HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 12:27 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBruin View Post
I found most of the homeless people in Chicago to be quite polite. Most of them seemed to just want to sit down with me and tell me their backstory. I guess it was a ploy to get money, but nobody was super aggressive when I politely declined.

I had a homeless person get up and cough on me when I wouldn't give them money in LA. It was a whole different sort of thing.
Yeah I’ve volunteered at a couple of soup kitchens and a food pantry when I lived in Chicago and I’ve volunteered here in Sacramento and I can honestly say there is a big difference in the homeless population here and the homeless in Chicago. We have a lot of unsheltered here in California with serious substance abuse and mental health issues. Granted, we have some who’ve became homeless and don’t want to be but we have a number who lack the mental capacity to be on the streets and many others who are more concerned where they’ll find their next fix (or 40 ounce).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 1:45 AM

When I lived in Houston I usually just ignored them. I've tried being nice and gave something but it wasn't appreciated so I was like f*** it and kept it moving. Once I gave a man a dollar (was all I had). He looks at me and says"what the f*** am I going to do with this a**hole?", I said nothing now and took it back. Another time I saw a woman outside of Of Donald's asking for money. I assumed she was hungry and I bought a burger and fries. When I gave it to her she said I'd rather smokes and a bottle of wine but thanks. At least she said thanks right, lol. Some can be bold and try to hit you up in businesses like grocery stores.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 2:41 AM
Beer Stampede

A few thoughts come to mind....

I encounter quite a few of them when I run a downtown delivery route. Like most people on here, I rarely carry cash and politely decline. Earlier this summer, one day, I was eating my lunch in the company truck, and a fellow on a bicycle came by and asked me for some lunch. I had about 15 minutes left on my lunch break and I was essentially finished eating, so I decided to go buy him lunch. There were no fast food restaurants nearby, but there was this greasy spoon diner that was a few blocks away, so I drove over there, and he followed me and we went inside. I gave him a menu and told him to order whatever he wanted. He gave his order, and I prepaid it including a 20% tip to the waitress, and then left. He was very appreciative for what I did. I rarely ever do anything like that for anyone homeless, save for something like a few tacos at Taco Bell or giving someone 5 bucks, but this guy was a pretty nice guy. I don't know his story, nor do I really want to know, but on that particular day. It was good helping him out.

And that's what I try to do. I've pumped gas into someone else's tank a couple of times. Obviously, I can't do it for everyone, but if I can help someone out, I try to do what I can.

One thing I'm curious about, and maybe someone on here can help me answer this question. What's up with the homeless veterans? As someone mentioned earlier, you see a lot of signs with "homeless veteran" on it. I would assume that most of them are veterans, because impersonating a veteran (stolen valor) is obviously against the law, although there are a few that still try to do it. But the big question is, why doesn't the VA help them out? I'm asking out of ignorance here, because I don't know what role they play to a veteran once they're discharged. I had an acquaintance that was on military disability tell me that many of them were dishonorably discharged, and obviously the VA can no longer help them. I was wondering if that's true??

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Yeah I’ve volunteered at a couple of soup kitchens and a food pantry when I lived in Chicago and I’ve volunteered here in Sacramento and I can honestly say there is a big difference in the homeless population here and the homeless in Chicago. We have a lot of unsheltered here in California with serious substance abuse and mental health issues. Granted, we have some who’ve became homeless and don’t want to be but we have a number who lack the mental capacity to be on the streets and many others who are more concerned where they’ll find their next fix (or 40 ounce).
That's not my experience. LA's homeless made seem "weirder" but they're not nearly as agressive towards others as those in Chicago or the east coast cities.
I've had homeless in Chicago threaten me with violence/follow me for a scare tatic etc.
Obvioulsy not all, but LA's are not just as threatening in general.

My friends in Chicago have a bad opinion of the homeless in their city because of their aggressive nature. They think LA is the same way, and I tell them it's not the same.
I remember Baltimore and DC being more similar to Chicago as well for this.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 3:14 PM

I typically just say "no, sorry" when approached. When I get a longer sob story or something I say sorry again and keep walking eventually ignoring them. I've yet to encounter a really aggressive panhandler. Maybe I don't look like someone they think they can intimidate into giving them money. I'm pretty tall ha.

I basically ignore the ones on the side of the road/freeway off-ramps. Although I've seen a couple of those actually picking up the trash on the ramp in between the red lights when cars are moving. I respect that and will probably give them something the next time I see that.

The lack of any kind of self or societal respect many of them have is highly annoying, especially the amount of litter they create. So when the odd guy actually recognizes that and picks up trash, I appreciate that. Even if it may just be a ploy to get people to give them more money (I'd imagine it works).

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcexpress69 View Post
A few thoughts come to mind....

I encounter quite a few of them when I run a downtown delivery route. Like most people on here, I rarely carry cash and politely decline. Earlier this summer, one day, I was eating my lunch in the company truck, and a fellow on a bicycle came by and asked me for some lunch. I had about 15 minutes left on my lunch break and I was essentially finished eating, so I decided to go buy him lunch. There were no fast food restaurants nearby, but there was this greasy spoon diner that was a few blocks away, so I drove over there, and he followed me and we went inside. I gave him a menu and told him to order whatever he wanted. He gave his order, and I prepaid it including a 20% tip to the waitress, and then left. He was very appreciative for what I did. I rarely ever do anything like that for anyone homeless, save for something like a few tacos at Taco Bell or giving someone 5 bucks, but this guy was a pretty nice guy. I don't know his story, nor do I really want to know, but on that particular day. It was good helping him out.

And that's what I try to do. I've pumped gas into someone else's tank a couple of times. Obviously, I can't do it for everyone, but if I can help someone out, I try to do what I can.

One thing I'm curious about, and maybe someone on here can help me answer this question. What's up with the homeless veterans? As someone mentioned earlier, you see a lot of signs with "homeless veteran" on it. I would assume that most of them are veterans, because impersonating a veteran (stolen valor) is obviously against the law, although there are a few that still try to do it. But the big question is, why doesn't the VA help them out? I'm asking out of ignorance here, because I don't know what role they play to a veteran once they're discharged. I had an acquaintance that was on military disability tell me that many of them were dishonorably discharged, and obviously the VA can no longer help them. I was wondering if that's true??
In L.A. the Veterans Administration apparently lets some of the homeless vets stay on the VA campus in west L.A., at least the older ones. I agree, vets should always be housed. Not sure if they turn away those that were dishonorably discharged. What the cities should do, until more shelters/housing is provided, is provide a big piece of city land and let the homeless set up tents, or set up tent shelters cheaply. Provide bathrooms, showers, laundry facilities and security. Better than camping on the streets. All cities own vacant land. If you are dirty and reek unlikely anybody will hire you. A downward spiral.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions