HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Using the 7500 homes in the report the numbers would be about a third of the ammount, adjusted for 6 years of inflation. This is not the point. The point is homes which genrate 5000 or 6000 a year add much more than those which generate 500 or 600. Especially when those low tax homes strain city services due to decaying infrastructure and high crime.
Do suburban taxpayers really pay 10 times more in property taxes than the inner city? I don't think so, unless you're assuming that overall, property values in the suburbs are 10 times higher than they are in the inner-city (which they aren't). Also remember that iner-cities have much higher densities than Waverly West will (have you seen the plans? Almost half of some of those subdivisions are open-space, which will pay no property tax...also not paying property taxes are the wider roads which take up a lot more space). Inevitably, the taxes are spread much thinner in such a low density area...

Also, businesses and industry pay higher property taxes than residential properties. Therefore, innercities generate revenues in that way, which will not happen in WW for at least the forseeable future.

Finally, you have to understand that inner-city infrastructure serves suburban populations as well as their own. When someone from WW drives into downtown, they are obviously going to drive through the core. The same can be said for transit, in which the majority of routes only pass through the core, but originate in the suburbs. On the other hand, I don't think many west-enders will be driving out to Waverly West to put added strain on its infrastructure...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 1:25 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

theres alot of factors at play on higher taxs lot size distance from the front of the house to the property line
ect

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 11:35 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

anyone know anything about judy washalisalese (spelling) wanting to run for mayor?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 9:43 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Mayor calls down wastewater upgrades, school divisions in State of the City address

Mayor Sam Katz's delivers his final State of the City address before he seeks re-election, at a Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce luncheon at the convention centre today.
WINNIPEG - Mayor Sam Katz used his State of the City speech today to sling barbs at the province over Winnipeg's wastewater upgrades and also vowed to prevent the NDP from taking over city council during October's civic election.
Speaking before a Chamber of Commerce luncheon at the Winnipeg Convention Centre, Katz reiterated the city's opposition to spending $350 million on a nutrient-removal step that's part of the city's $1.8 billion waste-water upgrade, as ordered by the province against the advice of leading freshwater scientists.
Related Items

1. Articles

The mayor also said he will battle the NDP this October, when Winnipeggers go to the polls.
Unlike previous State of the City speeches, the mayor shied away from making any new promises, although he did pledge - as expected - to freeze property taxes in Winnipeg for the 13th straight year.
The mayor also pledged to eliminate the business tax for more businesses this year.
He also complained some school divisions "are out of control" when it comes to spending.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 12:44 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs
[B] WINNIPEG - Mayor Sam Katz used his State of the City speech today to sling barbs at the province over Winnipeg's wastewater upgrades and also vowed to prevent the NDP from taking over city council during October's civic election.
Speaking before a Chamber of Commerce luncheon at the Winnipeg Convention Centre, Katz reiterated the city's opposition to spending $350 million on a nutrient-removal step that's part of the city's $1.8 billion waste-water upgrade, as ordered by the province against the advice of leading freshwater scientists.
Heard a bit of the highlights from Sammy's "State of the City" address on CJOB this evening. Sounds like he was spewing-off a bunch of rhetoric re: keeping partisan politics out of City Hall, that provincial parties shouldn't be involved, etc, etc, blah blah...

From what I understand, however... Sammy (and his puppets) were given loads of support for both his campaigns directly from PC Manitoba. Membership lists, coordination and recruitment of volunteers, assistance with fund raising, etc.

Katz is so lucky that most people don't pay attention to local politics, but if he has any sense he'll stop his line of bullshit about how he feels provincial parties should say out of City Hall campaigns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs
anyone know anything about judy washalisalese (spelling) wanting to run for mayor?
Just that a story was planted a week ago that she is considering a run for Mayor. This is common to 'test the waters,' as you want to put your name on the public's radar for a certain office prior to starting internal polling.

I've heard that Viewpoints Research (primarily owned by Gary Doer's wife) is currently conducting a survey on behalf of the left-leaning/NDP potential candidates. They are seeking attitudes of the general public, who would be either somewhat or very likely to vote in the next civic election, on how likely they would be to vote for the following:

- Dan Vandel
- Judy Wasylycia-leis
- Russ Wyatt
- Lillian Thomas
- Sam Katz
- David Angus (probably just threw that name in there within the survey to provide at least one other centre-right name so the survey doesn't seem as slanted).

I'd assume that these left-leaning candidates are going to use the survey results to try and determine which one of 'em has the best chance of beating Sammy in October.

Respondents are then asked a battery of about 15 questions on their level of agreement with a bunch of statements... almost all apparently regarding Sam Katz. Specifically, this is to determine the best talking points to use in a campaign against Sammy. IIRC some of the statements are (do you agree/disagree somewhat/strongly that):
- "Sam is more interested in helping his business friends than he is for the average citizen of Winnipeg."
- "I am concerned about conflict-of-interests Sam has with his position as Mayor and his private businesses."
- "While Sam often talks about being 'tough on crime,' yet he has not done enough to make our city safer."
- "Sam is either freezing or cutting taxes for sheer political interests, when our city's infrastructure is falling apart."
- "Sam lacks a vision for Winnipeg's future."
- "I am concerned about the response time of our emergency first responders."
- and some other typical stuff about potholes/roads, garbage & recycling collection, etc.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jan 27, 2010 at 3:04 AM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 4:03 AM

I had indigestion after listening to that speech over lunch.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 4:16 AM
the first stamp is free

I'm not sure what's worse; Sam Katz or most of the people on that list who may be running against him.

It's almost worth suffering through him for another 4 years to wait for someone even remotely worthy of being mayor.

I will say that David Angus is an interesting option. I don't know much about him though.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 4:40 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I'm not sure what's worse; Sam Katz or most of the people on that list who may be running against him.

It's almost worth suffering through him for another 4 years to wait for someone even remotely worthy of being mayor.

I will say that David Angus is an interesting option. I don't know much about him though.
Here's a brief bio: http://www.unitedwaywinnipeg.mb.ca/c...08/dangus.html

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 4:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Another 1ajs classic, actually the correct spelling is Judy Washersheetsplease.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 5:28 AM
I am a typical

I thought it was Judy Washthedishesplease?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 5:40 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Judy Washyourhandsandknees

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

Precisely my thoughts...

Well, except the another four years of sammy part.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 5:58 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

actualy knows judy shes quite a nice person.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 6:26 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
actualy knows judy shes quite a nice person.
This isn't an IRC client. Use your first person pronouns, boy.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 6:28 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
This isn't an IRC client. Use your first person pronouns, boy.
aww wha?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 6:47 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
I actually knows Judy, she's quite a nice person.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 6:56 AM

I'm still waiting to see the poor soul that is born with a quadruple hyphenated name. Surely, it's coming.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 7:14 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Dave Angus might make for a good mayor.

That said, the right is usually smart enough not to split the vote.

I suspect he will turn down any invitation to run so long as Katz goes about seeking a third term.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 7:15 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
I'm still waiting to see the poor soul that is born with a quadruple hyphenated name. Surely, it's coming.
I've been thinking about this too.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 7:17 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Judy Washyourhandsandknees
Judy is lucky to have a bunch of NDP pigeons to vote her in blindly term after term in the North End.

If she thinks she can ever win south of Selkirk Ave then she truely is out to lunch.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan