HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonguy View Post
Looks like the old Target in Lawson Mall is going to be a Safeway, opening in 2018
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...hts-mall-union
That's great news! Even though they're pretty much the same at this point, still prefer Safeway over Sobey's (which was the rumour for that location until now) and it will be nice not to lose another Safeway in town.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:48 PM

Your not going to stop burbs but you can design the more compact also with The Banks, Shangri-la and River Landing 1 the downtown seems to be getting more people living close by. Hope it keeps up. City council seems to be still for downtown growth but balancing is always tricky thing.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Your not going to stop burbs but you can design the more compact also with The Banks, Shangri-la and River Landing 1 the downtown seems to be getting more people living close by. Hope it keeps up. City council seems to be still for downtown growth but balancing is always tricky thing.
a colleague of mine has an uncle who is sitting as one of the council members, mentioned that downtown/infill is a top priority on the agenda for the next few years.

i still wouldve loved to see the Market Mall condo project go ahead. Why was it cancelled anyways...too much hate mail from the elderly ?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 8:32 PM

HAHAHA good one, but I believe it was sold to another company and they have decided not to proceed with this, may change in the future. Too bad for that one would have been good for that mall.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 8:39 PM

Here's the article on Market Mall sale

http://thestarphoenix.com/business/r...al-estate-firm

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Here's the article on Market Mall sale

http://thestarphoenix.com/business/r...al-estate-firm
thanks. Interesting article.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 2:30 PM

North Bridge

Looking at the construction camera on the north bridge. Nice to see it's connected to both sides of the river now.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 3:25 PM

No permits issued for police station revitalization; developer says design taking longer than expected

Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: August 4, 2017 | Last Updated: August 4, 2017 7:00 AM CST

Quote:
While the developers behind two proposed downtown office buildings have pledged to start construction in the next few weeks, the new owner of Saskatoon’s old police station has been slow to begin transforming the building into what has been described as 60,900 square feet of “best-in-class” office space.

City council approved the sale of the 41-year-old building to Duchuck Holdings Ltd. for $10.7 million late last year. At the time, a spokesman for the company said it would finalize plans once tenants had been secured. As of last week, however, the company had not applied for or received a building permit in 2017, according to city records.

Almost six months after the sale closed, the massive property — which has been vacant since the police moved to a new station on 25th Street East in 2014, and also includes the parking lot on the corner of Fourth Avenue and 23rd Street — is still adorned with ‘For Lease’ signs.

“Just the design of the build is taking longer (than expected) to complete,” sad ICR Commercial Real Estate partner Barry Stuart, who brokered the deal and spoke on behalf of Duchuck Holdings president Brent Suer. The building’s boilers are expected to be replaced this fall, and work on the new exterior will likely start in the spring, Stuart added.

Stuart added that the project will “to the best of our knowledge” be the first major refurbishment in the city to target a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) gold standard. While a cost estimate for the revitalization is not yet available, it is “undoubtedly” going forward, he said.

Meanwhile, at least two other major construction projects in the downtown core are expected to get underway soon.

Work is expected to begin this month on the first of two office towers at the south downtown River Landing site, a spokesman for Triovest Realtors Advisors Inc., one of the partners behind the $300 million development, said last week. Another partner, Greystone Managed Investments Inc., has confirmed that MLT Aikins LLP will be one of the building’s tenants.

“We’re ready to go,” Triovest project manager Blair Sinclair told the Saskatoon StarPhoenix. “Permits are in place and we’ll be underway by the middle of August.”

Despite pushing its planned construction start date to fall from summer, Canwest Commercial and Land Corp. likewise plans to forge ahead with its project — the nine-storey, $50 million “World Trade Center Saskatoon” that is expected to go up on the corner of Third Avenue and 22nd Street. The building is a scaled-back version of a previously planned 27-storey highrise.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-than-expected

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
No permits issued for police station revitalization; developer says design taking longer than expected

Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: August 4, 2017 | Last Updated: August 4, 2017 7:00 AM CST

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...-than-expected

well with the 2 new office buildings going up, im fine with this waiting a bit. id like to see the lot beside it be developed into something though.

i still wish that "twin tower" project with the new library underneath it wouldve went ahead.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 5:27 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2017, 7:20 PM

Having a shuttle bus running around DT would probably take care of some of the reasons people say they don't like going DT because of the parking, etc. I think it would be an excellent idea especially if they could integrate it with the BRT they have planned. Have it run right past the co-op grocery store that you envision. All sounds good hope someday that it becomes a reality.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Having a shuttle bus running around DT would probably take care of some of the reasons people say they don't like going DT because of the parking, etc. I think it would be an excellent idea especially if they could integrate it with the BRT they have planned. Have it run right past the co-op grocery store that you envision. All sounds good hope someday that it becomes a reality.
I live in City Park and work downtown - pay for parking both in my condo underground and am contemplating paying for underground this winter downtown near my office.. flipping insane paying $300-400/month for parking but what are u gonna do. I walk in the summers, by taking a bus is completely unfeasible as buses aren't connected efficiently to city park and the downtown. It just doesn't work, which is mind blowing since where I work is probably the center of the city on 2nd with the most people working around it.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2017, 2:37 PM

My point exactly, this would work for you. What I was referring to about the parking thing was more for people living in suburbs which are use to no pay parking. I still like the idea of a shuttle bus running around downtown. When I lived in Vancouver back in the eighties I worked downtown and lived in the suburb next door. It would have cost me back then $250/month for parking. This was over 50% of what i paid for rent at the time, I decided to take the bus which was called an express bus at the time, a form of BRT. Still took an hour at 6:00am and driving would have taken me 25 Minutes. So I know what you are saying, not many choices.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 12:37 AM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 1:37 PM

I saw blue construction fencing in Midtown Parking lot by the Toys'r'us location (east side). Anyone have any idea what is happening there? A new downtown arena????!!! haha

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 2:47 PM
Saskatoon

Didn't we have a shuttle bus downtown that they discontinued about five or six years ago? It was red, one of those 15 passenger handibus things, and sponsored by the Partnership and ran between Broadway, Downtown, and Riversdale or 8th St BIDs. I don't think anyone really used it...maybe if it had looked like an actual city bus and not a private venture.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 3:13 PM

^ Yeah, I think it was the Crescent Shuttle.

The City and BIDs had developed a "Cultural Crescent" Strategy to better link Broadway, Downtown, and Riversdale and the free shuttle was one of the things implemented. I think it was the better part of 10 years ago now, and it bombed.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I saw blue construction fencing in Midtown Parking lot by the Toys'r'us location (east side). Anyone have any idea what is happening there? A new downtown arena????!!! haha
im surprised thats still open, that spot would be a great area for some good downtown development if anything happens to toys r us

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
im surprised thats still open, that spot would be a great area for some good downtown development if anything happens to toys r us
Toys R' Us would probably be better off elsewhere anyways.

Preston Crossing, Brighton, Meadows Market.. Anywhere but downtown.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
The City and BIDs had developed a "Cultural Crescent" Strategy to better link Broadway, Downtown, and Riversdale and the free shuttle was one of the things implemented. I think it was the better part of 10 years ago now, and it bombed.
I remember that, too bad it didn't work out, maybe they should just stick with the downtown area to start off and use something that was kind of different. Maybe Saskatoon is still too small or the timing wrong for this type of service. When they start the BRT it might be looked at in a more service oriented wa, that is if anyone uses the BRT.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan