HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:16 AM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Is this former BoEd parking lot Bay/King? Or the other corner? This is so cool. It makes total sense. LRT has to stop there now.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Is this former BoEd parking lot Bay/King? Or the other corner? This is so cool. It makes total sense. LRT has to stop there now.
To be fair, the James Street stop is a 6 minute walk from here, and the Queen Street stop is an 8 minute walk. It would be convenient to stop there. But I can't see it happening considering those distances. Majority of people getting off at Bay would be students and middle aged employees, so suggesting it's necessary for seniors or disabled isn't really going to push enough for a new station most likely. Plus despite the lack of a stop, development is still happening apparently, so.

That said, I'm neither against or for a stop here, I just don't see it happening.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 5:29 AM

LRT stops are designed in such a way that James/Bay and Queen would all kind of merge into each other and slow down the LRT, which is why Metrolinx has been against putting a stop there.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 2:49 PM
Hamilton Historian

Now THAT looks sharp - well done! *claps*

I really like the designs on the parking garage too - finally something modern also with design flair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Yeah, the BYs of the NIMBYs aren't anywhere nearby.

Will definitely create more demand for an LRT stop at Bay.

The only thing I don't care for is the huge garage fronting King. Can't there at least be street level retail/commercial units built into it?
Hmm that would actually be a novel concept - retail on the bottom, parking garages above it - I could see that working for several area of the city - keep a parking lot on the parking lot so to speak..

I know back in the day certain buildings used to have parking on their roofs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishap View Post
Council doesn't seem to want an LRT stop at Bay. Maybe they're afraid if there's a station so close to City Hall, they'll be expected to take transit to work.
Oh no, can't hold your employees to the same standard you expect the rest of the city to! Mmm nmm, can't have that..

Last edited by Chronamut; Feb 27, 2018 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Nice.

That parking garage is pretty gross, though.
Agreed, great project, but do we really have to have a parking garage? What a waste of space. Take it underground and put a second, shorter tower maybe in its place.

And if we have to have a parking garage, why not put a couple of usable storeys on top of it? Like two or three commercial/classroom floors with a green roof?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Hmm that would actually be a novel concept - retail on the bottom, parking garages above it
Downtown Burlington.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
To be fair, the James Street stop is a 6 minute walk from here, and the Queen Street stop is an 8 minute walk.
That's fine if your starting point is Bay/King. But for all those residential buildings on Bay South, Robinson, Duke it would be more than just 6-8 minute additional walk. That's the densest part of the city (Durand) as far as I know. And many seniors too. so there's that.

Last edited by realcity; Feb 27, 2018 at 7:12 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
That's fine if your starting point is Bay/King. But for all those residential buildings on Bay South, Robinson, Duke it would be more than just 6-8 minute additional walk. That's the densest part of the city (Durand) as far as I know.
Yes, but that is assuming that as the departure point. Most arguments for the Bay/King LRT stop are for it being a destination, or somewhere to commute to.

It will be a long walk for many regardless to the other stops, between the stations will be a longer walk, that's what happens when you have a rapid LRT with limited stations to improve the speed across the city.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:41 PM

Yes I get that it will slow down the LRT to stop at Bay/King, IF you are coming from 'nowhere' or Mac it doesn't make a difference, stop at James then.

But what's not being addressed is that this is the densest residential area in the City. So to pretend the LRT is just for people starting from outside downtown and that it is not the starting point for so many people is just blind. Which sums up how the whole LRT process has been thus far. A shitstorm in a blender.

Just for that, I do hope Ford wins and wins and shuts down Metrolynx and makes Hamilton press restart with the 1$billion. Fred has been a disaster on this file. and he is going to have to wear it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, but that is assuming that as the departure point. Most arguments for the Bay/King LRT stop are for it being a destination, or somewhere to commute to.

It will be a long walk for many regardless to the other stops, between the stations will be a longer walk, that's what happens when you have a rapid LRT with limited stations to improve the speed across the city.
I can get that. Personally if you live on Bay South, why would you want to go to the Queenston Traffic circle? Although a mall at Eastgate might be nice. Disclosure: I maintain an apartment in L8P, for my teenaged children. So that;s where I'm coming from.

Last edited by realcity; Feb 27, 2018 at 7:59 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:11 PM

The LRT is not about speed. Let's admit that. Shaving 6 minutes off an existing bus route is not why LRT is happening.

For Fred and many it is about replacing the 100 year old infrastructure under Main/King that is a ticking time bomb. when the City is already struggling to fix the Clairmont and now Sherman (again) Accesses if King blows up now, the are truly frigged.

Secondly, many pro LRT people already live downtown and walk everywhere, they won't even use it. They just like how 'euro-urban' it will look. Ask the current bus users, who are mostly disenfranchised, let alone politically involved in this, but as usual, elites think they know what they want and need. They don't want LRT. I will tell you, they just more busses so you can actually have a seat on.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:42 PM

Quote:
The LRT is not about speed. Let's admit that. Shaving 6 minutes off an existing bus route is not why LRT is happening.

For Fred and many it is about replacing the 100 year old infrastructure under Main/King that is a ticking time bomb. when the City is already struggling to fix the Clairmont and now Sherman (again) Accesses if King blows up now, the are truly frigged.

Secondly, many pro LRT people already live downtown and walk everywhere, they won't even use it. They just like how 'euro-urban' it will look. Ask the current bus users, who are mostly disenfranchised, let alone politically involved in this, but as usual, elites think they know what they want and need. They don't want LRT. I will tell you, they just more busses so you can actually have a seat on.
I would argue it is about speed. Even if it were not shaving time off the travel, maintaining the current travel speed is extremely important. Public transit is underwhelming to a lot of people because of the slowness compared to driving. If we want people to take transit, we need to make it as quick as possible.

I do think a huge part of LRT is repairing a crumbling King Street, and it is great that the province of Ontario is paying for the repairs.

The LRT is called "higher-order transit" for a reason. The B-line is already at capacity during rush hour, and the transit system is expected to double in daily ridership over the next decade, and the occasion ridership will likely triple. The bus that skip those people waiting on King have a maximum capacity of like 68 people, and the LRT trains have double the capacity, and can run more quickly across the city, I think that is a pretty good improvement that cannot necessarily be explained away by "euro-urban" gentrifying middle class people. This will help the entire city and the people in it.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 8:46 PM
Hamilton Historian

yes there have been so many times back in the day where a bus would pass me by because it was filled to capacity during rush hour.

Buses filled to capacity are never fun to be on, esp. when people have strollers or screaming kids.

Or in the summertime..

When everyone is smelly..

Or on barton and canon st.. where the people who come on the buses are.. "unique"..

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Agreed, great project, but do we really have to have a parking garage? What a waste of space. Take it underground and put a second, shorter tower maybe in its place.

And if we have to have a parking garage, why not put a couple of usable storeys on top of it? Like two or three commercial/classroom floors with a green roof?
I imagine the parking garage is needed because of McMaster's growing number of staff and students working in the downtown core. They'll likely control and operate the garage and allow staff to park from Braley campus, One James Street, and this new building. I know the biggest issue with staff currently working at One James Street is parking. A few number of staff work at the main campus, however every once in a while they have to go to One James Street so they park and expense it.

However, I do agree they should add a green roof to the garage, or perhaps make it a giant rooftop patio space for the grad students to hang out.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 2:50 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
However, I do agree they should add a green roof to the garage, or perhaps make it a giant rooftop patio space for the grad students to hang out.
Excellent idea!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
I imagine the parking garage is needed because of McMaster's growing number of staff and students working in the downtown core. They'll likely control and operate the garage and allow staff to park from Braley campus, One James Street, and this new building. I know the biggest issue with staff currently working at One James Street is parking. A few number of staff work at the main campus, however every once in a while they have to go to One James Street so they park and expense it.

Right, that makes sense with the other downtown campuses. Well, here's hoping the garage looks good and fits in well. I really do like the tower, and am thrilled to see McMaster finally get in the game and invest in downtown.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:20 PM
Hamilton Historian

I like the tower concept - it feels like something you would see in downtown toronto

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:01 PM

on todays GIC, an item to sell these two properties is on the agenda. The corner lot at King/Bay - 191 King West. And the lot directly south - 22 Bay South.
Presumably it is to make way for this development.
The file is confidential so I don't know for certain, but it sounds like the city might be looking to lock in a lease for parking spaces in the new parking garage as part of the deal.
I guess we'll know more later today.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
on todays GIC, an item to sell these two properties is on the agenda. The corner lot at King/Bay - 191 King West. And the lot directly south - 22 Bay South.
Presumably it is to make way for this development.
The file is confidential so I don't know for certain, but it sounds like the city might be looking to lock in a lease for parking spaces in the new parking garage as part of the deal.
I guess we'll know more later today.
What I don't get is, why not put retail on the bottom floor, and increase the height of the garage by a few storeys while they're at it? You could reduce the need for parking stock for the downtown for the next half a decade, and the city could purchase some spots and offer parking on their owned lots for cheap to entice existing parking lots to redevelop.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
What I don't get is, why not put retail on the bottom floor, and increase the height of the garage by a few storeys while they're at it? You could reduce the need for parking stock for the downtown for the next half a decade, and the city could purchase some spots and offer parking on their owned lots for cheap to entice existing parking lots to redevelop.

Yes, I have to assume that when this comes for public feedback, or even city staff feedback, those types of suggestions will be made. We don't need to ever build a stand-alone parking garage on main streets again like we did on York Blvd.
Retail on bottom, and either offices, hotel or residential units on top.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton