. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Have you ever been to Kilcona Park Alliance Church? Have you talked to the members of our Congregation? Have you read our Statement of Faith? And most importantly, have you ever talked to Devon? I am guessing no. And until you do, every negative statement you make can be taken as nothing but utter rubbish.
It's not practical to be intimately familiar with every church in every religeous denomination, so we're going to have to go by the general teachings of Christianity.

Quote:
Remember -even though I hate to call it Religion- we live in a Country with human rights, and one of those rights is Freedom of Religion.
And could you please remember that Freedom of Religion does not mean Protection from Criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
All of that is fine, however, when he is being interviewed as the chief of police, he is representing the City of Winnipeg and should conduct himself as such. I for one am concerned about how the rest of the country will see us. If city officials are allowed to spout religeous ideas when they represent the city, then Winnipeg will be increasingly associated with the social conservatives of Alberta/Saskatchewan.

Winnipeg has a negative stigma across the country, this stigma is wrong (Winnipeg is awesome), but we still need to advertise ourselves well. This man is doing irreparable damage to our reputation and I won't stand for it. Winnipeg must stand on the right side of history as socially progressive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan