HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Nakheel Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Dubai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 5:39 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

If information is posted correctly and appropriately, there won't be problems/criticism.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 5:48 AM
Hala Wal'la

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Sorry, but this borders on retarded. Simply a publcity stunt.
I know I know ! it hurts ^.^ but this is for real

But on a more serious note alliance ... Chicago is a great city, dont be a greedy person, you cant have it all.... stop hating on others so much

Yum

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calrissian View Post
Same was said for the Burj Dubai.

I am guessing its been said for just about any revolutionary skyscraper ever built. Indeed, maybe even the builders of the pyramids said the same thing, but they made it anyway.
--

I remain surprised that there are still a few visionaries in this messed up world, people with ideas that can inspire and make the world a slightly more interesting place.
Yes, but nothing on a scale like this before. What about the buildings already dwarfed by the Burj Dubai? Now just think...how would they look stacked next to the Tall Tower?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 6:23 PM
Fantastic!!

Is this it ??

I found this one, but they're not the same height.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_UAE View Post
I know I know ! it hurts ^.^ but this is for real

But on a more serious note alliance ... Chicago is a great city, dont be a greedy person, you cant have it all.... stop hating on others so much
I would cry if this thing was built in Chicago,I highly doubt he has any jeolusy or greed Dubia can do whatever it wants,I highly appreciate this,and if it gets built it will be a Marvel of architecture and engineering,but I personaly doubt most people will like it,it might be ugly,its got a stupid name,but heck, its pretty frigen amazing,noone can trul deny that.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 5:27 AM
BANNED

I wouldn't want this in Chicago, we don't have the demand for anywhere near this much space. It would remain 75% empty for years and would probably cause massive price drops in downtown real estate and mess up our economy.

There is no way this could get approved here since the whole city would reject it as useless and excessive and impractical.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 7:29 PM

Al Burj rederings and inner plaza starting at 6:45!

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
I don't think that such a design as in the render (which isn't official) is not really possible to be build. The pressure from all those floors on the bottom floors would be enormous...

Why do you think that all skyscrapers that are build end in a peek or keel? That's to lower the pressure on the bottom floors.

And more than 1,000m of concrete, steel and glass, what would be the weight of that? It would be enormous! Too much for the basement floors and the rest at the bottom of the tower.

But that's my opinion, although I'm sure of it.
Beyond what you've mentioned ... what the hell are they building it on, sand right? I think this one doesn't have a chance.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 1:51 PM
Hala Wal'la

Apex attend the first 20 minutes of a 101 soil mechanics class at any college and you will realize what you just said is retarted XD ok sorry i know thats rude of me but come on man !

Yum

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
Al Burj rederings and inner plaza starting at 6:45!

Video Link
Those are old renderings, and the new renderings have not been spotlighted.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 4:24 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_UAE View Post
Apex attend the first 20 minutes of a 101 soil mechanics class at any college and you will realize what you just said is retarted XD ok sorry i know thats rude of me but come on man !
Well, there actually might be some truth to what he said. Groundwater in the desert is about 3 times as corrosive as normal groundwater, so the foundations of these buildings are built into a pretty extreme soil environment.

For the Burj Dubai, they had to create a new cathodic protection system that had never been used before....even then, they only designed it to last for 100 years. After that, who knows what will happen? They are hopeful that it will last longer, but corrosion can be a pretty nasty thing for sub-grade reinforced concrete, and you can't exactly replace a cathodic protection system sealed inside the foundation.

So, for a building of this scale, corrosion will be a huge concern, especially since they plan to build such a deep foundation. Its location in the desert is exactly why it's such a problem.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 4:47 PM
Architecture student

That's totally true. Skyscrapers over the world are build on a location that is the best. New York suppertalls on the rock, Petronas Towers with foundations of 120m in the bedrock,...

And now the Al Burj or Tall Tower in the middle of the desert, with nothing solid in the ground...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 6:52 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequal View Post
That's totally true. Skyscrapers over the world are build on a location that is the best. New York suppertalls on the rock, Petronas Towers with foundations of 120m in the bedrock,...

And now the Al Burj or Tall Tower in the middle of the desert, with nothing solid in the ground...
I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but I'll respond as best I can:

Supertalls anywhere, regardless of whether they're on a man-made island or on top of a mountain or whatever, will always be supported by bedrock. Essentially, every piece of steel and concrete transmits forces from the tower down all the way into the bedrock, which is, because of it's enormous size, suitable for handling just about anything we build on top of it. So, whether in New York or Dubai, Chicago or Kuala Lumpur, the tower will have to be connected somehow to the bedrock. If it's right under the surface, it's fairly simple; if it's much deeper (in Chicago, for example, it's like 100 feet below the surface), then large caissons are needed. I have no idea how deep the bedrock is in Dubai, but regardless they will not build the tower on top of sand, as some people here believe.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2008, 9:04 PM
Architecture student

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic, but I'll respond as best I can:

Supertalls anywhere, regardless of whether they're on a man-made island or on top of a mountain or whatever, will always be supported by bedrock. Essentially, every piece of steel and concrete transmits forces from the tower down all the way into the bedrock, which is, because of it's enormous size, suitable for handling just about anything we build on top of it. So, whether in New York or Dubai, Chicago or Kuala Lumpur, the tower will have to be connected somehow to the bedrock. If it's right under the surface, it's fairly simple; if it's much deeper (in Chicago, for example, it's like 100 feet below the surface), then large caissons are needed. I have no idea how deep the bedrock is in Dubai, but regardless they will not build the tower on top of sand, as some people here believe.
You're right what you're saying, but we can't conclude anything yet because the new renders and design aren't published yet. Maybe the whole design is changed dramatically, maybe not. Although I don't think it would be possible to build the Al Burj as the previous designs, or the bottom of the tower must have the walls of a bunker...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
but regardless they will not build the tower on top of sand, as some people here believe.
Actually, much of the buildings built in Dubai use "skin friction" techniques. As you pile drive a steel pillar into sand, it will eventually stop once friction between the steel post and the sand around it reaches maximum contact resistance.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 8:43 PM
Go Chiefs!

I can't wait to see this monster getting up in the air.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 2:33 PM

I've been thinking about this and I think it's incredible but to build a near mile high tower it's got be really special and i'm not sure if this will have it.

I think one thing about Dubai is that it has no fixed fixed centre. I think they should build up Dubai Waterfront more and not make skyscrapers like this.

If the UAE is going to make themselves the worlds biggest tourist destanantion then they should get a move on big time. The Oil will run out in 20 years and this tower isn't helping.

I personally think this is a publicity stunt but if it isn't then whats the point in it.

They need a postcard destanation like the Statue of Liverty, Eiffel Tower or Big Ben.

Another thing someone said was that you can't build a tower on sand that's true but there's stuff underneath sand.

And with so many floors how do you get so many elavators in a building that size and if i've bought the penthouse i'm not going to wait 10 minutes to get to the top am i ( I haven't bought the penthouse the way and don't want to know how much it would cost ).

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisblack View Post
The Oil will run out in 20 years and this tower isn't helping.
How is it not helping? If anything, developments like these are intended to shift Dubai's economy away from oil revenue.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 10:40 AM

Geez this kid is thick (lewisblack)..... have you ever heard of an express elevator? I guess they should have come to you first since you're the only person asking the important questions. There's stuff underneath the sand??

Old Posted Jul 18, 2008, 11:55 PM
· · · · · · · ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post

Shouldn't it be called it the "REALLY Tall Tower"?

^ But it's not really tall... it's hyper tall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive