HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 12:31 AM

My desk looks out the window at the new loading zone on Main. There's never any vehicles in it.

--

Also how do we just transplant the Grant access roads to Kenaston. That would be way better than expansion. And would make such a big difference south of Sterling Lyon.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:14 PM

So are these new loading zones they are adding to Hargrave now?
The highlighted parts are all new.

Before:

Last edited by rkspec; Oct 25, 2019 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:21 PM

I can't tell from the pics what's going on up there, but they've been slowly reconfiguring Hargrave for a while now... I'm not sure what the end goal is.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:27 PM

I understand loading zones, good example are the 2 enterprise trucks in the before pic...but modifying the street seems a bit excessive if you ask me.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 5:57 PM
Formerly rypinion

Main/Bannatyne Loading Zone

An interesting tidbit a friend (and past SSP contributor) dug up about the removal of sidewalk and creation of loading zone on Main at Bannatyne:

https://twitter.com/steveosnyder/sta...06655607877632

Tweet has a little more context but that's the important line.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 8:12 PM

In other words, "We don't give a shit about pedestrians".

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:08 PM

https://www.winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/Folde...2019&YEAR=2019

The City is undertaking yet another study of Marion St. This one extends all the way from St. Mary's up to and including Lagimodiere. Includes a complete streets review of the more urban end of Marion/Goulet near St. Mary's.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 11:53 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Winnipeg Street Lighting Survey:

Global News Winnipeg
Nov. 7, 2019

https://globalnews.ca/news/6141129/n...reet-lighting/

Interactive Map for Feedback
https://engage.winnipeg.ca/street-li...y#marker-23783

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 6:59 PM
BANNED

Why is JC paving be so bad? I don’t understand why they keep getting city contracts. They’re more than a month late on the Garry St work and on top of that you can’t use it anyways because they park their personal and company vehicles in it. They constantly have garbage and signage strewn randomly all over the sidewalk and street. there were similar issues with them doing the paving at 360 Assiniboine last year

Last edited by headhorse; Nov 8, 2019 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
Why is JC paving by so bad? I don’t understand why they keep getting city contracts. They’re more than a month late on the Garry St work and on top of that you can’t use it anyways because they park their personal and company vehicles in it. They constantly have garbage and signage strewn randomly all over the sidewalk and street. there were similar issues with them doing the pa omg at 360 Assiniboine last year
They are infamous in the industry. The city rarely looks beyond the lowest bid. I can only think of Wintec bidding the lowest and not getting awarded by the city for this type of work. Most of the hassle falls on the consulting engineer to chase them to complete the work properly. It's good work for civil engineering students.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:54 PM

They'll probably put in for extra work because they suck and took forever.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
https://www.winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/Folde...2019&YEAR=2019

The City is undertaking yet another study of Marion St. This one extends all the way from St. Mary's up to and including Lagimodiere. Includes a complete streets review of the more urban end of Marion/Goulet near St. Mary's.
This is good. It's assinine to make a plan for Marion & Archibald/Lag without considering it all the way to St. Mary's. If you're going to try and make traffic faster on the east end – it's going to affect the west (important) end.

I sincerely hope they come to the conclusion Marion should be 50 km/h and focus on the street. It's really turning a corner right now with a lot of cool new shops opening and streetfront improvements, especially around Marion & Tache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I can't tell from the pics what's going on up there, but they've been slowly reconfiguring Hargrave for a while now... I'm not sure what the end goal is.
North of the loading zone in the pic is going to be all angled parking. They had been using temporary curbs for the last two years to test it, now they're just making it permanent with bump outs like on James and McDermot.

They are also (finally) finally building the rest of the bike lane that mysteriously disappeared here even though there was tons of room and the boulevard was new, and connecting it to the lanes at McDermot. All they had to do was move one hydro pole... that was only put in last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
An interesting tidbit a friend (and past SSP contributor) dug up about the removal of sidewalk and creation of loading zone on Main at Bannatyne:

https://twitter.com/steveosnyder/sta...06655607877632

Tweet has a little more context but that's the important line.

Shocker.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 9:53 PM

https://greenactioncentre.ca/healthy...-and-the-city/

Green Action Centre and Downtown Winnipeg BIZ recently held a conference on the topic of Parking. Later on they boarded the "bus tarted up to look like a trolley" and toured various Winnipeg neighbourhoods.

In the late 90s I used to attend these kinds of conferences. Gord McGonigal and Jeff Lowe used to inform me of events like this. Or I'd visit my parents and see a news article or op-ed piece in the Free Press pertaining to "communities beyond the Perimeter are using our infrastructure and paying less tax. How do we "progressives" stop this and focus more on the "inner city?" But I guess I'm not in the loop anymore.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 12:16 AM

^^^

Nothing important. Just "Open House" style display boards at The Forks. Not really anyone there. Talked to a Crystal of FNP for a bit

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 9:34 PM
There is always a way

Hey does anyone know of any major infrastructure projects at the UofM? It almost looks like they're building a new roadway around the northeast side of campus.

Could it be related to the transitway?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Hey does anyone know of any major infrastructure projects at the UofM? It almost looks like they're building a new roadway around the northeast side of campus.

Could it be related to the transitway?
No connection to the transitway, just upgrading the very tired infrastructure (and I believe some riverbank stabilization). See map here:
https://news.umanitoba.ca/upgrades-w...more-inviting/

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 5:01 AM

They did a bunch of upgrades in last fall/this spring at Dysart & University as well. Those were partially for the transitway, but also reconfigured that intersection a bit with different signalling.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 5:03 AM

Construction update on the Empress & overpass upgrades:

Quote:
November 22, 2019 - Work is now complete for the 2019 construction season. All lanes of Empress Street from St. John Ambulance Way to St. Matthews Street are now open. We expect to open all lanes of Portage Avenue at the Empress Underpass on December 9, 2019.

Construction on the active transportation pathway, landscaping work and remaining bridge rehabilitation will resume in 2020. Construction notices and information about lane closures will be available in the spring.
Over the next 4 years, city plans to do full rehab or reconstruction on Broadway from Osborne to Main, Smith from Navy to Notre Dame, and Donald from Gertrude to St. Mary (excluding the bridge). See map here.

Smith is in dire need, so that's good. Donald south of the bridge is fairly new and in pretty good shape, so that seems odd to me.

On Broadway – I desperately hope they work with the BIZ and some proper planners on a more fulsome construction plan that includes decorative streetscaping and public realm enhancements. Make better use of the median, have some nice decorative lighting and street furniture (PLEASE make it all black or green) and some nice street signs that riff off the lush nature of Broadway. Would be a huge miss to just have the city rebuild the roads and not address the other infrastructure that hasn't been touched in decades.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Construction update on the Empress & overpass upgrades:

Over the next 4 years, city plans to do full rehab or reconstruction on Broadway from Osborne to Main, Smith from Navy to Notre Dame, and Donald from Gertrude to St. Mary (excluding the bridge). See map here.

Smith is in dire need, so that's good. Donald south of the bridge is fairly new and in pretty good shape, so that seems odd to me.

On Broadway – I desperately hope they work with the BIZ and some proper planners on a more fulsome construction plan that includes decorative streetscaping and public realm enhancements. Make better use of the median, have some nice decorative lighting and street furniture (PLEASE make it all black or green) and some nice street signs that riff off the lush nature of Broadway. Would be a huge miss to just have the city rebuild the roads and not address the other infrastructure that hasn't been touched in decades.
Most of Donald, Smith and all of Broadway will only be rehabbed based on that map. Only parts of Donald and Smith will see full reconstruction.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They did a bunch of upgrades in last fall/this spring at Dysart & University as well. Those were partially for the transitway, but also reconfigured that intersection a bit with different signalling.
They just added signals (there were none before), no reconfiguration aside from the turn lane for the transitway that was added just south of the intersection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan