HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
BLA BLA BL BL bal bal bbll
How very mature.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
And why is someone from Regina arguing with a bunch of people from Manitoba over a stadium that is being built in Regina?
Because Winnipeggers/Manitobans are being forced to share a forum with Saskatchewan. If we had our own forum, I doubt you would have to put up with very much logical debate from us Manitobans.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Because Winnipeggers/Manitobans are being forced to share a forum with Saskatchewan. If we had our own forum, I doubt you would have to put up with very much logical debate from us Manitobans.
How very mature.

Get over yourself. I'm not sure why you seem to act like you're so hard done by, having to share a forum with Sask.

We too, are being "forced" to share with you horrid Manitobans! /sarcasm

Besides, even if we were separated, people are still going to comment where their interests lie. i.e. Bdog will still add to this debate, and vid will still add to every thread on this forum. And the world will keep spinning.

Okay?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
How very mature.

Get over yourself. I'm not sure why you seem to act like you're so hard done by, having to share a forum with Sask.

We too, are being "forced" to share with you horrid Manitobans! /sarcasm

Besides, even if we were separated, people are still going to comment where their interests lie. i.e. Bdog will still add to this debate, and vid will still add to every thread on this forum. And the world will keep spinning.

Okay?

Well, if you want to get down to the nitty-gritty of it, here is a quote from Migs on another thread:

"I only have one question, why do Saskatchewan and Manitoba have to share a forum? Last time I checked, both provinces are doing quite well on their own. No offence to the fine folks from Manitoba, but I come here for Saskatchewan construction news."

Source: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=187387
Post #29

So essentially, he would rather have a seperate forum for Saskatchewan as I would rather have a seperate forum for Manitoba. So I guess by your logic that there are a bunch of us that need to get over ourselves. Comprende senior?

Muy bien

Now, I guess I've derailed this thread enough; back to the topic at hand.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:14 AM

^

I was already aware of the fact that others (from both provinces) have mentioned separate forums. However, Migs comment was positive and polite. That's why I only targeted you with your ridiculously arrogant comment.

Förstår?
(I used another language because I think it's quirky and smart. )

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsim249 View Post
I was already aware of the fact that others (from both provinces) have mentioned separate forums. However, Migs comment was positive and polite. That's why I only targeted you with your ridiculously arrogant comment.

Förstår?
(I used another language because I think it's quirky and smart. )
Well, it wasn't meant as arrogant, but it isn't a good feeling to hear other people not want to share anything with you, is it? He was questionning why a bunch of Manitobans were concerned with a project in Saskatchewan, and opposed to the amount of federal tax dollars potentially being involved, Manitoban's on this forum see this thread on the forum and will naturally check it out. I was mearly point that out. Regardless, there will inevidably be a split at some point because both provinces deserve it.

Moi aussi, je suis capable to communiquer dans une autre langue.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 4:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
So...it isnt approved now?....you were just joking?
Huh? I have heard through a few sources that this project is going ahead with or without federal funding. Nothing official however. (fingers crossed these reliable sources are infact true)

Quote:
I don't understand why you use percentage of project cost to justify federal funding levels. The fact is that they are asking for 10 times the amount the federal government typically gives to sports facilities. This is why it is impossible for them to set the precedent.
I've read some articles on private/public funding programs and alot of them say that federal involvment usually matches the private contribution. The feds want public involvment in alot of their capital projects, it helps justify there relevence. But I have stated several times (as well as provincial officials) that I would gladly accept a lesser amount, even the amount that Manitoba received. Also, as far as I know our stadium project is the only one that has applied for federal funding through the P3 program as this program already has funding in place therefore not requiring any new monies from the public purse.
Quote:
Is this $150m in private financing part of your 'inside' knowledge or have these companies been identified? Do you know what they will get in return for their investment?
The 25% in public funding has been stated on the record several times by Minister Cheveldayoff (as recently as the interview linked below), Mayor Fiacco, and the Premier himself. From what I understand they are being kept anonomous until the project gets the final go ahead.

http://www.newstalk980.com/audio/spo...anuary-12-2011

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 5:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Please note no mention of the Feds. Now back to the regular programming.
There is no mention of the feds, but they are a stakeholder in the crown/Pavco that will have to repay the loan to the provincial govt. What happens if they can't repay that loan? And while we are at it, didn't the Federal govt help fund that stadium when it was originally built?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 5:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTD View Post
Well, if we want to go by this logic (to be fair), then let the Feds give Sask. 15$ Million of Federal tax money towards the proposal, TOPS! Would that be good enough?
Yup, that would make me happy. But in my own persronal opinion, both Regina and Winnipeg should get more given the amout of monies put into the new project in Hamilton (saying an international event that nobody cares about is more important to Canadiana and deserves more funding than the CFL/local sports and entertainment is beyond ridiculous)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 5:35 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Migs you do not get it, let me explain it to you slowly.

Pavco is a BC provincial crown corporation. It has nothing to do with the federal governement. The Feds do not backstop it, the province does. Stick to what you know please.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 5:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Pavco is a BC provincial crown corporation. It has nothing to do with the federal governement. The Feds do not backstop it, the province does. Stick to what you know please.
From the pdf

Principal stakeholders of PavCo include the Provincial Government; the Government of Canada and Tourism Vancouver

You could be correct, but I would appreciate evidence that the feds wouldn't be on the hook for some of the loan if it can't be repaid given that they are a stakeholder of Pavco. And I am still wondering who funded that stadium when it was originally built?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 5:55 AM
BANNED

Another topic that nobody has adressed is federal funding of hockey arenas for junior hockey and semi-pro hockey teams (ie the new arena in Abbotsford). Its common knowledge that these facilities currently and historical have received federal funding. Now take the Saskatchewan Roughriders who are a community owned not for profit business, that is being used as an example for the feds not funding there new stadium. Now look at alot of junior hockey teams that are privately owned for profit that cosistently receive federal funding for their facilities. Isn`t it ironic...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Another topic that nobody has adressed is federal funding of hockey arenas for junior hockey and semi-pro hockey teams (ie the new arena in Abbotsford). Its common knowledge that these facilities currently and historical have received federal funding. Now take the Saskatchewan Roughriders who are a community owned not for profit business, that is being used as an example for the feds not funding there new stadium. Now look at alot of junior hockey teams that are privately owned for profit that cosistently receive federal funding for their facilities. Isn`t it ironic...
How much did the feds put towards Abbotsford's arena? Do you have the number?

Also, feel free to post federal funding numbers for the practical, community-used junior hockey arenas.

Here's a good reason why these junior hockey facilities get a portion of federal funds (I eagerly await your numbers):

Quote:
Federal funding for sports facilities generally has been based on the goal of "increased community access to sports activities, thereby improving the health of Canadians, strengthening Canadian communities, and providing increased opportunities for the development of Canadian athletes," the memo says.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/sports/Federal...#ixzz1B5C4sILh
^Above is the reason why Winnipeg got $15 M for the amateur athletic and recreation component of the project. And since you state that you, and the province, would be happy to accept $15 M in federal funding for your project, no one here is arguing that you don't deserve a shot at that (through the appropriate funding programs). Frankly, I don't think many would even care if you received $25 M (which seems to be the precedent for facilities in Canada), as long as it came through the proper channels and programs (say, for the infrastructure upgrades/museum/recreation components, etc)

However, you seem to want to turn this into a "Saskatchewan is getting a raw deal" debate, rather than a debate over the merits and feasibility of this proposal. If that is how you feel (that the feds are being extremely unfair to the province that voted overwhelming in their favour), your argument might be better suited for a letter to your local MPs...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 6:59 AM

Quote:
From the pdf

Principal stakeholders of PavCo include the Provincial Government; the Government of Canada and Tourism Vancouver

You could be correct, but I would appreciate evidence that the feds wouldn't be on the hook for some of the loan if it can't be repaid given that they are a stakeholder of Pavco. And I am still wondering who funded that stadium when it was originally built?
Well do YOU? have any proof the the feds would be? Apples and oranges mate, can't prove it, can't not prove it.

Where is YOUR proof that this stadium is approved? Hmmmm? Put up or shut up

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 7:35 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

What you keep highlighting was explained to you in my first post. The Federal government was a stakeholder in another Pavco project, our expanded convention centre, nothing to do with BC Place. The Feds are not a stakeholder in Pavco itself nor or they involved with the BC Place renos.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 8:14 AM

it would be so nice if the two provinces would be have separate furoms , and really why go on another city site and always trash it, do we see regina folks going to there city and trashing not very likely , it just shows you what kind of people they are , and iam sure the politicans from sask see this trash talk from persons from another province , will want to build this even more

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Fair enough, I will take your word for it. On another note, as I stated earlier, I am curious who helped fund the stadium when it was originally constructed?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
it would be so nice if the two provinces would be have separate furoms , and really why go on another city site and always trash it, do we see regina folks going to there city and trashing not very likely , it just shows you what kind of people they are , and iam sure the politicans from sask see this trash talk from persons from another province , will want to build this even more
Just because someone does not live in Saskatchewan, does not mean that they aren't a potential stakeholder in this project. I live outside Toronto, but I have many relatives in Regina that will be affected by this project. I also own several pieces of property in Regina, so my property taxes will be potentially affected by this project. A lot of us (who do not live in Regina, but who do have a stake in Regina) have just as much right to comment on this project as you have. We are just trying to gather an understanding on how this project is going to be paid for and who is going to get the bill.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
How much did the feds put towards Abbotsford's arena? Do you have the number?

Also, feel free to post federal funding numbers for the practical, community-used junior hockey arenas.

Here's a good reason why these junior hockey facilities get a portion of federal funds (I eagerly await your numbers):
I don't know what the specific numbers are (I have better things to do than look em up), all I know is that alot of them do receive federal funding, agreed? And I also know that alot of those arenas have junior hockey teams (as a main tenant) with private owners who are making money. That is the point I am trying to make that the feds are being hypocritical by saying they don't fund these types of facilities, especially when they use the Riders as an example (who by definition are a community owned non-profit organization, unlike many junior hockey teams with millionaire owners)
Quote:
^Above is the reason why Winnipeg got $15 M for the amateur athletic and recreation component of the project.
....and that is the same reason why Regina should at least get the same amount that Winnpeg did as there will be as many amateur athletics in the new facility.
Quote:
And since you state that you, and the province, would be happy to accept $15 M in federal funding for your project, no one here is arguing that you don't deserve a shot at that (through the appropriate funding programs). Frankly, I don't think many would even care if you received $25 M (which seems to be the precedent for facilities in Canada), as long as it came through the proper channels and programs (say, for the infrastructure upgrades/museum/recreation components, etc)
They put their proposal in the P3 program because that is the only program that the feds said we could possible qualify for.
Quote:
However, you seem to want to turn this into a "Saskatchewan is getting a raw deal" debate, rather than a debate over the merits and feasibility of this proposal. If that is how you feel (that the feds are being extremely unfair to the province that voted overwhelming in their favour), your argument might be better suited for a letter to your local MPs...
Saskatchewan is getting a raw deal, that is a fact. Hamilton, Toronto (BMO Field), and Winnipeg are receiving various levels of federal funding for their stadium projects, as of today we are not. Why should the Hamilton TigerCats receive a large amount of federal funding for their stadium (they are the legacy which is a condition for their funding) just because they are located in an area that is holding a two week international event that nobody cares about? Why was Saskatchewan told that the only avenue they could 'possibly' receive federal funding was through the P3 program when Manitoba is receiving 15mil? And as far as contacting my local phantom MP's, trust me most of them know me by name and cringe every time they see my number on their call display.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Where is YOUR proof that this stadium is approved? Hmmmm? Put up or shut up
You sure add alot to this discussion.

PS, be sure and thank the great Saskatoon MLA that is fighting tooth and nail to get this done!

Last edited by Migs; Jan 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan