HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 4:52 PM
Closed account

^^ Sweet! So looks like a Little Asian District is closer to reality?
Hopefully this area can thrive... first-things-first tho -- get rid of 1-way on Cannon!!!

I dunno how "newsworthy" this is, but they are laying the foundation for the new Queen Vic School at Walnut/Charlton today.
I'm happy to see development, but kinda sad it's happened already as I've been using the frozen-over field as a hockey rink NOW where am I going to skate? OH WAIT, it's +13 degrees out!! hahaha

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ Sweet! So looks like a Little Asian District is closer to reality?
Hopefully this area can thrive... first-things-first tho -- get rid of 1-way on Cannon!!!

I dunno how "newsworthy" this is, but they are laying the foundation for the new Queen Vic School at Walnut/Charlton today.
I'm happy to see development, but kinda sad it's happened already as I've been using the frozen-over field as a hockey rink NOW where am I going to skate? OH WAIT, it's +13 degrees out!! hahaha
Yeah i drove by there awhile ago and meant to ask how its coming along. I initially thought it was going to be another apartment buildings as its basically surrounded by them. Hopefully that gets done quickly.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:23 AM

I was told that the Asian supermarket next to the Vietnamese restaurant on Cannon st had bought up the piece of land next door to build a larger version but it had been scuttled by red tape. They now use it as a parking lot. Does anyone know what happened?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:52 AM

anyone know if the subway at john and young is closed down now? or are they renovating?

If it's gone kudos to atlantic sub for winning the war.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 12:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
anyone know if the subway at john and young is closed down now? or are they renovating?

If it's gone kudos to atlantic sub for winning the war.
Wow... I was actually just about to add the update!!

Subway is undergoing reno work.

As for the war, I'm allied w/ Atlantic... their subs are just so classic. Mmmmmm.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 12:41 AM
Closed account

here's the asian market on queen near york. i'm guessing the area on the right might house a restaurant. a coat of paint and bob's yer uncle.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2008, 11:34 PM
Closed account

found out this weekend that we might be getting 2 more hotels at Main/Bay. This time in the old HMP used lot on the south side of Main.
2, 15 storey hotels planned for that site.

Also, a possible Sobeys or Lowblaws might be coming to the Darko-owned site at Queen and Market, might be mixed-use with residential too.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 2:56 AM
Hammer'd

About time a proposal for a grocery store downtown comes about. Hopefully whichever one comes does one of the "urban format" stores.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 2:47 PM

A grocery store would do wonders for downtown, let's hope it's true and takes the proper urban format.

I also posted a downtown tour in the city photos section, I gave it a provocative title and intro so that lots of people would look at it. So far some pretty interesting responses...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 3:49 PM

^^you guys can feel free to answer other forumers' questions about downtown too, I don't like to continually reply to my own threads in city photos.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 4:43 PM
Closed account

I'm trying to verify this, but I heard that the Stelco Tower has been completely leased. Great news if it's confirmed to be true.
A fairly reliable city hall source told me this. apparently a rather large firm (I guess so, to take up 10 floors or whatever was available).

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 5:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

^ I also heard the same news but that was like 4 or 5 months ago. During the same time Jim from RIM wanted to get an NHL team to Hamilton so I assumed it might be RIM but I dunno but I know I heard rumours of a large leasing deal for Stelco tower, erm 100 King West tower.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 6:23 PM
On Guard For Thee

That would be great news. Much of the unleased space resulted from the departure of Stelco--but nearly as much was vacated by Philip Environmental from what I recall. RBC took a swatch when they moved over--and other existing tenants have expanded. I know American Express Member Services now has two full floors...could be that others are expanding their existing presence too.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 7:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

I dunno where to put all this information so I'll just type it here for now....

Project Status Report
As of January 8, 2008

Project and Budget Approved

Engineering building - February 2009 - ($38 million)

McMaster front entrance - Summer 2008 - ($5 million) Design work complete. First stage of landscaping to be implemented with construction of the new Engineering building in 2008.

Burke Science Building - Spring 2008 - ($41 million)

Ronald V Joyce Stadium - February 2008 - ($33,500,000) Tendering 99% complete. 99% of garage related concrete complete. 95% mechanical/electrical site work complete. Structural steel complete. Precast concrete stands complete. Stadium participant work 85% complete. Work on media box has commenced.

Project not Approved and Budget Pending

MDCL 2nd floor fitout - Summer 2009 - ($26 million) Architect retained to provide schematic design. Final approval pending.

Burlington campus - Fall 2009 - ($35 million) Business plan and functional plan currently being developed.

Project not Approved, Under consideration

Liberal Arts Building - a space audit of existing space within the Faculties of Social Sciences and Humanities has been completed. Functional programme development to be completed in Spring 2008

Thode Library Learning Commons - Preliminary concepts have been produced for an open house in late November to receive feedback on potential scope.

Above Ground Parking Structure - On hold pending a campus wide parking review

Sports Arena - offsite location

Tennis Courts

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 7:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

For the Sports Arena I do know McMaster, the city and David Braley is working together to work out a financial plan. From what I heard it might include a new aquatic centre (the city wants this), large arena for like hockey, basketball, etc (McMaster wants that). The city would like to locate it by the waterfront around the CN train track, much like Hamilton's 2014 Commonwealth bid.

But this is still very much in the early stages. Hopefully the arena will be something of like 10,000 seats and the Bulldogs can relocate to this arena.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 7:45 PM

Do they need a 10,000 seat facility? Why don't they put an arena adjacent to the MIP?

Coronation Arena, which MAC currently uses for training, is a hole.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 7:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
Why don't they put an arena adjacent to the MIP?

Coronation Arena, which MAC currently uses for training, is a hole.
Wow, that IS a great idea! But where would they put the Big Boxes

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 7:54 PM
It's Hammer Time

Won't happen at MIP.

This is years away though, probably 5 years before blueprints are made if given approval.

I believe the arena size will largely depend on a successful bid such as Pan Ams or Commonwealth Games.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 7:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Here's an article about it from the Spec in Nov 2007

http://www.thespec.com/printArticle/288333

"Bringing hockey back to McMaster would require a new arena, likely to be built within the next five years. That facility -- possibly on campus and almost certainly somewhere close to the university -- could include one, two or three rinks at a cost of as much as $25 million, and be shared among recreational and competitive users.

That money would be raised separately. The university is currently studying the feasibility of the arena project, including potential collaborations with other possible users. The idea for the M Club comes from Hamilton businessman and philanthropist David Braley, a university supporter who himself has committed $58 million in donations to McMaster in recent years.

"This is the next phase of building the athletic department," Braley said. "It's an opportunity to build the athletic department to make it very, very strong."

Recently retired McMaster chancellor Mel Hawkrigg, who is chairman of Braley's flagship company Orlick Industries, is also chairman of the new effort, now in its early stages."

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 8:03 PM
Closed account

any info on this 'Burke Science Building 2008' ??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton