HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 4:13 PM

In before the lock

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 5:14 PM

I'm a casual observer at best on the forums. I hardly post, as I don't have a lot of information to post. I don't have inside info or hearsay info. I agree with a couple of the previous posters in that this thread needs to be locked. It has nothing to do with the construction of the new multi-purpose facility that the province wants to build in Regina and more to do with us against them thread where the debate is getting old and useless. Why doesn't everyone just wait and listen for an announcement on whether it will get built or not? I do hope they build something be it a new open air or dome stadium, but until the announcement comes, then this is just the same old rhetoric that is annoying at best.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 6:09 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
two things:

The irony of TV pointing out the foolishness of migs's "inside scoop" when he has a history of doing the same re the return of the nhl to Winnipeg.
ha ha...i will be vindicated on that one opening day next season....

i very much want regina to build a new stadium....i support the CFL and want it to play in better than the third world facilities it does today....it would be awesome to have this facility built.

i am simply trying to bring a more realistic viewpoint....migs suggested that they havent trumpeted the urban renewal angle enough....it has been documented by many urban planning studies and expert sources that stadiums are not good catalysts for that....it is a fair opinion and hardly a new one....there are almost no examples of them actually having any impact on urban development....even the MTS centre in downtown winnipeg, which is far busier than this stadium will be, has had little impact.....it too was sold to government using the urban renewal argument.

he claims things like, the city will give crazy amounts of money, the private sector will donate 100 million dollars as if it were a charity and the financing is 90% finalized....all of these things deserved to be challenged....they may end up to be true, but until they come from another source it is not incorrect to be skeptical because they seem to fly in the face of logic and historic precedent....that is not to say that illogical things dont happen, but challenging the notion that they will is fair.

migs has been making insider claims for a year....none of which have come to fruition...if they do, i will be the first to be very happy about it...until then though, challenging him on what appear to unrealistic assertions is totally reasonable....it isnt intended as an insult....he states these things as if they are fact and then simply changes to another set of facts when the first ones dont materialize.

it was fair to challenge me on the jets and when circumstances changed that affected what i was claiming, i took the lumps......i will soon be vindicated....the question is, will migs?

Last edited by trueviking; Jan 21, 2011 at 6:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 6:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
ha ha...i will be vindicated on that one opening day next season....

i very much want regina to build a new stadium....i support the CFL and want it to play in better than the third world facilities it does today....it would be awesome to have this facility built.

i am simply trying to bring a more realistic viewpoint....migs suggested that they havent trumpeted the urban renewal angle enough....it has been documented by many sources that stadiums are not good catalysts for that....it is a fair opinion.

he claims things like, the city will give crazy amounts of money, the private sector will donate 100 million dollars as if it were a charity and the financing is 90% finalized....all of these things deserved to be challenged....they may end up to be true, but until they come from another source it is not incorrect to be skeptical because they seem to fly in the face of logic....that is not to say that illogical things dont happen, but challenging the notion that they will is fair.

migs has been making insider claims for a year....none of which have come to fruition...if they do, i will be the first to be very happy about it...until then though, challenging him on what appear to unrealistic assertions is totally reasonable.

...just as challenging me on the jets thing was....i will be vindicated....will migs?
Oh for the love of God, some of you guys seriously need to get a girlfriend, or at least a dog.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Not even close to putting anyone in their place.... With what hear say and opinions?

I will keep saying it until it happens, put up or shut up. Supposed facts and figures from all types of "officials" Yet not ONE bit of OFFICIAL news in how many months?

If nothing else this thread is good for a laugh or three, watching the spin doctor spin his half truths and opinions
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
what kind of a person would even say say anything like this , monitor please step in this has become a thread of hate
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterp View Post
Please lock this thread. What a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
this is very much uncalled for i agree close the thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robag View Post
I'm a casual observer at best on the forums. I hardly post, as I don't have a lot of information to post. I don't have inside info or hearsay info. I agree with a couple of the previous posters in that this thread needs to be locked. It has nothing to do with the construction of the new multi-purpose facility that the province wants to build in Regina and more to do with us against them thread where the debate is getting old and useless. Why doesn't everyone just wait and listen for an announcement on whether it will get built or not? I do hope they build something be it a new open air or dome stadium, but until the announcement comes, then this is just the same old rhetoric that is annoying at best.
How can people living through a Regina winter possibly be so thin-skinned???
This an Internet Forum for crying out loud! This is not where one should be looking for calm & reasonable discussion. All in all, I'd say that this stuff is all pretty mild-mannered compared to most of the dialogue that happens on the net.

To move things back on topic, here's my two cents: The project is nowhere near being financially viable to support itself, but will likley be built simply to satisy political motives. And I really don't have a problem with that, so long as the City of Regina pays for the operating expenses.

Now, everybody smile and have a nice day. Things could be worse - you could be living in Winnipeg!

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan