HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 2:15 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post

I wish she would just go away. Imagine someone running for mayor of a large city that has never had a job.
stephen harper has never had a real job either...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 5:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
"Why is she a hag?"
"I don't know, but I'm going to string off further insults anyway!!!!"

I know nothing about her but I think that if I were a resident of Winnipeg, I would vote for her just to spite your hateful soul!!!

See, children, this is why democracy doesn't work.
Why don't you shut your trap little boy...you are officially now on my nerves.

If she were a hip, urban gal, fine, but she is an old crow who has no ideas for what Winnipeg needs to grow. Based on current contenders, Sam is the only choice.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 4:13 PM

I wonder if I am a British citizen, I can still take part in the civic elections here? I know I cannot vote nationally.

One of my things I really want is, as a minority, I would like to see more immigrants! Thats the best way to boom the city's population.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 5:55 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post
Why don't you shut your trap little boy...you are officially now on my nerves.

If she were a hip, urban gal, fine, but she is an old crow who has no ideas for what Winnipeg needs to grow. Based on current contenders, Sam is the only choice.

why not find out about a breakfast with judy and go to one and see where shes at i've helped host one...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 6:02 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
I wonder if I am a British citizen, I can still take part in the civic elections here? I know I cannot vote nationally.
You gotta be a full-fledged Canadian citizen:

http://www.winnipeg.ca/clerks/docs/e...ligibility.htm

Welcome to the city and the message board, by the way. And don't let my posts scare you off!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 6:05 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
stephen harper has never had a real job either...
Hey now, don't forget about those few months where he was a file clerk for an oil company in Alberta back in the late 70's.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Jul 28, 2010 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 6:30 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post

One of my things I really want is, as a minority, I would like to see more immigrants! Thats the best way to boom the city's population.
Because cities are really a creation of provinces, the province makes many of the election rules. You have to be a Canadian citizen and a resident of Manitoba.

As for immigrants, Winnipeg's growth is actually very heavily driven by immigrants...but again, immigration is something out of the cities control. Immigration is a federal matter that the provinces can take control of (and Manitoba has to an extent with the provincial nominee program) such as in the case of Quebec (though federal approval of the immigrants is still necessary).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 10:48 PM
I am a typical

I thought you could vote locally as long as you lived in the community for six months. I didn't know you had to be a citizen of Canada, too.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 4:02 AM

VOTER ELIGIBILITY

There are two categories of voters who are eligible: Resident Voters and Non-Resident Voters.

RESIDENT VOTERS

A person who is a resident of The City of Winnipeg is eligible to vote if they are:

* a Canadian Citizen
* 18 years old or older on Election Day, October 27, 2010
* a resident of the City of Winnipeg since April 27, 2010

The following criteria apply to the residency of a person:

* is a resident of the place where they have their ordinary residence, and to which they intend to return when away from it
* may be a resident of only one place at a time
* does not change residence until they have a new residence

Notes:

1. A person who leaves the City of Winnipeg for temporary reasons is still considered a resident voter. For example, a student attending university or college outside the City, but who intends to return home after the term ends, is considered a resident voter.
2. A person who has resided within the City of Winnipeg for six months prior to Election Day, but has moved from one address to another, is still qualified to vote, but must do so at the voting place where they reside on Election Day.
3. A person must be a resident in the School Division since April 27, 2010 to be eligible to vote for School Trustee.

NON-RESIDENT VOTERS (applies only to individuals living outside the City of Winnipeg):

A person who is not a resident of The City of Winnipeg is eligible to vote if they are:

* a Canadian Citizen
* a registered owner of land in the City of Winnipeg as listed in The City of Winnipeg Assessment Roll since April 27, 2010

If three or more non-resident persons are registered owners of a parcel of land,

* no more than two of them are eligible to vote
* in order to be included on the Voters List, each of those two persons must file with the Senior Election Official the written consent of the number of persons who, together with the person to be included on the Voters List, are a majority of the registered owners of the land

Notes:

1. Despite the possibility of multiple property ownership, a person who is eligible to vote can only vote once and the name can only be entered once on the Voters List.
2. The City’s Election Office has assigned where a non-resident voter appears on the Voters List. For further information, non-resident voters may contact 311.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2010, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
You gotta be a full-fledged Canadian citizen:

http://www.winnipeg.ca/clerks/docs/e...ligibility.htm

Welcome to the city and the message board, by the way. And don't let my posts scare you off!
haha thanks, I actually pretty much grew up in Canada, am British by birth and never really obtained citizenship because, well...my family is too lazy to.

Its happening soon however...documents submitted...but its tough, going to the States even is not as easy for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Because cities are really a creation of provinces, the province makes many of the election rules. You have to be a Canadian citizen and a resident of Manitoba.

As for immigrants, Winnipeg's growth is actually very heavily driven by immigrants...but again, immigration is something out of the cities control. Immigration is a federal matter that the provinces can take control of (and Manitoba has to an extent with the provincial nominee program) such as in the case of Quebec (though federal approval of the immigrants is still necessary).
This I like about the city. Its known as the culture capital of Canada, correct? I have lived here for a while, but I never really got too much into anything until recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
VOTER ELIGIBILITY

There are two categories of voters who are eligible: Resident Voters and Non-Resident Voters.

RESIDENT VOTERS

A person who is a resident of The City of Winnipeg is eligible to vote if they are:

* a Canadian Citizen
* a resident of the City of Winnipeg since April 27, 2010

The following criteria apply to the residency of a person:

* is a resident of the place where they have their ordinary residence, and to which they intend to return when away from it
* may be a resident of only one place at a time
* does not change residence until they have a new residence

Notes:

1. A person who leaves the City of Winnipeg for temporary reasons is still considered a resident voter. For example, a student attending university or college outside the City, but who intends to return home after the term ends, is considered a resident voter.
2. A person who has resided within the City of Winnipeg for six months prior to Election Day, but has moved from one address to another, is still qualified to vote, but must do so at the voting place where they reside on Election Day.
3. A person must be a resident in the School Division since April 27, 2010 to be eligible to vote for School Trustee.

NON-RESIDENT VOTERS (applies only to individuals living outside the City of Winnipeg):

A person who is not a resident of The City of Winnipeg is eligible to vote if they are:

* a Canadian Citizen
* a registered owner of land in the City of Winnipeg as listed in The City of Winnipeg Assessment Roll since April 27, 2010

If three or more non-resident persons are registered owners of a parcel of land,

* no more than two of them are eligible to vote
* in order to be included on the Voters List, each of those two persons must file with the Senior Election Official the written consent of the number of persons who, together with the person to be included on the Voters List, are a majority of the registered owners of the land

Notes:

1. Despite the possibility of multiple property ownership, a person who is eligible to vote can only vote once and the name can only be entered once on the Voters List.
2. The City’s Election Office has assigned where a non-resident voter appears on the Voters List. For further information, non-resident voters may contact 311.
Thanks for the info!

And its nice to be a part of the online community here. Just recently took the "blinds" off and really started respecting the city, finding out about it and other Canadian cities, and just loving Canada. UK doesn't have as many opportunities as there are here, believe it or not...especially for minorities...

Old Posted Jul 30, 2010, 11:51 AM
I am a typical

Lots of cities got the cultural capital title, they have them out every year (or they did, the conservatives probably axed it) to give communities an opportunity to showcase their local cultures. Thunder Bay was cultural capital in 2005, I think.

Europe does the same year, IIRC this year's cultural capital is Ljubljana.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 9:10 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Aug 12, 2010, 10:08 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
503 Service Unavailable
No server is available to handle this request.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 12:07 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

works for me

Old Posted Aug 13, 2010, 11:16 PM
BANNED

Judy Wasylycia-Leis makes Katz look like JFK. Are her political advisers just incompetent, or is she deliberately trying to lose the election? As far as I know, she has done next to nothing to convince Winnipeggers to vote for her.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 1:24 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

are you aware of the comunity get togethers people are having in their homes with her and their friends and nieghbors? i took part in one

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 5:34 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Judy Wasylycia-Leis makes Katz look like JFK. Are her political advisers just incompetent, or is she deliberately trying to lose the election? As far as I know, she has done next to nothing to convince Winnipeggers to vote for her.
No one will vote for her except for those on the NDP phone list. I've heard heard her speak and she's about as uninspiring as they come.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 6:30 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
No one will vote for her except for those on the NDP phone list.
But it's Winnipeg. Isn't that a lot of people?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 7:09 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
No one will vote for her except for those on the NDP phone list. I've heard heard her speak and she's about as uninspiring as they come.
realy? i have seen the opisit allot of people are backing her from what i am seeing and hearing.................

katz needs to get outa the closit and get back to runing his company

Old Posted Aug 14, 2010, 7:58 AM
I am a typical

Lots of people you've met support her because lots of people you meet would support her.

And are you calling Katz gay?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan