HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 5:40 PM

7 Queen St N + 354 King St W | 77.2 & 41.7 m | 12 & 25 fl | Under Construction

It looks like Vranich maybe serious this time in building several building downtown. This would only be a block away from Hess Village.

Quote:
Report PED11051 recommends the approval of a loan commitment under the Hamilton Downtown Office Tenancy Assistance Program for 354-368 King Street West. The applicant/owner of the property, King West Crossing Limited, is proposing to undertake leasehold improvements to the basement, ground and second floor of the 2-storey building municipally known as 366-368 King Street West, in order to accommodate 6,000 square feet of office space for Vrancor Group Inc./Vrancor Restaurant Group Inc. that are currently located in Burlington and moving their offices to Downtown Hamilton.
Vrancor Group Inc./Vrancor Restaurant Group will employ 20-25 individuals at this location.

366 - 368 King Street West (Google Earth Picture)

354 King Street West (Google Earth Picture)

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/...__PED11051.pdf

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 6:18 PM

The exterior of that building has already been done for several months now. The sign says 'Vrancor Restaurant Group.'

They also own the former Hakim Optical building and the burned out apartment buiding, which are across from each other at King and Hess. I posted about those 'plans' in the rumour mill thread.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 8:38 PM
Hammer'd

Seems to me that the former Hakim Optical building would be more suitable for his head office, as it commands a better street presence (and is closer to Hess).
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Seems to me that the former Hakim Optical building would be more suitable for his head office, as it commands a better street presence (and is closer to Hess).
Yes but it would command more money being closer to Hess Village.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 1:11 AM

Vranich has received a demolition permit for the Mt St Joseph building.

http://thepublicrecord.ca/2014/11/12...ouncil-recess/

Quote:
The permit was applied for on October 7, 2014 by Darko Vranich’s King West Crossings Inc.

The demolition permit has been issued by the Building Department and demolition may occur at any date.
For some reason, as of yet unknown, this information was not provided to the Hamilton Municipal Heritage Committee during their October 16, 2014 meeting.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 1:32 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Hope it's to build something more than a parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:57 AM
Concerned Citizen

A couple of years ago he mentioned that he was planning on building a hotel on that site. If I recall correctly it was to be a 100- 200 room Holiday Inn. There may even be a thread on it somewhere here.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 6:00 AM

That's a good case for having council meetings in the November after an election. Who else gets a paid month off just because? The business of improving (or as it goes here, screwing up) the city doesn't take a holiday to wait for the new council.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 6:22 AM

I absolutely adore that building and seriously hope it doesn't get demolished especially when there are so many empty lots that could easily be filled. But I guess if something were to happen, I pray that he at least keeps a facade or does some sort of retrofit.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 7:25 AM
Dustin William

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
I absolutely adore that building and seriously hope it doesn't get demolished especially when there are so many empty lots that could easily be filled. But I guess if something were to happen, I pray that he at least keeps a facade or does some sort of retrofit.
I absolutely agree with you! This is a really lovely building, it would be a shame to see a big blocky stucco building developed in it's place.
Instead, it would be nice to see a conversion like Witton lofts. It retains the charm, but makes it modern at the same time.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Vranich has received a demolition permit for the Mt St Joseph building.

http://thepublicrecord.ca/2014/11/12...ouncil-recess/
I was just about to post this also...

Once talk of an LRT stop here, but how quickly a back room discussion can swap things around! A little grease-ball to the wheel to make things move faster with no public interest. I own a place just around the corner and this is getting to me now. Also the church kiddie-corner to this is slated for demo and will change this whole intersection more. These developments might be combined? Terrible heritage issue here, how in hell does this go under the rug? I appreciate the Vrancor contribution, but through the back door? His office is right next to this property, it's a long time coming I'm sure.

McHattie saves the day again by finding the permit in the first place. Thank you sir.

Last edited by Pearlstreet; Nov 13, 2014 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:49 PM

I not sure about the back door but he announced this project as a Holiday Inn Express years ago (2007 or 2008) before even starting the projects on Main Street. I believe he applied for a zoning change back then. He seems to be flush with money as these project are just barreling ahead without sales starting. I suspect this maybe a nice project as his head office is next door.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ That's what I'm thinking too, head office space for Vrancor.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is proposed as a senior home. That's seems to be his two main source of business, senior homes and hotels.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 3:56 PM

LikeHamilton, I'd very much like to know how you define "nice". He's going to demolish a perfectly fine building of heritage significance!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 4:49 PM

Shameful. And, movingtohamilton, you’re right. Further to your comment, it is very hard to determine whether a project is “nice” if there are no plans that can be reviewed. This historically significant building on an important corner is going to be demolished to make way for…Something.

Maybe.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 5:12 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
LikeHamilton, I'd very much like to know how you define "nice". He's going to demolish a perfectly fine building of heritage significance!
It might be historical, but it's not exactly urban with that big set back. It's also an incredibly average looking building. If something of that level of generic design with that sort of set back were proposed today it would declared horribly suburban, especially when along a major artery like King.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 6:33 PM

Mason Property needs great neighbours

The neighbouring property owners opinion and realization of the historical importance of the Mason mansion at that corner needs consideration. There is a constant flow of film crew sets being erected there if that doesn't highlight it enough as a gem. I'm not saying it fits well now, but consideraton is needed.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:48 PM

I do not believe this building has any heritage significance. It looks just like any of dozens of apt building in the city. It is not like the Scottish Rite across the street where I believe most of the filming happens. I would rather see a large high rise of any type up to the sidewalk on that corner. I try not getting emotionally attached to building. Just because it was built does not mean it can't come down.

From THE PUBLIC RECORD HAMILTON

Quote:
The building is only listed as being of interest, and was not added to the Heritage Interest Registry as lays on the west side of Queen Street, officially outside of the Downtown Core boundary.
Quote:
The demolition permit has been issued by the Building Department and demolition may occur at any date.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
...I try not getting emotionally attached to building. Just because it was built does not mean it can't come down.
I'm organizing a wrecking party for the Pigott Building! Who's in?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2014, 9:01 PM

I am trying to understand how people see this building as historically significant. In what context? Its architecture is not unique. Does its previous role as an orphanage warrant referring to it as historically significant? Why was there no outcry to preserve the building when the site was earmarked to become an LRT station? Why did it not require preservation then, but does now?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton